Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1097

Thread: Official 2019 Gunsnet Random Photo Thread

  1. #1001
    Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    AZ USA
    Posts
    6,713
    Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    Cassandra Peterson as Elvira in The Elvira Show (1993) - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276660/

    Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

  2. #1002
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    5,865
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I think the main reason it looks so bright is that they had to shoot the photo with the lens open long enough to catch the galaxy behind the bridge. I've taken star photos where I've had to leave the lens open for 10+ minutes to catch the stars I wanted to photograph. The night sky looked a whole lot brighter than it does to the naked eye.

    I have an idea that just looking at that place with your naked eyes it'll look much darker than it does in that photograph.
    How did you adjust for earth's rotation? a 10 minute exposure would have star trails? That's one thing I have not figured out with celestial photography (mixed in with stuff on the ground) is how they keep the stars from being light trails being that we're rotating constantly (the planet that is) and ten minutes is a long time for a star to move in the sky.

  3. #1003
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Posts
    5,427
    They have telescopes with motors and computers that can track the stars and keep them centered in the view.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

  4. #1004
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    How did you adjust for earth's rotation? a 10 minute exposure would have star trails? That's one thing I have not figured out with celestial photography (mixed in with stuff on the ground) is how they keep the stars from being light trails being that we're rotating constantly (the planet that is) and ten minutes is a long time for a star to move in the sky.
    My buddy, who taught beside me, showed me how to set my camera on the telescope tripod, that had a motor he set up to counter the earth's rotation. He used to have a special class after dark where students could come and look through the telescope at different planets, etc.

    However, I did take a lot of star trail photos, too. Some of them caught passing planes and an occasional meteor streaking across the sky. Depending on what speed film you use, you can even catch some of the closer star's colors.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  5. #1005
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    5,865
    Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    They have telescopes with motors and computers that can track the stars and keep them centered in the view.
    I assumed that was the case for purely celestial photography. But what about images with celestial photography AND landscape? One is moving, the other is not. So if the camera is moving, then how do you get a clear shot of the landscape?

  6. #1006
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Posts
    5,427
    That's a damn good question, and one I have no immediate answer for.

    About the only thing that comes to mind is that the pics are digital, and they have to take several so they can stack them. Being digital, I guess they could edit the landscape out except for the last pic and go with it.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

  7. #1007
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I assumed that was the case for purely celestial photography. But what about images with celestial photography AND landscape? One is moving, the other is not. So if the camera is moving, then how do you get a clear shot of the landscape?
    If the camera motor is set correctly, the stars won't move in relation to the landscape. They will both appear to be stationary. The camera is carried along with the landscape as the earth rotates, but the camera is set to negate the earth's rotation, which, because of the motor movement, appears stationary now, too. The motor makes it appear the earth is not rotating... Since star movement is really the result of earth's rotation, once the earth's rotation is canceled out, everything appears stationary.

    Not sure I explained it correctly here, but I know what I mean.....
    Last edited by alismith; 11-01-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  8. #1008
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Posts
    5,427
    As long as nothing is on a treadmill, the telescope is good to go.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

  9. #1009
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    As long as nothing is on a treadmill, the telescope is good to go.

  10. #1010
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,669
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

  11. #1011
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    5,865
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    If the camera motor is set correctly, the stars won't move in relation to the landscape. They will both appear to be stationary. The camera is carried along with the landscape as the earth rotates, but the camera is set to negate the earth's rotation, which, because of the motor movement, appears stationary now, too. The motor makes it appear the earth is not rotating... Since star movement is really the result of earth's rotation, once the earth's rotation is canceled out, everything appears stationary.

    Not sure I explained it correctly here, but I know what I mean.....
    Thanks I appreciate the effort but that makes no sense to me. You can't negative the movement of the stars AND keep your landscape in center frame at the same time.

    Do you do this method? Just curious. I do photography all the time and I myself think that these celestial PLUS landscape images are photoshopped layers of different pics stacked on top of each other. Again, the motor cannot negate the lateral movement of stars across the sky (even more so the closer to the equator you get) without blurring the ground you're on.

  12. #1012
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post
    It measures four feet high by four feet wide by eight feet long (4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.) and has a volume of 128 cubic feet. The amount of solid wood in a cord varies depending on the size of the pieces, but for firewood it averages about 85 cubic feet. The rest of the cord volume is air space. Also Jeffery Epstein was "reported dead by suicide" are we sure?

  13. #1013
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    It measures four feet high by four feet wide by eight feet long (4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft.) and has a volume of 128 cubic feet. The amount of solid wood in a cord varies depending on the size of the pieces, but for firewood it averages about 85 cubic feet. The rest of the cord volume is air space. Also Jeffery Epstein was "reported dead by suicide" are we sure?

    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

  14. #1014
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by weevil View Post

  15. #1015
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,874
    Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    I assumed that was the case for purely celestial photography. But what about images with celestial photography AND landscape? One is moving, the other is not. So if the camera is moving, then how do you get a clear shot of the landscape?
    If you have a star tracker and take a long exposure shot, the landscape will be motion blurred. The only way to get both clear is to take a short exposure pic of the landscape and then Photoshop in the stars from the star tracker image.

  16. #1016
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,874
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    If the camera motor is set correctly, the stars won't move in relation to the landscape. They will both appear to be stationary. The camera is carried along with the landscape as the earth rotates, but the camera is set to negate the earth's rotation, which, because of the motor movement, appears stationary now, too. The motor makes it appear the earth is not rotating... Since star movement is really the result of earth's rotation, once the earth's rotation is canceled out, everything appears stationary.

    Not sure I explained it correctly here, but I know what I mean.....
    Sorry... wrong. If you use a star tracker to compensate for the earth's rotation, the camera is moving relative to the earth and therefore the landscape will be motion blurred.

  17. #1017
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,874
    Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    As long as nothing is on a treadmill, the telescope is good to go.

  18. #1018
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Sorry... wrong. If you use a star tracker to compensate for the earth's rotation, the camera is moving relative to the earth and therefore the landscape will be motion blurred.
    Yup. You're right. The star photos I took were just pointed at the stars; no landscape in the photos at all, I just thought the landscape would be "frozen, too. I see it wouldn't be.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  19. #1019
    Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,669
    Where are we going and why are we in this handbasket???

  20. #1020
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    5,865
    BEFORE:


    AFTER:


    For the record, I fucking hate tattoos.

Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •