Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New "Scientific" Scare...

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    I'd think, basically, if we could move the oceans and continents around so we had equal "weight" distribution across the "surface" of the Earth, there wouldn't be much wobble to speak with....much like balancing a tire. As is, there is unequal densities spread across the "upper crust" of the Earth, and thus we are slightly out of balance, and tend to wobble a bit.
    A pretty simplistic view, but none the less......
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    I'm not sure but think about a merry-go-round. The centrifugal force tries to throw riders away from the center. Without gravity, centrifugal forces would throw us off the planet. By the same token, without spin, gravity would take over and increase our weight, possibly crushing us.

The rotation of the earth does indeed slightly reduce the perceived pull of gravity, but it's a slight effect.

It the earth stopped rotating, you might feel (at the equator where the effect is strongest) maybe 102% of normal G force (that is, 1.02G instead of 1.00G). You would not be crushed. You would not even notice it.

However, if GRAVITY suddenly went away, everything (including parts of the earth's crust) would indeed be flung into space via centrifugal force.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    So, back to the question... what's causing the electro-magnetic force strong enough to affect the earth's rotation?
    Who says this?

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Geez, you're missing the obvious. windmills are slowing down our rotation.......

Yeah, but cow farts act like small rocket engines and the accumulated thrust balances out the windmill losses.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    I'd think, basically, if we could move the oceans and continents around so we had equal "weight" distribution across the "surface" of the Earth, there wouldn't be much wobble to speak with....much like balancing a tire. As is, there is unequal densities spread across the "upper crust" of the Earth, and thus we are slightly out of balance, and tend to wobble a bit.
    A pretty simplistic view, but none the less......

I hate to keep saying you're wrong... but you're wrong.

The earth "wobbles" due to gyroscopic precession.

Think of a toy top. I'm sure you would agree that the top it quite well balanced as far as mass distribution is concerned.

Spin up the top. You will see it start to wobble and gradually wobble more as time passes. Why?

Because, although it seems as though the spot where the top is sitting is not moving, indeed it IS moving... the earth is rotating and the top is moving also, within inertial space.

Imagine standing on earth at the equator. At some point, your head points due west (relative to INERTIAL space). 12 hours later it points due east.

If you held onto a stable, spinning gyro (or maybe a spinning bicycle wheel) it would slowly tilt in your hands due to the earth moving your position. Get it?

Also, check out this video.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Yeah, but cow farts act like small rocket engines and the accumulated thrust balances out the windmill losses.
    But don't all the cows have to face the opposite direction of the wind driving the windmills?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    But don't all the cows have to face the opposite direction of the wind driving the windmills?
    They do that automatically. It's in their DNA.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    I hate to keep saying you're wrong... but you're wrong.

The earth "wobbles" due to gyroscopic precession.

Think of a toy top. I'm sure you would agree that the top it quite well balanced as far as mass distribution is concerned.

Spin up the top. You will see it start to wobble and gradually wobble more as time passes. Why?

Because, although it seems as though the spot where the top is sitting is not moving, indeed it IS moving... the earth is rotating and the top is moving also, within inertial space.

Imagine standing on earth at the equator. At some point, your head points due west (relative to INERTIAL space). 12 hours later it points due east.

If you held onto a stable, spinning gyro (or maybe a spinning bicycle wheel) it would slowly tilt in your hands due to the earth moving your position. Get it?

Also, check out this video.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    They do that automatically. It's in their DNA.
    Right.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12