Thread: Car Question Regarding Nissan Xterra

Car Question Regarding Nissan Xterra

I have a low millage (60,000) 2010 Nissan Xterra that currently is in near new condition with respect to appearance and mechanical condition. When having my car inspected recently at a local garage I mentioned to the owner/mechanic that at 62,000 miles the transmission on my Ford Ranger truck had fried due to a cooling line failure (ironically in front of the Ford dealer where I bought my truck). He informed me that I should be aware that there was a major problem with the Nissan Xterra and Frontier truck whereby radiator coolant would leak into the automatic transmission causing total failure. I have looked this issue up and it is extremely common and expensive with a new transmission costing about $6000. I can preclude the problem by having a redesigned radiator installed which I am thinking would probably cost at least $250 for the radiator plus 3 hours of labor. My question is this. Should I spend $550 or so for a new radiator when my car is currently working fine?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Some people have body parts removed because there is a history of cancer in their family. Very extreme but solves a problem that they will never know they prevented, or not.

In other words, with a transmission of $6000 and your vehicle has a history of broken transmission coolers, with the miles on your vehicle if you intend to keep it I would spend the money to possibly save the transmission.

I used to work for a manufacturer of transmissions and it was not unheard of for coolant to get into the transmission through the cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Some people have body parts removed because there is a history of cancer in their family. Very extreme but solves a problem that they will never know they prevented, or not.

In other words, with a transmission of $6000 and your vehicle has a history of broken transmission coolers, with the miles on your vehicle if you intend to keep it I would spend the money to possibly save the transmission.

I used to work for a manufacturer of transmissions and it was not unheard of for coolant to get into the transmission through the cooler.
    Thanks for the sanity check. I was leaning towards a new radiator.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Could you simply add a trans cooler and bypass the radiator altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Could you simply add a trans cooler and bypass the radiator altogether?
    This would be cheaper.

Or replace the rad, the vehicle is worth the outlay.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"