So, I was perusing my local Gun 'n Grab and stumbled upon this...

I have been wanting one for a long time, but every time I find one it is in incredibly rough shape, overpriced, missing components... or all three. Plus I wanted one with the Mum intact, which has not been easy to find.

This one has the Mum, but does not have the Japanese Characters for "Type 99". All of the serial Numbers match (including the bolt and bolt components), the wood is in pretty decent shape. It was built in the Toyo Kogyo Factory, Series 34, which was the last full run of 99,999 rifles (Of which mine was the 27,989 rifle). The run after this would have been the Series 35's of which "only" 57,000 were made.

From my research this is a Wartime manufactured "transition rifle" that the Japanese Were building later in the war (And cutting corners to save material and time), but before the "Last Ditch" rifles at the end of the war. It has the wooden butt plate, The "Knurled" Safety, the "split" butt stock (which was due to a shortage of full width blanks), no Anti Aircraft Sights, No Front Sight Protection, and no monopod. It did come with a Cover, but from what I have read, most of the rifles being built at the time mine was didn't come from the factory with them. The interior finish on the bearing surfaces is a little on the rough side with lots of machine marks, (Especially when compared to my Kar98k or M1903). The bore still has rifling, but it's pretty well rounded down; so while someone shot the hell out of it, they maintained it well.

I stripped it down completely and have images of that too if anyone is interested.

I got it for $275.00

I feel it was a good deal and it brings me a step closer to a complete collection of WWII Bolt Actions.

Any Arisaka Experts on here that can give me any more information on this old vet?