Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump administration proposes tough rules to crack down on the First Amendment

Exclamation Trump administration proposes tough rules to crack down on the First Amendment

The Trump administration is proposing to overhaul rules for protests in front of the White House and at other iconic locations in Washington, D.C., in an effort that opponents say is aimed at shutting down free speech.

The National Park Service’s (NPS) proposal, for which public comments are due by Monday, would close much of the sidewalk north of the White House to protests, limit the ability for groups to have spontaneous protests without permits in that area and on the National Mall and open the door to potentially charging some demonstrating groups fees and costs for their events.

The plan was released in August with little fanfare. But civil rights groups have been sounding alarm bells in recent days as the comment period comes to a close.
    https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...es-on-protests

I think they tried this shit in Soviet Russia. Shut down all the protests.

Didn't end too well for the powers-that-be...
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Not the first time the sidewalk located between the Whitehouse and Lafayette Park was closed. This is likely a Secret Service decision intended to keep bombers at a greater distance, not a Trump effort to eliminate free speech as you suggest. Lafayette Park has always been open to demonstrators and I am sure this will always be so. Visitors to DC should take note of the pure black Squirrels in Lafayette Park, a rare variation of the common Grey Squirrel. In the early AM the park is swarming with rats.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAGC View Post
    https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...es-on-protests

I think they tried this shit in Soviet Russia. Shut down all the protests.

Didn't end too well for the powers-that-be...
    How is this shutting down all protests. It is not even shutting down one protest. Like Jet said it is providing a safer distance between the President and those who are actively calling for violence against him and his supporters (actually anyone who disagrees with Democrats and liberals).
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Visitors to DC should take note of the pure black Squirrels in Lafayette Park, a rare variation of the common Grey Squirrel.
    I've seen those black squirrels, they are cool looking!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    How is this shutting down all protests. It is not even shutting down one protest. Like Jet said it is providing a safer distance between the President
    I don't recall the First Amendment saying you can only assemble in government-designated "free speech zones."

Seems to be business-as-usual at Republican events, just ban all protests except for designated "free speech zone" located many blocks away from the venue where no one at the event will see it.
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Not the first time the sidewalk located between the Whitehouse and Lafayette Park was closed. This is likely a Secret Service decision intended to keep bombers at a greater distance, not a Trump effort to eliminate free speech as you suggest. Lafayette Park has always been open to demonstrators and I am sure this will always be so. Visitors to DC should take note of the pure black Squirrels in Lafayette Park, a rare variation of the common Grey Squirrel. In the early AM the park is swarming with rats.
    I've got about 10-15 Black Squirrels that come to my squirrel feeders I set up in the front and back yards. They used to be fairly rare, but now, are getting more numerous. They are nothing more than a black phase of the Grey Squirrel and litters can have both colors mixed in.

They are pretty neat to see.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I don't recall the First Amendment saying you can only assemble in government-designated "free speech zones."

Seems to be business-as-usual at Republican events, just ban all protests except for designated "free speech zone" located many blocks away from the venue where no one at the event will see it.
    So taken to it's illogical conclusion, you would have no problem if I got into the White House and yelled at the president directly to his face? Free speech is limited by sanity, like yelling fire in a movie theater, or pointing a firearm at a police officer and not expecting to find out if there is a God waiting for you.

The true sign of a liberal is constant use of hyperbole. Where in the link you posted is mention made of designated free speech zones?

The true sign of a liberal is constant use of hyperbole. Where in the link you posted is mention made of designated free speech zones?
    Protests will no longer be allowed on the sidewalk north of the White House and they're wanting to charge expensive fees for "permits" to protest on the National Mall.

So the "free speech zones" would be outside of those perimeters, conveniently far away from anyone noticing.

They pulled the same shit at the Republican National Convention, made it so the only "free speech zone" was many blocks away from the venue, any spontaneous protests anywhere nearer were banned and broken up by the police.

Protests will no longer be allowed on the sidewalk north of the White House and they're wanting to charge expensive fees for "permits" to protest on the National Mall.

So the "free speech zones" would be outside of those perimeters, conveniently far away from anyone noticing.

They pulled the same shit at the Republican National Convention, made it so the only "free speech zone" was many blocks away from the venue, any spontaneous protests anywhere nearer were banned and broken up by the police.
    Sounds good to me....

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Sounds good to me....
    Still looking forward to that big Red Wave here in a few weeks?

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

It started out with this blue wave that was predicted. Still think that's gonna happen? A red wave? After what we've been seeing from Democrats I certainly hope so.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

your side of the fence shows what they truly are anymore.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    That big red wave might be the blood in the streets that DiFi predicted in 2004 when the clinton firearm ban expired. Only this will be self-inflicted.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I think he's projecting leftist attitudes about free speech on college campuses to the administration

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    I think he's projecting leftist attitudes about free speech on college campuses to the administration
    Exactly. Doesn't seem to know what happens at Democrat conventions, and it is worse the more liberal the gathering is.

NRA Endowment Member

Protests on the sidewalk North of the Whitehouse have been banned in the past and if my memory is correct the street in front of the white house which is only open to pedestrians -- this is nothing new. What is wrong with protesting in Lafayette Park on the other side of the street? The width of a street and sidewalk is what? 35 Feet? Moving protestors 35 feet north is an attack on free speech?

Yup.

It's going to be much better than the Yellow Trickle Down Your Leg that your "Blue Wave" is going to turn into.
    Last edited by alismith; 10-13-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Freedom isn't free.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Your side was the originators of safe zones and 1rst amendment zones, why are you surprised when it comes back to bite you in the ass? I don't remember many Conservatives threating to cut off heads and/or kill political foes, your side does, every day douche bag.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Your side was the originators of safe zones and 1rst amendment zones, why are you surprised when it comes back to bite you in the ass? I don't remember many Conservatives threating to cut off heads and/or kill political foes, your side does, every day douche bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast