Thread: Lawmakers Drafting Bill That Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Lawmakers Drafting Bill That Would Allow Social Media Checks Before Gun Purchase

https://wcbs880.radio.com/articles/l...vqUgZYeqhmDmWs

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Two New York lawmakers are working to draft a bill that would propose a social media check before a gun purchase.

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and state Sen. Kevin Palmer’s proposal would allow authorities to review three years of social media history and one year of internet search history of any person seeking to purchase a firearm.

“A three-year review of a social media profile would give an easy profile of a person who is not suitable to hold and possess a fire arm,” Adams explains.

The two are hoping to identify any hate speech on social media profiles, which are often revealed only after someone is arrested in a mass shooting.

“If the police department is reviewing a gang assault, a robbery, some type of shooting, they go and do a social media profile investigation,” Adams said.

There are some logistical concerns as free speech and gun rights complaints are likely to come up. Though, Adams and Palmer say it is doable and needed.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

I don't live in NY, but still. What about people like me that don't have or "Do" social media?
    What about people that use false names in the media they DO use?

BISHOP

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    https://wcbs880.radio.com/articles/l...vqUgZYeqhmDmWs

NEW YORK (WCBS 880) – Two New York lawmakers are working to draft a bill that would propose a social media check before a gun purchase.

Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams and state Sen. Kevin Palmer’s proposal would allow authorities to review three years of social media history and one year of internet search history of any person seeking to purchase a firearm.

“A three-year review of a social media profile would give an easy profile of a person who is not suitable to hold and possess a fire arm,” Adams explains.

The two are hoping to identify any hate speech on social media profiles, which are often revealed only after someone is arrested in a mass shooting.

“If the police department is reviewing a gang assault, a robbery, some type of shooting, they go and do a social media profile investigation,” Adams said.

There are some logistical concerns as free speech and gun rights complaints are likely to come up. Though, Adams and Palmer say it is doable and needed.
    I like how he throws Constitutional Rights under the bus without blinking an eye.

After all, citizens' rights are just a minor problem that can easily be taken care of and bypassed for the "greater good."
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    I don't live in NY, but still. What about people like me that don't have or "Do" social media?

BISHOP
    That just shows you are antisocial and don't deserve a gun. You will be denied and the guns you already have will be confiscated.

(See how "easy" it is to deny a person's rights?)

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Freedom isn't free.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

BISHOP
    Don't look now but you're using social media right here
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Shit, why stop there, just issue search warrants for any person who wants to buy a gun.

BISHOP

I'm not on any "social media" (i.e. Farcebook, Twittler, etc...)

About the only site I am on where I actually read and post messages is here.

I've heard that employers also ask potential hires for their "social media" passwords.

Wonder what they would say if I replied "I'm not on any"?

Hell, I don't even have a "smartphone". I've got a little ancient "candy bar" type phone that only - surprise - makes phone calls.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Along similar lines, I heard on the news this morning, that police, in some county near Baltimore, had an order to remove a guy's guns from his house (due to some complaint his girlfriend made). When they arrived, he had a gun in his hand, then he put it down, talked to the cops, then picked it up again (according to the cops), and one officer tried to, physically, get it away from him. In the fight that ensued, the gun went off, striking the guy somewhere, then the backup cop shot him again.

While I'm not crazy about this happening at all, at least, it shows that when they try to confiscate a man's guns, someone is going to die..... There's a lesson to be learned there, somewhere.

Freedom isn't free.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

"You clicked 'like' on a post in 2016 where your uncle said he voted for Trump" = HATE SPEECH! DENIED!

That's pretty much how it would go.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    They need to force these 1938 German-like people to read the constitution, and then find a real bus to throw them under. Democrats in the USA today are starting to sound very much like a group of Germans in the mid to late 1930s.

BISHOP
    Other than 4-5 gun forums, I don't have much of a presence online. No Freakbook, no "tweets", "pinster", "instagrab", etc.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    That just shows you are antisocial and don't deserve a gun. You will be denied and the guns you already have will be confiscated.

(See how "easy" it is to deny a person's rights?)
    BULL !!

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Along similar lines, I heard on the news this morning, that police, in some county near Baltimore, had an order to remove a guy's guns from his house (due to some complaint his girlfriend made). When they arrived, he had a gun in his hand, then he put it down, talked to the cops, then picked it up again (according to the cops), and one officer tried to, physically, get it away from him. In the fight that ensued, the gun went off, striking the guy somewhere, then the backup cop shot him again.

While I'm not crazy about this happening at all, at least, it shows that when they try to confiscate a man's guns, someone is going to die..... There's a lesson to be learned there, somewhere.
    For starters, the storm door would not be opened, just the inner door. Should they try and force their way in, it would be proof of their unlawful actions and would be treated accordingly.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    BULL !!
    Just explaining how the Left would look at it. They think that just passing a law would make people cow down to their every whim...

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    For starters, the storm door would not be opened, just the inner door. Should they try and force their way in, it would be proof of their unlawful actions and would be treated accordingly.
    I agree. However, he may not have had a storm door and opened it to see who was there. The report gave very few details.

Freedom isn't free.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Democrats in the USA today are starting to sound very much like a group of Germans in the mid to late 1930s.
    URBAN Democrats, to be clear.

Notice how all these crazy anti-gun proposals always seem to be emanating from either California, Illinois, or New York?
    "That tyranny has all the vices both of democracy and oligarchy is evident. As of oligarchy so of tyranny, the end is wealth; (for by wealth only can the tyrant maintain either his guard or his luxury). Both mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms." -- Aristotle, Book V, 350 B.C.E

A good organization to contribute to with respect to fighting this sort of thing is:

https://www.rutherford.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    A good organization to contribute to with respect to fighting this sort of thing is:

https://www.rutherford.org/
    There is one thing about that group that leaves me wondering. They appear to be IN FAVOR of "birthright citizenship" but that is one thing that needs to stop. Without that, many of the "illegals" will not come.

I wonder where the gangs get all their weapons from, surely if they post on social media about their gangsta doings the gun stores will deny them the arms they need to further their nefarious ways? Or is this legislation perhaps targeted on non gangstas?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"