Thread: Reloading 9mm and .45ACP

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Reloading 9mm and .45ACP

Hello one and all. I'm hoping to break my reloading cherry this winter and thought I would start with something "easy" like 9mm or .45ACP. So I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions (yes, I'll be reading up on manuals and guides too).

Do you guys separate the brass by brand, or is all basically the same (minus nickel plated, etc.) and just mix all together?

How long do you tumble the brass?

Do you tumble with the old primer in or out?

Should I still lube the cases even if I have carbide pistol dies?

Thanks for the help, and I hope you don't mind if I ask more in the future once I get to rifle.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

on 45
    you need to separate small and large primer brass.

tumble before you put them in your dies.
    depending on your tumbler size/capacity ='s time. I don't go past 10 minutes usually.

don't lube cases uses in carbide dies.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    on 45
    you need to separate small and large primer brass.

tumble before you put them in your dies.
    depending on your tumbler size/capacity ='s time. I don't go past 10 minutes usually.

don't lube cases uses in carbide dies.
    Good call on the .45 brass. I forgot about that.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Hello one and all. I'm hoping to break my reloading cherry this winter and thought I would start with something "easy" like 9mm or .45ACP. So I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions (yes, I'll be reading up on manuals and guides too).

Do you guys separate the brass by brand, or is all basically the same (minus nickel plated, etc.) and just mix all together?

How long do you tumble the brass?

Do you tumble with the old primer in or out?

Should I still lube the cases even if I have carbide pistol dies?

Thanks for the help, and I hope you don't mind if I ask more in the future once I get to rifle.

Mix it all together (do you think you'll get an accuracy difference due to case variations in a handgun that you'll notice?) as mentioned, you'll learn to curse the asshole that thought small primer pockets on a .45 were a good idea.

I tumble for a while sometimes over night sometimes for an afternoon, probably longer than needed.

other questions were already answered. I'll add, I don't like seating and crimping in the same die. the default 3 die set up would have you do this. I backed the seating die off so it seats only and use a lee factory crimp die. I like this much better and the factory crimp die sort of re-sizes the case after the bullet is seated, its not as big of a deal in .45 but in cartridges like .38 special or .357 mag sometimes the case wall gets a little wonky and the lee factory crimp die irons it out so it is nice and smooth.

watch your taper crimp and make sure you have enough. .45 is a big heavy bullet. it doesn't take much force to push the bullet back into the case with a light crimp, I ruptured a cartridge that way and it wasn't fun.