Thread: Disability payment question

Disability payment question

When I started my 30% I was a single guy. Now for 10 years I have had a wife and child.

Last night I was trying to find if we are getting an increase and ran into a VA disability benefits table that showed increased benefits with child or wife and child.

Was I supposed to tell the VA when there were changes in my life like this?

Am I due for an increase and/or "back pay"?

BISHOP

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Unfortunately you had to tell the gov of the changes and they do not make up payments that could have been made. I too got bit by another theft agency, social insecurity. When I filed for benefits at age 62 the person I spoke to was surprised I hadn't filed survivor benefits at age 60. How was I to know? Two years that would have totaled almost 40,000 in lost money. (I retired early and used my own money not knowing about the survivor payments)

As for you, I believe you can refile for the change of life but payments most likely will only be from time of filing.

I never new there was a difference or increase for having dependants. When I first got the % I was given a VA booklet and it only had one list of benefits (That I remember).
    Many times I have mentioned wife and child to my PCP, you'd think that would have been a question they would ask. HECK I am asked about travel pay all the time.

BISHOP

Makes me wonder if some agencies are told not to be of help when it comes to increasing payments.

I don't understand why not. My uncle was never in the system for action in Vietnam. He had a Heart attack in his 60s and some-how the VA got involved (I have no knowledge of how or why) and in the end he ended up getting back pay of lost benefits of over 100K.

BISHOP

Your uncle was lucky. My father was wounded in WWII and upon return he told me how long he fought the VA before finally giving up. By that time I was born and remember his frustration and later hatred for them.

Can't hurt for you to file and try getting back monies. Worst that can happen is you get a benefit increase, best is they write a check for back money! Good luck.

WHO do I got to?

Back in the mid 90's I went to the American Legion through advice from Vets that worked in the VA mail room (I serviced their mailing machines) and was told they can help you up your %. That guy told me what I needed to do (see sport injury Drs, and pay for it on my own) and filled out all the paperwork for me and sent it in.

It took me a long time just to get service related medical. They kept denying that it existed TO MY FACE. It wasn't until I heard on the radio that there was an organization that will be at "some parking lot at some mall" that helps veterans get VA health care.
    I went there and they had all the forms and told me what to do with them.

BISHOP

Can't help you there. I guess vets here don't know how good they really have it as we have a major VA hospital downtown Indy. I could almost ride my bike there from where I live. Keep forgetting not all are that lucky.

I've had a rating of 30% since about 1997, but didn't know how or was lied to about getting health care until about 2009-10.

I haven't had bad experiences with the VA, they just don't outwardly tell you about benefits or "upgrades".
    Every year I get a letter stating my Disability rating and or compensation, but nothing about changes in your life.

BISHOP