Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the shutdown cause a collapse?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Could the shutdown cause a collapse?

I was thinking about how precarious our economy already is (or at least appears to be) and wondered if a long term shutdown could push it over the edge.

I saw a Claire Wolfe post that said something like"No burning cities. Water is still on. No cool gangs to join. Worst apocalypse ever.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I don't know about "economic" collapse but wait til the ebt cards run dry.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

They will never let the ebt cards run out. They would sell us to the Huns before the ebt cards died. Cities would be destroyed inside of a week if they did .

Russian Official Cancels U.S. Visit, Saying 'Second American Civil War' Is Underway
    A senior Russian official has canceled a planned visit to the United States, claiming he feared a second civil war being waged by opposing political forces there.

Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Russia's Roscosmos State Space Corporation, who served as deputy prime minister until May 2017, said Thursday that rising tensions between Republicans and Democrats were leading to a breakdown of U.S. society. This included the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), one of many federal agencies affected by a government shutdown due to an inability for the rival U.S. parties to agree on funding for a border wall proposed by President Donald Trump.
    https://www.newsweek.com/russia-canc...il-war-1287282

Enemies foreign and domestic are salivating at the thought. Don't think Russia, China, and the rest would sit on the sidelines and watch as we tear ourselves apart.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    The second civil war is being fought inside the walls of the government. God help us if it spills outside.

As to the economy, things are going too good for a semi-shutdown to really hurt it.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Russian Official Cancels U.S. Visit, Saying 'Second American Civil War' Is Underway
    A senior Russian official has canceled a planned visit to the United States, claiming he feared a second civil war being waged by opposing political forces there.

Dmitry Rogozin, the head of Russia's Roscosmos State Space Corporation, who served as deputy prime minister until May 2017, said Thursday that rising tensions between Republicans and Democrats were leading to a breakdown of U.S. society. This included the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), one of many federal agencies affected by a government shutdown due to an inability for the rival U.S. parties to agree on funding for a border wall proposed by President Donald Trump.
    https://www.newsweek.com/russia-canc...il-war-1287282

Enemies foreign and domestic are salivating at the thought. Don't think Russia, China, and the rest would sit on the sidelines and watch as we tear ourselves apart.
    What a pussy, a little kerfuffle in congress and the ruskies are afraid to come over, these ain't the commies they told me i should be in fear of....stinkin punks, all of em.

As long as I can go safely to work and home, I won't feel like I'm in a war.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I just wish I had a job that pays better than the private sector, and if I get laid off, I still get paid when I'm recalled, nice little paid vacation for a lot of people...... There might be temporary economic slowdowns, but once these nonessential employees get their back pay, it will be back to normal........AND BTW if they are nonessential employees, why are we employing them anyway? Question to ponder......

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I just wish I had a job that pays better than the private sector, and if I get laid off, I still get paid when I'm recalled, nice little paid vacation for a lot of people...... There might be temporary economic slowdowns, but once these nonessential employees get their back pay, it will be back to normal........AND BTW if they are nonessential employees, why are we employing them anyway? Question to ponder......
    Was thinking the exact same thing.
    The fedgov has three mandated tasks; regulate commerce between states and foreigners, defend the borders, and regulate the currency. Apparently they're doing everything but those three mandates.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

at least 30 Democrats are partying in Puerto Rico with hundreds of lobbyists. It's all part of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus BOLD PAC winter retreat
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...re-lo-n2538964
    Organizers must have realized how horrible the optics are: Here are Democrats, who claim to be the champion of the worker, partying in Puerto Rico while 800,000 federal employees are worrying about how they're going to pay their bills and keep a roof over their heads.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    at least 30 Democrats are partying in Puerto Rico with hundreds of lobbyists. It's all part of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus BOLD PAC winter retreat
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethba...re-lo-n2538964
    Organizers must have realized how horrible the optics are: Here are Democrats, who claim to be the champion of the worker, partying in Puerto Rico while 800,000 federal employees are worrying about how they're going to pay their bills and keep a roof over their heads.
    Oh, no. The Dimocrats would NEVER do anything like this while the people who rely on them, suffer.

"Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    i've never heard of a government employee getting laid off. transferred, furloughed, or promoted to someone else's worry. a few get fired for really egregious stuff, but it takes months if not years.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

The shut down is not going to cause an economic collapse. The Federal Reserve Board on the other hand is now liquidating the 40 billion worth of stock they bought each month for 7 years of the Obama administration and raising interest rates. This is the reason the market is so volatile right now.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    i've never heard of a government employee getting laid off. transferred, furloughed, or promoted to someone else's worry. a few get fired for really egregious stuff, but it takes months if not years.
    In Government parlance a "layoff" is called a RIF (Reduction in Force). There were a lot of RIFs in the Federal Government after Reagan's OMB issued Circular A-76 which outsourced government. A-76 did not eliminate Government programs or functions. Rather it replaced Federal employees with expensive contractors greatly increasing the cost of the Federal Government and adding a large degree of patronage (corruption) to the Government. The growth of the Washington DC McMansions started right after Reagan outsourced a large part of Government. I guess I was one of the Government parasites, but when I retired as a GS-15 at 150K I took an industry job for 200K. So much for the assumption that all government employees are overpaid.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    The shut down is not going to cause an economic collapse. The Federal Reserve Board on the other hand is now liquidating the 40 billion worth of stock they bought each month for 7 years of the Obama administration and raising interest rates. This is the reason the market is so volatile right now.
    Not only that, the ecb, boj, and fed have stopped infusing 100B a month into the western economy, the dead cat is officially off life support.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    In Government parlance a "layoff" is called a RIF (Reduction in Force). There were a lot of RIFs in the Federal Government after Reagan's OMB issued Circular A-76 which outsourced government. A-76 did not eliminate Government programs or functions. Rather it replaced Federal employees with expensive contractors greatly increasing the cost of the Federal Government and adding a large degree of patronage (corruption) to the Government. The growth of the Washington DC McMansions started right after Reagan outsourced a large part of Government. I guess I was one of the Government parasites, but when I retired as a GS-15 at 150K I took an industry job for 200K. So much for the assumption that all government employees are overpaid.
    Maybe not all, but most. Fact is gov't jobs have higher salaries and benefits, job security and other perks than the private sector average. Undeniable. https://www.cbo.gov/publication/52637 You can see the same in State governments too.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    The RIF may have been in play all along. Read both of these articles:

https://dailycaller.com/2019/01/14/s...dUPkoqSzkiiEBk

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...down_trap.html

Then look at this chart from the last shutdown to see which agencies were the least "essential":

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...furloughs.html

The border wall may have been a red herring from the beginning in order to make a drastic reduction in the size of government. If this is true then Chuck & Nancy blindly walked right into a trap.

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

Good reads!

The shutdown only affects non-essential personnel and services.

The real question is that why are we keeping non-essential dead weight?
    Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    The shutdown only affects non-essential personnel and services.

The real question is that why are we keeping non-essential dead weight?
    Short answer: Most of them are Dimocrats, given jobs by other Dimocrats.

Think about it, if your job were considered non-essential, would you still have a job? Would you have been hired to a non-essential position in the first place?

It's like Rush said, most of those affected are Dimocrats.... And, since those jobs are considered non-essential, it's only fitting that Dimocrats would have been hired in the first place.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast