Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never let a woman go to the auto dealership by herself

Quote Originally Posted by davepool View Post
    So my wife rides along to the Chevy dealer with our neighbor to have her truck serviced. My wife decides to look at the new trucks while they're waiting for the neighbors to be finished

My wife doesn't have a drivers license, she didn't have a job, she's on medical disability from the epilepsy she developed after her brain surgery, she takes some pretty heavy duty meds to control her seizures and she's a little loopy sometimes.

NEVER THE LESS, she comes home and informs me she just bought our oldest son a new truck, it was being delivered in a couple hours. ( i had planned on getting him a new truck anyway )
    A couple hours later a new 2002 Chevy Colorado Z71 pulls up with a $25,000 window sticker. I wasn't planning on spending that much.

They sold her a 25K truck with no job, no DL, and no insurance !!!

So yea, DO NOT LET WOMEN GO TO CAR DEALERS ALONE
    Great Ceaser's ghost !!!
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    All our fords have lasted 200K miles without major repairs, Have a 2001 F150 Supercrew from when they first came out, 197,000 miles still running strong, No major repairs. Have had rangers and a broncoII They all made it close to 200K miles, Bodies all were in good shape. Bought two Dodges, First had tranny problems with less than 75K, Second a 2500 doors rusting before it hit 36K, 3 power steering pumps and the 4th is on it's way out, snapping shafts. Rear has an issue, all with less than 40K on it. Will never buy a Dodge again in my life. Wife had a Camaro, not impressed, I have a M1009 30K miles rusted out to shit, but the diesel is still in good shape. Ford all the way for me, Had a Mystique with 230K miles finally gave up the ghost, currently have a 98 Contour closing on 200K, still runs great and body is damn good.

Back in late '81, I bought a Toyota 4WD Long Bed p/u with the 22R 4 cyl. engine. In the late '80s, somehow I cracked the block under the back cylinder. It was a long, curved crack and was leaking oil so badly that I was adding a quart of 10W-40 every 100 miles. Switched to 20W-50 and that slowed to 400-500 miles but was a "female dog" to start that winter. The next spring, a neighbor who was a good mechanic, helped me drop the oil pan and look at the crack. Not only was the flange on the bottom of the long block split from inside to outside, the crack arced up at least 6 inches as it curved towards the front of the motor. We cleane3d it out with carb cleaner spray from the inside and saw the spray going all the way through. After getting the oil, grease, and dirt off, I swabbed it with isopropyl alcohol (IPA) inside and out to remove the last traces of oil. Next came the J.B. Weld steel-filled epoxy which I applied to the inside and forced through the crack to the outside. Using a metal putty knife, I scraped it smooth on the inside except on the flange at the bottom. Because the two sides of the crack in the flange were offset by ~1/8", I scraped the epoxy off like you use a 2x4 to screed concrete. This gave me a smooth surface for the oil pan to mate with after it cured.

That repair lasted about three years and, when the crack came back, the oil loss was light and bearable BUT I did "semi-retire" the truck. In '99, it finally threw a rod and I gave it to a neighbor and let him do what he wanted with it. By that time, it had about 185K on it, the floor in the cab had rust holes behind both front tires, and I had a '97 GMC Sonoma to replace it. The Sonoma, while an enjoyable truck, was traded for the Elantra in '11 as the center U-joint on the drive shaft was going out at 125K after having been replaced at 93K a few years before.

Funny thing. The Sonoma had a 4.3L V6 with 225x75 R15 tires and, even with the AC, I got ~18 mpg in the summer. The Ranger only has a 4L V6 with 235x65 R16 tires and I'm lucky to get 14 mpg. Go figure.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12