Thread: Opinions please.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Opinions please.

Sportsmans Warehouse has the Daniel Defense DD5V1 .308 rifle on sale for $1,799.99. Cash price for the same rifle at Bud's Guns is $2,892.00. Looks like a great deal assuming DD makes a better rifle than Palmetto State Armory at $700.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I don't know if the Palmetto rifle has a pinned gas block. But I don't know if the Daniel Defense does either. I would think it does, but I don't know???

Some folks don't worry if they have a pinned block or not. I prefer them to be pinned.

I think if the two were laid side by side for comparison, the Daniel Defense would probably be the "better rifle"...

Out of the two prices though, I would go with the Palmetto. You could change out the butt stock to a Daniel Defense and put a Magpul grip on it and still be way ahead on coin...

All that being said, I only have experience with .556 items from Palmetto. Seen a lot of people bash them, but I've seen a lot more who are happy with Palmetto. Personally, I like them.

May be more opinion than you needed or wanted. But that's mine...

Thanks for the reply Darrell. Not sure about the gas block. Here's what DD shows about their rifle.

https://danieldefense.com/firearms/d...d5v1-1424.html
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    $1800 seems more correct for a well made AR-10 style rifle. I can't imagine the corners cut to get the price down to $700.

That's a great deal considering the MSRP is over $3000!

That's what I'm thinking.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    $1800 seems more correct for a well made AR-10 style rifle. I can't imagine the corners cut to get the price down to $700.
    <snip>
    I'm guessing a big part is the barrel, bolt & carrier maybe the trigger & furniture, oh and the name.
    Wait a minute, other than the upper & lower receiver there isn't much left! I know with AR15 receivers there are only 1-2, maybe 3 producers of forgings probably even fewer for AR10 style receivers ...

When I built my last one in 6.5CM the the barrel, bolt & carrier were the most expensive single items, but I didn't scrimp on the other parts either ... Put it all together and it adds up fast.