Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Denied a Handgun Purchase and no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    One doesn't make most. In fact almost all Carry permit states still require a background check when purchasing a gun. For example in MN, the only benefit in the purchasing arena is the Carry permit can be used as a handgun/assault weapon purchase permit, but we still have to have the federal background check every time. I hear what you're saying there are several like your state, Arizona and Arkansas, but certainly not most.

I've never had any problems. My NICS comes back "proceed" in just a few minutes.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Damn. The last time I bought a gun from a dealer, mine was approved about 3 minutes after I filled out the 4473. Both he and I were amazed at how quickly it came back.

That's the fastest it's ever come back. Usually takes about 8-10 minutes.
    In Ill-annoy, it used to be a 3 day wait on handguns and 1 day on long guns. Used to be.
    Now, even with NICS, it is 3 day on ALL guns.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Don't agree with your assessment.
    Agree. They still do the background check. In Washington having a CCL allows the dealer to use the Instant Background Check system instead of having to submit the request to the local Sheriff's office. This allows me to not have to have a waiting period, but it does not get rid of the required background check.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Do you have a CCL or equivalent. If you do there should be no issue as if there was they should revoke it. This would point towards an administrative problem.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    In Ill-annoy, it used to be a 3 day wait on handguns and 1 day on long guns. Used to be.

Looks like it's not getting any easier over there either

Gov. J.B. Pritzker signs law requiring state licensing of Ill gun dealers
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...117-story.html
    Pritzker’s signature on the legislation to require gun stores to get state certifications
    “Just because we’re signing this today doesn’t mean there isn’t more to do,” Pritzker said. “But this particular bill is very important.”
    Pritzker said he wants Illinois to outlaw bump stocks and trigger cranks this year, as well as put more money toward social services. But he said “I don’t know that” lawmakers would push for a ban on assault weapons this year.
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Did you see the newly minted Gov. is going after weapons of war now, this is not good for Illinois peeps, God only knows what that fat fuck considers weapons of war.

He's dialing up on neighboring states too
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Full Otto View Post
    He's dialing up on neighboring states too
    Oh yeah, don't think a nearby mozlom congressman isn't eyeing legislation to disarm Americans.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Pritzker’s signature on the legislation to require gun stores to get state certifications
    “Just because we’re signing this today doesn’t mean there isn’t more to do,” Pritzker said. “But this particular bill is very important.”
    Pritzker said he wants Illinois to outlaw bump stocks and trigger cranks this year, as well as put more money toward social services. But he said “I don’t know that” lawmakers would push for a ban on assault weapons this year.
    That's the truth right there. No matter what kind of draconian gun bill is passed, the Dims are ALWAYS going to push for more, maybe not this year, but the next, for sure.

Only a total ban on ALL guns will start to satisfy their agenda. Nothing less will do.

IF a civil war ever starts, I hope these Dimocrats are remembered for what they are doing.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

umm yea, pretty sure they'll be the first taken out

That's the truth right there. No matter what kind of draconian gun bill is passed, the Dims are ALWAYS going to push for more, maybe not this year, but the next, for sure.

Only a total ban on ALL guns will start to satisfy their agenda. Nothing less will do.
    For those who do not believe that the Democrats strategy for gun control is not incremental steps is being willfully blind.

NRA Endowment Member

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

IF a civil war ever starts, I hope these Dimocrats are remembered for what they are doing.
    And that's just the start, the usual Communist policy is disarm the populace, take total control start the reeducation ans death camps.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
    Did you see the newly minted Gov. is going after weapons of war now, this is not good for Illinois peeps, God only knows what that fat fuck considers weapons of war.
    That is part of what concerns me ! I have 2 rifles with multiple magazines for each that hold between 30 and 75 rounds. One is an AK and the other is a 10/22.
    I may be forced out of state rather than complying.
    Problem is an aging parent that refuses to leave their house of almost 40 years.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

And that's just the start, the usual Communist policy is disarm the populace, take total control start the reeducation ans death camps.
    1 Pat - they have been "re-educating" the kids for over 30 years.

UPDATE:

I ended up getting a letter back stating to call the Pennsylvania state police. I talked to the Penisvania police mentioned in the letter and he told me that descriptors just needed to be updated and it would be fine now. The letter stated to email a specific email address and let them know once the descriptors have been updated. I emailed them back about 2 months ago and recently tried to buy a firearm again and was denied again and now have a new NTN.

Should I have waited longer? I never received a reply to my email but I would have thought it was cleared up after all this time.

Now I am thinking about just filing for a UPIN but I don't really like that option. Too bad the government isn't accountable to anyone, imagine a business treating its customers like this.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    It is sickening that in a society governed by a so-called supreme law of the land, that you have to jump through hoops that don't seem to do anything other than making your life miserable. Thinking about it, that is exactly what a late breed of voted-in morons want.

Yes it is a shame that the government isn't accountable to we the people, who per the constitution ARE the government. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    In Texas, if you have the CCW permit, they process the 7743 without calling...
    Pennsylvania is the same way. CCW= NO BACKGROUND CHECK.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Pennsylvania is the same way. CCW= NO BACKGROUND CHECK.
    I didn't think that was lawful. Here in Washington with a CCW they can use the instant background check system. Without a CCW Washington does a manual background check that takes between 3-7 days.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I got a response back pretty fast to the request to see why it was denied and the reason in the email I was sent says "person who has been adjudicated as a mental defect or who has been committed to a mental facility", there is definitely something wrong, I have never even been to a psychiatrist (not that there is anything wrong with that) or given medicine related to mental health. I started the appeal process so I hope this can be cleared up since something is obvious out of whack and someone put the wrong information in a system some where.

If this is a case of mistakenly pulling the wrong record at my doctors office and inputting my info instead of someone else and caused this to happen I am going to at least talk to a lawyer and see if there is any recourse, if this was a flat out mistake then this is a complete load of crap to have to deal with this. I can't think of any other organization that would have my info and be in a position to diagnose or send someone to a mental health facility.
    I wonder if this is a consequence of the ACA. I believe a Dr. can add something to your medical record concerning your mental health without being a psychiatrist or a psychologist. If that is what happened I am even more concerned with that law than I was before. Are you able to look at your medical record to see if you can tell what they are concerned with? I hope you are able to get it corrected.

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    UPDATE:

I ended up getting a letter back stating to call the Pennsylvania state police. I talked to the Penisvania police mentioned in the letter and he told me that descriptors just needed to be updated and it would be fine now. The letter stated to email a specific email address and let them know once the descriptors have been updated. I emailed them back about 2 months ago and recently tried to buy a firearm again and was denied again and now have a new NTN.

Should I have waited longer? I never received a reply to my email but I would have thought it was cleared up after all this time.

Now I am thinking about just filing for a UPIN but I don't really like that option. Too bad the government isn't accountable to anyone, imagine a business treating its customers like this.
    I would think 2 months is more than adequate, but given that we are talking firearms and you are in an eastern state, I bet they are being as slow as possible as the only safe gun owner is a disarmed gun owner.

NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12