Thread: AR-15 pistol builds.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

AR-15 pistol builds.

I was wondering if anyone has bought/built an AR15 pistol.

I've decided to add one to my To Build list and am going to use a folding stock adapter (haven't decided which one yet; leaning Law Tactical at the moment). After doing some reading and video watching regarding barrel length pros and cons, I've narrowed it down to either an 11.5" or 12.5" barrel.

This build will be to have a rifle I can easily carry in a discrete pack/bag while on road trips, etc. and have more available than just my CCW, JIC.

All tips and guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

For the folding stock adapter have you seen this?

https://www.amazon.com/ARH100-Sylvan.../dp/B07FPQCPZW

Its NOT an airsoft part!!!!

BISHOP

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

YEAH, built one quite a few years ago. I used a 10.5" barrel as it is the minimum length my suppressor is rated for. 11.5 is just one inch too long in my opinion. I assume you are going 5.56 / .223 vs. .300 Blackout.

Comparison of the 10.5" pistol against a 16" Carbine with collapsing stock set to minimum length.

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    For the folding stock adapter have you seen this?

https://www.amazon.com/ARH100-Sylvan.../dp/B07FPQCPZW

Its NOT an airsoft part!!!!

BISHOP
    I have seen that one. It's a contender and I'm still doing some research on it; sorting through reviews...seems to be a mix, but definitely has potential. Right now it's between the Law Tactical and Sylvan.

Thanks!
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    YEAH, built one quite a few years ago. I used a 10.5" barrel as it is the minimum length my suppressor is rated for. 11.5 is just one inch too long in my opinion. I assume you are going 5.56 / .223 vs. .300 Blackout.

Comparison of the 10.5" pistol against a 16" Carbine with collapsing stock set to minimum length.
    Very nice S-man. I am indeed going 5.56. If my shit state ever gets its head out of its ass (very, very unlikely) I'd consider a .300BLK, but at the moment 5.56 is plentiful and "cheap". My reasoning behind going either 11.5" or 12.5" is for longer dwell time and still decent velocity numbers to capitalize on 5.56/.223 as much as possible.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    I built this one when PSA had the kits on sale for $260 shipped

No issues with cycling so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieAKguy View Post
    Very nice S-man. I am indeed going 5.56. If my shit state ever gets its head out of its ass (very, very unlikely) I'd consider a .300BLK, but at the moment 5.56 is plentiful and "cheap". My reasoning behind going either 11.5" or 12.5" is for longer dwell time and still decent velocity numbers to capitalize on 5.56/.223 as much as possible.
    Cycling has been reliable with 55 gr. and 62 gr. ammo. Can't recall if I fired any 69 gr. Sierra tipped handloads in it. The barrel is from Brownell's If I recall it is a 7" gas tube on it. Let me take a look at Brownell's web site. Yeah, carbine length gas system. Dwell time as you put it will not be any different in a 10.5 vs. 11.5 or 12.5 if the gas tube / gas port are carbine length at 7".

As you can see this dates from 2014 and parts, barrels in particular were a lot less available than they are now. 11.5 or 12.5, you gain little speed, probably 50 fps per inch. It's a short barrel regardless but the shorter it is the easier it handles in tight quarters IMO. I'd look at Aim Surplus for a source, they seem to have some seriously lower cost barrels than the one I got from Brownell's. In as much as these are very short and lower velocity barrels accuracy isn't a big consideration. This one btw, does shoot fairly tight groups at 25 yards from rest. Averages about 1", which is very acceptable.

Oh and that's a Strikefire II red dot, red only model. Good brightness though maybe a tad large. A Sparc would be better IMO on a pistol but that's all I could get at the time.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 11-13-2018 at 11:06 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Here's my 10.5" PSA build using an FN premium barrel. Muzzle device is a PSA branded blast diverter but it looks like it was sourced from midwest industries and rebranded, same for the handguard. It uses a nickle coated BCG from toolcraft (an OEM provider) and I've since put in a Geissele trigger and Geissele super charging handle. Scope is a Vortex Viper 1-4x on an Aero Precision ultralite SPR mount. Smallest five-round group I've been able to get was a 1.25" at 100 yards using Hornady TAP 62gr SP ammunition.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Here's my 10.5" PSA build using an FN premium barrel. Muzzle device is a PSA branded blast diverter but it looks like it was sourced from midwest industries and rebranded, same for the handguard. It uses a nickle coated BCG from toolcraft (an OEM provider) and I've since put in a Geissele trigger and Geissele super charging handle. Scope is a Vortex Viper 1-4x on an Aero Precision ultralite SPR mount. Smallest five-round group I've been able to get was a 1.25" at 100 yards using Hornady TAP 62gr SP ammunition.
    I like it but it seems you should switch the sights around. The scope on a pistol seems out of place. Should be on a rifle / the carbine IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

Very nice set-up Funky. How do you like the blast can? I dig that look of the handguard surrounding the blast can and was originally going with that. Think I'm going to go with a flash hider so obviously the barrel has to be beyond the handguard. Can you tell how much flash is made with the blast can? I also got the same pistol brace, but in FDE. Thinking of picking up another one in black, from PSA no less. I like the 1-4x on your "pistol", lol. But a red dot would look good too.

Nice pistols gentlemen.

I LOVE ar15 pistols!
    IMG_2814_zps7ocptdto.jpg