Thread: P-38 A Personal Story

P-38 A Personal Story

pretty awesome vid
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

I got to sit in the Cockpit of a P-38 when I was 6 years old. Something I still remember clearly. At the time my father worked for a company that used surplus P-38 aircraft for aerial photography.

Very cool! I imagine they had some surplus 38s that still had the recon stuff in them.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

Ah! the Magnificent P.38 Lockheed Lighting! the 416mph Twin Tailed Devil! the 3rd Fastest Fighter Plane of WW2, behind only the P.51 and the P.47. This is a Plane of Honor!!! With 4 .50 Caliber BMG's and 1 Cannon in the Nose She is the Plane that brought down Admiral Yamamoto! A fine Aircraft that served for 10 Years. starting with the U.S. Army Air Corps. in 1939 and ending with the U.S. Air Force in 1949. I had hoped the Stuart Air Show which is held every Veterans Day Weekend would have had one last Month, but sadly they did not. There was a Ladder in the back of the Wing, this is how you got on. You could not get on from the side with the Engines running. also the Propellers did not both go the same Direction. The Right Engine turned to the Left, and the Left Engine to the Right. What a Plane, for a well needed Period of Time. Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Always wondered how one of these would perform with dual Merlins instead of Allisons.

Some thunder to go with those lightnings;