Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Denied a Handgun Purchase and no idea why.

Denied a Handgun Purchase and no idea why.

I went to purchase a gun and the NICS check returned a denied only a few minutes after it was submitted and have no idea why that would happen.

From what I read false positives are extremely rare, but I have no idea what would cause it. I have no criminal record and filled out the 4473 properly. I thought it may have been a problem with the form but I asked for a print out to look it over and everything seems correct and I used my SSN to help prevent identification issues.

The only thing I can think of is my CC license is in the process of updating my address and online I see it has s status of pending review by the state police but I don’t think that would have any thing to do with a NICS check since you don’t have to have a license to buy s handgun.

I am at a loss, the only other thing is it’s a goof in the system and a false positive, someone fat fingered a ssn during a arrest or I have had my identity stolen.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? I have to go to a website now and input the NICS number to request an explanation of why it was denied, the store could not tell me anything.

Worst case what is it like to have to file a appeal for the denial?

Would it come as a surprise to find that this "service" has become a "victim" of the "shutdown"?
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Several years ago it started happening to me
    Seemed to clear itself up with no explanation
    Dealer was guessing someone similar to me may have caused a glitch but it was just a guess
    I usually got cleared while I was still at the shop, No problems lately
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Meh. Buy from an individual.

Oregon has had serious issues including a cop being denied, mine took 100 days and only approved after I testified to the state senate and got a state rep to make some calls. They are required to let you know why.. thing is, if its bad info YOU have to prove them wrong,

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I haven't been denied but when I get a background check, even an instant one, it takes 15-20 minutes. All the dealers think it is because I have a very common name so there are a lot of records to look through. I wonder if there is a way for you to see your record. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that something got entered or added incorrectly.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Damn. The last time I bought a gun from a dealer, mine was approved about 3 minutes after I filled out the 4473. Both he and I were amazed at how quickly it came back.

That's the fastest it's ever come back. Usually takes about 8-10 minutes.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

What bothers me is it was denied so fast. Maybe that is good because something was misspelled or input wrong. Anyone know if something like birth city or name initials and syntax would cause a denial?

Quote Originally Posted by PROBASCO View Post
    Oregon has had serious issues including a cop being denied, mine took 100 days and only approved after I testified to the state senate and got a state rep to make some calls. They are required to let you know why.. thing is, if its bad info YOU have to prove them wrong,
    Oh wow, I really hope that is not the case for me. With your situation was it identity theft or did someone fat finger a ssn or something?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Did you make sure you answered the questions correctly? I know someone that made a mistake on one of them and was denied. He was at the Sheriffs office to get a copy of his non criminal record...... I've been delayed numerous times, once they never got around to responding and the time had passed where the dealer could transfer the weapon, but never denied, i predict a nightmare for you

I got a response back pretty fast to the request to see why it was denied and the reason in the email I was sent says "person who has been adjudicated as a mental defect or who has been committed to a mental facility", there is definitely something wrong, I have never even been to a psychiatrist (not that there is anything wrong with that) or given medicine related to mental health. I started the appeal process so I hope this can be cleared up since something is obvious out of whack and someone put the wrong information in a system some where.

If this is a case of mistakenly pulling the wrong record at my doctors office and inputting my info instead of someone else and caused this to happen I am going to at least talk to a lawyer and see if there is any recourse, if this was a flat out mistake then this is a complete load of crap to have to deal with this. I can't think of any other organization that would have my info and be in a position to diagnose or send someone to a mental health facility.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Did you make sure you answered the questions correctly? I know someone that made a mistake on one of them and was denied. He was at the Sheriffs office to get a copy of his non criminal record...... I've been delayed numerous times, once they never got around to responding and the time had passed where the dealer could transfer the weapon, but never denied, i predict a nightmare for you
    I made sure to truthfully answer all of the questions as NO except the one asking if I am the one intended to purchase and register the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I made sure to truthfully answer all of the questions
    I don't see that as being the problem
    The dealer usually sorts that all out
    When he calls in it's your ID and type of gun none of the answers you give
    Sounds like a mistaken ID for someone else
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

last time i purchased, my dealer cautioned me about 1 of the questions toward the bottom. it can be answered wrong accidently. he watches each time one filled out. don't know if that's the case for you. hope it gets cleared up.

I just did a 4473 if I remember right there's something along the lines of are you the actual purchaser of the firearm all the rest of the questions are nos

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

In the last few years I seem to get delayed almost every time I buy. Not sure why, but it goes through as soon as the second level reviews it.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    last time i purchased, my dealer cautioned me about 1 of the questions toward the bottom. it can be answered wrong accidently. he watches each time one filled out. don't know if that's the case for you. hope it gets cleared up.
    The one at the bottom asks if you are an alien in the US under a Visa, then the next sub question is yes, no or NA, I chose no to the first part and NA to the second part.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I just did a 4473 if I remember right there's something along the lines of are you the actual purchaser of the firearm all the rest of the questions are nos
    I chose yes on that one and no on the rest so that part should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    In the last few years I seem to get delayed almost every time I buy. Not sure why, but it goes through as soon as the second level reviews it.
    What I don't get is why it was denied within a few minutes and not put on review. Makes me wonder if there is a record screw up somewhere since I used my SSN which is supposed to reduce the chances of a mistaken identity. I do have a common name though but even then with the SSN it should help prevent issues.

I may have to sign up for the VAF but I really don't like that idea since that means your purchase records are kept permanently.

I most states if you get a concealed carry permit they wave the background check (it is already done...).
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I most states if you get a concealed carry permit they wave the background check (it is already done...).
    Don't agree with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    The one at the bottom asks if you are an alien in the US under a Visa, then the next sub question is yes, no or NA, I chose no to the first part and NA to the second part.

I chose yes on that one and no on the rest so that part should be OK.

What I don't get is why it was denied within a few minutes and not put on review. Makes me wonder if there is a record screw up somewhere since I used my SSN which is supposed to reduce the chances of a mistaken identity. I do have a common name though but even then with the SSN it should help prevent issues.

I may have to sign up for the VAF but I really don't like that idea since that means your purchase records are kept permanently.
    You did post on gunsnet, already suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Don't agree with your assessment.
    In Texas, if you have the CCW permit, they process the 7743 without calling...

In Texas, if you have the CCW permit, they process the 7743 without calling...
    One doesn't make most. In fact almost all Carry permit states still require a background check when purchasing a gun. For example in MN, the only benefit in the purchasing arena is the Carry permit can be used as a handgun/assault weapon purchase permit, but we still have to have the federal background check every time. I hear what you're saying there are several like your state, Arizona and Arkansas, but certainly not most.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 01-17-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast