Thread: German lands B-17G on 3 engines!

German lands B-17G on 3 engines!

"And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Wouldn't it have made more sense to land it on 3 wheels?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    My neighbor used to be into large scale flying models, so much so that when he passed away they named the local scale model airport after him.

Beautiful looking B-17!!!

Neat, and way to rich for my blood.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Apparently WE CANNOT have RC planes that big in the USA because the FAA won't allow it Too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post

In 1943, my dad's bomber (a B-24J) got shot up. Engine #4 got the crankcase blown out and all the oil was gone (so the pilot couldn't feather the prop), the bearings seized and the crankshaft (3 inch diameter forged steel!) snapped and the prop flew off.

Next, engine #3 got shot out and was feathered.

The pilot made it all the way back to the base on engines #1 and #2 (with #2 overheating and smoking).

All 4 engines had to be replaced... even #1 was overheated, had scored cylinders and was a total loss.

Upon throttling down to land, the prop on engine #1 started screaming a loud high pitched whistle. It had a 20mm hole shot through it!

The rest of the plane was like swiss cheese... full of holes from flak and enemy fighters.

Those guys had balls of steel!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to land it on 3 wheels?

A tail dragger is supposed to be landed on all three wheels at once while a training wheel airplane (nose gear) should be landed on the mains and the nose drop by itself when the airplane quite flying.

Agreed, AAC had some of the greatest losses in ww2 as far as the allied units go. The odds of completing the required mission to go home were very poor.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    Agreed, AAC had some of the greatest losses in ww2 as far as the allied units go. The odds of completing the required mission to go home were very poor.

When my dad first was assigned, they all stood in a line and the C.O. told them "look to your left and to your right... two of every three of you will not survive your 25 missions".

Guess my dad was lucky. He did survive (even after being shot down and bailing out three times (each time over Allied territory thank God)) as well as being wounded and getting a Purple Heart.

He was also MIA and presumed killed... the Army sent his parents a "We regret to inform you" letter!

People used to piss him off when they would say "The air corps is a safe job - you drop bombs from thousands of feet up".

Those people obviously didn't know about the German Flak 88 gun or the ME and BF-109 fighters... not to mention that during the bomb run they had to fly straight and true... no way to evade enemy fire.

Lots of my dad's buddies were blown apart by Flak shrapnel, 20mm cannon fire from fighters and direct hits from a Flak 88.

My dad told me at the beginning it bothered him to shoot at enemy fighters. Then on one mission the B-24 ahead of them flashed a blue-white fireball and broke into two pieces. It was hit directly in the bomb bay by a Flak 88.

The rear half of the plane seemed to stop dead in the air and the pilot had to swerve to avoid being hit.

The front half pitched up vertically and then nosed over and fell straight down spinning.

Several guys without chutes fell out of both halves, and bits of bloody flesh were smeared all over his front turret, slowly sliding to a stop as the blood dried.

After that, he had no qualms at all about killing Nazis. None at all.

My dad in 1943 (18 y.o.). Hell of a thing for a teenager to have to do.

Wunderbar ! (Please forgive any mis-spelling.)
    Incredible flight but I wonder what happened to that #2 engine.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Wunderbar ! (Please forgive any mis-spelling.)
    Incredible flight but I wonder what happened to that #2 engine.

Clogged fuel line? Burned out glow plug? Who knows?

Airplane doesn't need engines anyway. If you lose thrust, just look for a place to land and grease her in.

BTW, you spelled it correctly.

Oh.. trivia question: Does anyone know how a glow plug in a model engine (burning methanol and nitromethane) works?

No Google cheating.