Thread: Building another one. This time a P-38/P-1

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Building another one. This time a P-38/P-1

I got a smoking deal on the frame and barrel, then did some calling around to all the gun smiths within driving distance and one guy had most of the parts to put in the lower end ($40). All I am missing from the lower is the Trigger bar spring and the slide stop return spring. There is a mail order place in Ontario has those for $7 and $4... I will be ordering them tomorrow. I have a Wolff refurb kit on order with all the other springs in it and of course the slide is coming from the US though the importer I mentioned. Only difficulty I am running into surprisingly is the post war Walther grips. I was hoping for the black plastic P1 style grips. Lots and lots of wood ones and after market reproduction brown ones... but no black. Im in no rush though. This one is going faster then I thought it would.

Its funny I had a grip problem with the 1911 build as well. Thats all I am waiting for on that one. The holes where the grip screw bushings go into were not tapped. So its waiting on the gun smiths bench to have that done and the bushings installed.

here is a pic of the Walther as it stands so far.

Interesting part is, Its a steel frame that was first nazi marked and then that was poorly double stamped over with an imperial eagle. but they missed and the waffenamt is mostly still there.

Last edited by rci2950; 01-14-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38