Thread: Home-Defense Shotguns: Are Magazine-Feds the New Thing?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post Home-Defense Shotguns: Are Magazine-Feds the New Thing?

After today, it's all historical.

Great article. I sort of figured the mag-fed pump shotgun was sort of gimmicky and not altogether needed. I use a Winchester 1300 for home defense that I added a side saddle and buttstock shell holder to. I practice with slug and 00 buck change outs and have to say that I have gotten pretty good at it. That right there is why I don't think I would get a mag-fed shotgun. Being able to switch between slugs and buck on the fly seems to be the greater advantage to me over the use of a magazine. Just my thoughts.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I have a Saiga Mag-fed shotgun, but I don't use it for home defense. I like the Saiga because you can get 20 rnd. drums and 10 rnd. stick mags for it. It's as easy to change out mags as an AK is. As far as reliability goes, it's never skipped a beat and goes bang when you pull the trigger.

My home defense shotguns are a Rem. 870 and Kel-Tec KSG. If anything gets past those two then I'm in a world of trouble....

As far as the two pump action, mag fed shotguns, I would never own either one. The biggest thing, for me, is they both look stupid.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I have to wonder how long plastic shotgun shells can be loaded in magazine without being deformed.

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I have to wonder how long plastic shotgun shells can be loaded in magazine without being deformed.
    That's a concern of mine, too. All my Saiga mags are stored unloaded so as not to deform them, if they do tend to deform.

I, only, load them up when I'm going shooting and unload them when I finish.

I wish they'd make steel ones.

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

The shell deformation is a much bigger problem in a tubular shotgun magazine.

Sometimes, if shells are left in a tube mag, especially and extended mag, the shells will begin to be compressed and form bulges above the shell head.
    This seems to be worse in police guns carried in upright patrol car racks in the summer and in well used cars that bounce a lot on city streets.

Once the shells start to bulge they will continue, even if you take them out an "rest" them. Once back in the mag they continue where they left off.
    This seems to be worse with foreign shells and cheap shells due to weaker or thinner plastic.

I once loaded a Remington 870 with a mag extension with some Federal #1 buckshot shells.
    Within one month the shells were bulging.

Personally, I think the way to go with a defense shotgun is something like the Kel-Tec KSG with it's two magazine tubes.
    You get more shells then a standard pump, but without the bulky and LONG box magazines on the AK type shotguns.
    The shotgun box mags are huge for the number of shells they hold, but admittedly, no shotgun can be reloaded faster.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    The shell deformation is a much bigger problem in a tubular shotgun magazine.

Sometimes, if shells are left in a tube mag, especially and extended mag, the shells will begin to be compressed and form bulges above the shell head.
    This seems to be worse in police guns carried in upright patrol car racks in the summer and in well used cars that bounce a lot on city streets.

Once the shells start to bulge they will continue, even if you take them out an "rest" them. Once back in the mag they continue where they left off.
    This seems to be worse with foreign shells and cheap shells due to weaker or thinner plastic.

I once loaded a Remington 870 with a mag extension with some Federal #1 buckshot shells.
    Within one month the shells were bulging.

Personally, I think the way to go with a defense shotgun is something like the Kel-Tec KSG with it's two magazine tubes.
    You get more shells then a standard pump, but without the bulky and LONG box magazines on the AK type shotguns.

The shotgun box mags are huge for the number of shells they hold, but admittedly, no shotgun can be reloaded faster.
    I loves me muh KelTek.....

Freedom isn't free.

So do I........

A "fluff and buff" of key areas, a Magpul VFG, and no other modifications except for the sight.
    I wanted a gun that didn't need to have an electronic sight turned on or failed batteries, nor having to pop up sights or sights that could get bent or broken off.

No extended magazine switch, no shell deflector, no useless additions.
    I did buy the Kel-Tec extended butt pad.

I have the flip-up iron sights, a sling, and the triangular forearm grip on the front. I did mount a flashlight on the side and check it every week to make sure the batteries are still good.

It sits right beside my bed.....and keeps any nightmares away....

Freedom isn't free.

"It sits right beside my bed.....and keeps any nightmares away.... "

Something the Left can never understand or is even capable of understanding.

Americans are one of the VERY few people in the history of the world who don't have to lay in bed worrying about a government 2:00 am knock on the door or a criminal in the living room.
    The Left can't comprehend this feeling of well-being.

No magazine on my 12 ga. as it is a SxS. It also has double triggers so I can fire both barrels at the same time and send a "cloud" of 55 pellets (40 - #4 Buck & 15 - 00 Buck). Then I grab the AK from the rack just above the shottie with its 40 round banana. It has a mix of milsurp HP, FMJ and hunting grade PSPs.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Ive got a vepr and a Keltec and really cant see using either of them as a SD weapon...Good ole remington 870 works for me.