Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So are our bumpstocks as good as gone?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

So are our bumpstocks as good as gone?

I never embarked on a purchase, but my son has a couple. He is selling his to very quick bidders. I hope this is the end of the madness.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    There are a couple or more lawsuits filed, or soon will be.
    There should be a stay on the ATF ruling till the cases have worked their way thru the judicial system.
    They're not illegal yet.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    I never embarked on a purchase, but my son has a couple. He is selling his to very quick bidders. I hope this is the end of the madness.
    This is just one more step towards total disarmament the Left is shooting for. It will never end until there are no more liberals.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    This is just one more step towards total disarmament the Left is shooting for. It will never end until there are no more liberals.
    How is banning an accessory disarming anyone?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

A mag is just an accessory. A scope is just an accessory.

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    As has been stated many times across the internet, it's not the accessory, it's the unconstitutional way it was done.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    As has been stated many times across the internet, it's not the accessory, it's the unconstitutional way it was done.
    What constitutional protection does a bump stock have? It's not a firearm.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    A mag is just an accessory. A scope is just an accessory.
    For a magazine fed firearm a magazine is a component of the firearm not an accessory. A scope is an accessory.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

What constitutional protection does a bump stock have? It's not a firearm.
    The Constitution that says Congress will make the laws. The law that defines what a "machine gun" is. A definition that only Congress can change by legislation.

A definition that was changed by regulations, not Congressional legislation. A definition that can now be changed to include "semi-automatic" if regulators (ATF) so desired.

For a magazine fed firearm a magazine is a component of the firearm not an accessory. A scope is an accessory.
    The receiver is considered the firearm. Barrels are accessories.

Are stocks not a component of firearms?
    Last edited by N/A; 12-23-2018 at 08:36 PM.

FYI - in another forum, it was suggested that you might be able to "modify" a bumpstock by drilling through it and putting in a nut & bolt to make it a "fixed" stock. Then, if this decision is overturned or if the SHTF, you can "unmodify" the stock. JIC.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    FYI - in another forum, it was suggested that you might be able to "modify" a bumpstock by drilling through it and putting in a nut & bolt to make it a "fixed" stock. Then, if this decision is overturned or if the SHTF, you can "unmodify" the stock. JIC.
    Won't work, as it would still leave the stock "easily restored" to a "machine gun".

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    The Constitution that says Congress will make the laws. The law that defines what a "machine gun" is. A definition that only Congress can change by legislation.

A definition that was changed by regulations, not Congressional legislation. A definition that can now be changed to include "semi-automatic" if regulators (ATF) so desired.
    Ok, I agree with that.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    How many times are we going to have this argument???

A bump stock might not be an "arm" but the right to keep should be judged as the right to adjust that "arm" to your particular needs or wants and banning any device, shape or part that alters it is then technically an infringement on your right to keep and if needed bear it.

It sets a precedent for future Executive Branch actions. Maybe next time it is certain types of bullets (a gun accessory) that are banned. Maybe a Federal 30 round mag ban.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 T2K's Avatar

I think the 1934 Miller case is the defining guide - is it suitable for militia purposes? No.

Modern handguns and rifles are, without question. "Choose your battles" and bumpstocks aren't the hill to make a stand on. They are just novelty devices.

Quote Originally Posted by T2K View Post
    I think the 1934 Miller case is the defining guide - is it suitable for militia purposes? No.

Modern handguns and rifles are, without question. "Choose your battles" and bumpstocks aren't the hill to make a stand on. They are just novelty devices.
    And just what defines "suitable"? A fully automatic is suitable for a militia, yet it is denied to citizens. Therefore, the law contradicts itself.
    The "hill to die on " is either adherence to the Constitution, or bureaucratic tyranny.
    Who is anyone to decide it is only a novelty, if someone else sees a future legitimate need for it?

A "well regulated militia" means well trained, well supplied and well armed. A well armed militia would include automatic weapons for the individual citizen. As citizens are pretty much denied the ability to buy, keep and bear automatic rifles, then they are denied the right to be well regulated in that aspect. Thus, an accessory that does not break the law, in and of itself, affords the citizens to restore "well regulated" to themselves.
    You choosing not to have such an accessory, is the same as you choosing not to own anything but a handgun. It is your choice, but in no way should your opinion rule what I might choose to own as a citizen militia member.

If this regulation and action by the ATF stands, then bolt action rifles with scopes can be declared military grade sniper rifles, and scopes can be banned. They're not needed by the citizen militia. This can go on down the line. Tannerite....just a novelty and not needed by the militia. Night vision devices...military grade optics and not needed by the militia. Et Cetera, et cetera, et cetera,.... ...

Everytime you choose that a hill is not to die on, then the next hill is a little higher and harder to climb. Let the opposing side have the hill, and soon you are incapable from climbing the hill you think does matter.

Also the history I've read, I always could see where early on, if they had just done this/that, humanity wouldn't have gone thru a lot of suffering and tyranny. This is one of those times in our country's history.
    Last edited by N/A; 12-25-2018 at 12:16 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

It's going to effect a lot more people if they decide to go after pistol braces and raptor grips for firearms which fire shotshells (things like the shockwave and tac-14).
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I suspect the philosophy of bumpstock owners falls along the line of Molon Labe.

New York's SafeAct has something like 90% non-compliance. New Jersey's mag ban has 100% non-compliance.

Who thinks bumpstock owners will lose them in a "tragic boating accident"?

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Did anyone really think that if the waffen BATFEces thugs were given the keys to the castle, that they'd rule in favor of gun owners?

Right now it's bump stocks, next are pistol braces.
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast