Thread: 1903 bolt issues...

1903 bolt issues...

he fellers...

i have a friends 1903 that he handed off to me because he cant get the bolt back in the gun. claims he did not remove the bolt, but used it to strip out several rounds from a partially full mag before he bagged up the rifle. after the last round was ejected, the bolt would no longer go all the way back into battery. it stops just as the small springed "button" near the rear of the bolt begins to enter the entry ramp at the very end of the receiver... i thought some bolts must be cocked and some cannot be, in order to go back into the rifle correctly... i am thinking the way this bolt is charged, or not charged is the issue...

sorry about the nomenclature or lack there off! i am new to 1903s

the rear bolt safety is all the way to the right, that is one thing i have ascertained is not correct... (not the magazine "safety" which some folks, on-line, refer to as just the "safety"... which has led to much confusion on my end! )

i am also looking for a good bolt diagram... something these old eyes can use a bit better... any links to that would be greatly appreciated as well!

thanks in advance guys!

1903 1.jpg1903 2.jpg

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Notch View Post
    he fellers...

i have a friends 1903 that he handed off to me because he cant get the bolt back in the gun. claims he did not remove the bolt, but used it to strip out several rounds from a partially full mag before he bagged up the rifle. after the last round was ejected, the bolt would no longer go all the way back into battery. it stops just as the small springed "button" near the rear of the bolt begins to enter the entry ramp at the very end of the receiver... i thought some bolts must be cocked and some cannot be, in order to go back into the rifle correctly... i am thinking the way this bolt is charged, or not charged is the issue...

sorry about the nomenclature or lack there off! i am new to 1903s

the rear bolt safety is all the way to the right, that is one thing i have ascertained is not correct... (not the magazine "safety" which some folks, on-line, refer to as just the "safety"... which has led to much confusion on my end! )

i am also looking for a good bolt diagram... something these old eyes can use a bit better... any links to that would be greatly appreciated as well!

thanks in advance guys!

1903 1.jpg1903 2.jpg
    Not familiar with 1903 but very familiar with 98 Mauser. If the bolt shroud starts to come unscrewed it can cause this. Would be a result of a bolt not put together correctly.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

fellers... i got it in...

turns out he managed to "un-cock" the bolt... i had "re-cocked" it, but then attempted to get the bolt safety to the left. unable to do that i ceased with that course of action...

turns out, once the bolt is properly cocked, the safety does not have to be to the left to re-install...

thanks just the same guys!