Thread: At long Last... a Type 99 Arisaka

At long Last... a Type 99 Arisaka

So, I was perusing my local Gun 'n Grab and stumbled upon this...

I have been wanting one for a long time, but every time I find one it is in incredibly rough shape, overpriced, missing components... or all three. Plus I wanted one with the Mum intact, which has not been easy to find.

This one has the Mum, but does not have the Japanese Characters for "Type 99". All of the serial Numbers match (including the bolt and bolt components), the wood is in pretty decent shape. It was built in the Toyo Kogyo Factory, Series 34, which was the last full run of 99,999 rifles (Of which mine was the 27,989 rifle). The run after this would have been the Series 35's of which "only" 57,000 were made.

From my research this is a Wartime manufactured "transition rifle" that the Japanese Were building later in the war (And cutting corners to save material and time), but before the "Last Ditch" rifles at the end of the war. It has the wooden butt plate, The "Knurled" Safety, the "split" butt stock (which was due to a shortage of full width blanks), no Anti Aircraft Sights, No Front Sight Protection, and no monopod. It did come with a Cover, but from what I have read, most of the rifles being built at the time mine was didn't come from the factory with them. The interior finish on the bearing surfaces is a little on the rough side with lots of machine marks, (Especially when compared to my Kar98k or M1903). The bore still has rifling, but it's pretty well rounded down; so while someone shot the hell out of it, they maintained it well.

I stripped it down completely and have images of that too if anyone is interested.

I got it for $275.00

I feel it was a good deal and it brings me a step closer to a complete collection of WWII Bolt Actions.

Any Arisaka Experts on here that can give me any more information on this old vet?
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Nice score. It's getting harder and harder to find Arisakas where the mum hasn't been ground. The stock has been refinished but at the price you paid in today's $$ you did very well, congrats.

I have a Type 38 carbine in 6.5 my dad brought home from Guadalcanal. The bore is a sewer pipe and it is highly inaccurate past about 60-70 yards but is a neat piece of family history.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Nice score. It's getting harder and harder to find Arisakas where the mum hasn't been ground. The stock has been refinished but at the price you paid in today's $$ you did very well, congrats.

I have a Type 38 carbine in 6.5 my dad brought home from Guadalcanal. The bore is a sewer pipe and it is highly inaccurate past about 60-70 yards but is a neat piece of family history.
    I was super excited when I saw it, especially in this condition with matching numbers, and that Mum just made me giddy. lol

At this point I am missing a Carcano (It's so hard to justify a Carcano as it's they are so rough even when mint... which I have never seen) and an MAS-36. I feel if I had those my WWII Bolt Gun collection would be pretty complete.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Congrats on your new Arisaka.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gpwasr10 View Post
    I was super excited when I saw it, especially in this condition with matching numbers, and that Mum just made me giddy. lol

At this point I am missing a Carcano (It's so hard to justify a Carcano as it's they are so rough even when mint... which I have never seen) and an MAS-36. I feel if I had those my WWII Bolt Gun collection would be pretty complete.
    The Carcanos were always at the bottom of the heap when it came to milsurp rifles. I remember when they use to sell (seriously) for under 40 bucks. Now, like every other vintage old bolt gun they bring a lot more. LHO paid $20 for his mail-ordered in 1963 and that included a cheap Japanese-made scope.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    The Carcanos were always at the bottom of the heap when it came to milsurp rifles. I remember when they use to sell (seriously) for under 40 bucks. Now, like every other vintage old bolt gun they bring a lot more. LHO paid $20 for his mail-ordered in 1963 and that included a cheap Japanese-made scope.
    Well, don;t get me wrong...

I'd be willing to pay for a fantastic example...

But every one I see is just shit...
    -Nietzsche

-George S. Patton

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Something about those oldies that is hard to like. Nice rifle!!!!