Thread: The Mutt project

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

The Mutt project

Out of bordom i just ordered a new norinco full size 1911 frame online. $50 + shipping. When i receive it i am going to attempt to build a functioning gun using only parts from my local gun smiths junk bin. I am also thinking about different plating options. Shiny chrome? Gold? What do you think?
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    You shouldn't have a problem other than deciding on the finish. I did a similar thing with a Beretta 92FS, collecting parts over a 12 or so year period. Slapped it together and amazing, as accurate as any straight from the factory 92FS.

It's a lot of fun, and very rewarding.

As to color, I have always been a fan of the old Colt liquid blue.

called my local smith and he told me there is enough in the junk bin to make a half dozen 1911 pistols. So wont be a problem getting all the parts. slides are all name brand and there are a few USGI barrels so should be pretty cool when finished.

OH that is SO cool. So I'm not the only one that likes to build from crap.

But I mostly build ARs, or some parts bin pistol parts to alter some pistols.

BISHOP

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Out of bordom i just ordered a new norinco full size 1911 frame online. $50 + shipping. When i receive it i am going to attempt to build a functioning gun using only parts from my local gun smiths junk bin. I am also thinking about different plating options. Shiny chrome? Gold? What do you think?
    Nickel plating is superior to chrome plating.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    You shouldn't have a problem other than deciding on the finish. I did a similar thing with a Beretta 92FS, collecting parts over a 12 or so year period. Slapped it together and amazing, as accurate as any straight from the factory 92FS.

It's a lot of fun, and very rewarding.

As to color, I have always been a fan of the old Colt liquid blue.

I second that.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

so update. There was a gunshow in town this weekend that ended at 2pm today. I showed up at 1230pm and walked around looking for scraps. I first found a ww2 HS marked barrel that the seller was asking $60 I offered him $50 and he took it. So i carried on and found another table with a number of ww2 era USGI 1911 pistols for sale. I asked the guy if he had any parts. He produced a ziplock sandwich baggie with the rest of the parts in it. There is a Colt barrel that is in excellent shape and all the other parts pictured. He asked $40, I offered $35 and he took it. So i paid $85 Canadian for these items. The authentic Colt barrel and series 70 4 fingered collet bushing is the winner in that bag. The beaver tail grip safety is marked CM which i am not sure of that manufacture. Looks new. These were parts he removed from pistols to make them "original" again. There is also a Wilson Combat rear sight which will be going on the gun. Here are some pics. Both barrels are dirty but the Colt one looks near new. The HS marked barrel is slightly pitted. Might actually be dirt i am not sure but the throat and crown are just dandy so it should be a good one as well. Might be worth a trade for other parts I need.

Last edited by rci2950; 10-14-2018 at 06:49 PM.

there is also this spring loaded guide rod. not sure why the spring if anyone wants to weigh in.

You may already have this, but this is what I found:

It might be of some help....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

hey thanks yes it is a help now i understand what the spring tab is for and a number of other things. the spring tab is to hold the slide shut more solidly by placing pressure on the barrel link. Its an accurising thing.

is that to rotate the barrel link into position to make putting the slide stop in easier?

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    is that to rotate the barrel link into position to make putting the slide stop in easier?
    Maybe?

So I looked at the slides in my gun smith's take off parts bin and there is a nice systema slide in there and enough parts to get that look. I am wondering however what the grip slabs were made of on the argentine colt contract 1911. Looks like some sort of black material on some... maybe just plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    So I looked at the slides in my gun smith's take off parts bin and there is a nice systema slide in there and enough parts to get that look. I am wondering however what the grip slabs were made of on the argentine colt contract 1911. Looks like some sort of black material on some... maybe just plastic?
    I wonder if they could be bakelite...?

Freedom isn't free.

Sure is possible i think i like the wood better so will go that rout. But digging through his bin there is enough there to make this thing be a systema... there is also an Inglis and a Remington slide but both of those are very worn. This argentine slide has a lot of life left in it.