Thread: Hypothetical Nutrition Question

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Hypothetical Nutrition Question

You're stuck on a deserted island due to a plane crash and you're the sole survivor. The island has a fresh water spring. The cargo hold held a year's supply of a) pasta and b) multivitamins and supplements and stuff (pills in bottles). Assume you have the means to cook.

At the end of it, would you still be healthy? The pasta would provide calories and the multivitamins / supplements would provide the rest?

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I wouldn't last a year on a desert island. I have very light-complected skin and the sun in not my friend. Melanoma would do me in.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

you could eat the pasta without cooking. the vitamins might do some good. i guess weather might be the biggest threat.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    You're stuck on a deserted island due to a plane crash and you're the sole survivor. The island has a fresh water spring. The cargo hold held a year's supply of a) pasta and b) multivitamins and supplements and stuff (pills in bottles). Assume you have the means to cook.

At the end of it, would you still be healthy? The pasta would provide calories and the multivitamins / supplements would provide the rest?
    Depends on the size of the island. If it is too small and without adequate coverage, Ali's problem might kill off any anglo. They would get burned so badly w/o protection that they would get sores and be unable to function.

If the island is large enough, there might be some additional food sources such as fish, turtles and their eggs, birds and their eggs, crabs, etc.

Healthy? Not necessarily but you would most likely still be alive.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

Thanks all. I was more making this a hypothetical nutrition thing than the specifics of island survival.

I just wonder if it's possible for the human body to work effectively with "basic calories + nutrients from pills". You could make the basic calories = bread, rice, pasta, etc. Reading about, for instance, prisoners of the Japanese in WWII they were working hard all day and getting like handfuls of rice, for months and years at a time. The death rate was horrendous but many survived.

No those two items being your sole source of nutrition would not be sufficient.

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

You gotta remember that a great many people live a very long time not even eating that well. My grandfather lived to 97, and the last several year he ate nothing but white powder donuts and coffee.