Thread: Range trip with son's chinese in-laws- what guns to take?

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Range trip with son's chinese in-laws- what guns to take?

Going to the range Sunday with my son's in-laws from northern china. This is their first visit to America and they have NEVER fired a gun. I've taken the S&W .500 magnum and .338 Lapua off of the list, ( his father-in-law is 5'5" about 140 )

So what do you guys think would be the right guns to teach this guy about America's unique freedom.

I've got a Norinco AK i'm taking, he should get a kick out of that, pun intended

Norinco AK is a good call
    I'd say a wheel gun for starters
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Start out with a .22LR or .22 Mag. Once they get used to that, then move up to a .380 or .38 Spl. Once they are used to those, then, maybe, something like a 9 mm. From there, you can move them up to the larger calibers.

I have an idea they'll flinch a lot when they first start, so start them out easy and let them get used to it....

Oh, and put the targets close enough so they can print on paper....that'll give them confidence, too.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Just had another thought: Get a box of clay birds and use them as targets, too. It's always fun to see them explode when hit.

And, don't forget a shotgun or two. Probably, something like a 20 ga., and a clay bird thrower (hand held works great).Maybe they'll get so they can hit a few flying clay birds.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

I agree with alismith's points

Bring a .22 rifle because the longer barrel and sight length will increase accuracy.
    It's also easier to teach muzzle discipline with a long barrel since it doesn't turn as quickly or get pointed in an unsafe direction as easily as a pistol.
    If you have a bolt action, get some of the CCI shot shells and subsonic ammo to go with the clay birds. If you can't find a box marked 'subsonic' look for 'green tag' or 'match' ammo; those are usually subsonic. I've seen high velocity .22 slugs punch a hole dead center without shattering clays. Seems the subsonic ammo breaks them more reliably at close range and doesn't have the sonic 'crack' when fired.
    Problem is, subs and shot shells will not reliably cycle some auto-loaders. A bolt action is the obvious choice.

Another good option is 10" balloons.
    Fill with some chalk or flour before inflating and it makes a nice puff of smoke when hit.

I've converted my share of friends and acquaintances to the shooting sports, so here's some important things to remember:
    1) Schedule plenty of time so there's no rush. I'm sure you'll start with the basics of safe handling, loading and unloading but it's worth mentioning anyway.

2) Take a double dose of patience; what would be a dumb question or action from one of us is to be expected. They have probably been exposed to as much misinformation and wild rumors as anyone else who is inexperienced with firearms.

3) Have only ONE firearm out at a time. When you've finished shooting it, secure in a case or vehicle before getting out another. This is important to avoid accidents and allow you to concentrate on the shooter.

4) It's shouldn't be a contest. If someone becomes frustrated, remind them that no one played 'flight of the bumble bee' the first time they picked up a violin. Skill is gained thru practice and patience.

5) Remember that you are more than an instructor. This is an opportunity to be an emissary for the firearms community. You want them to have an experience they will remember and cherish for years to come.

Be safe and let us know how everything goes at the range.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Yep, much of what is said above. Take a good, reliable .22LR. A Norinco AK variant as you said is a must. I would also take an evil black rifle.

And like Nobeard above said, make sure firearm safety is number one. Make sure they know you are 100% behind safe use of firearms and that they understand safe treatment of the tools of our trade.

If you have a Beretta 92 variant, that would be a good one as that is a very popular movie pistol, one Jackie Chan played with in many of his movies.

An AR for sure.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I just found out they are bringing the 7 year old boy along. I just recruited my granddaughter to help with him, she's been shooting since she was 5.

We will be shooting at Ben Avery range, it's well supervised and the safest and oldest range in the state. Not going to be able to shoot anything but targets. I'd love to take them out to the desert to shoot but i think it will be safer at the range.

Thanks for all the advise, the list is as follows:

Ruger Mark III target model with red dot sight
    Ruger 10/22 with iron sights
    Norinco AK-47
    Bushmaster AR-15 w/Vortex red dot
    Glock 29- that's mine, need to test some ammo i loaded ( 165 gold dots, 180 XTPs w/blue dot ), with the Lab Radar. Trying to hit 1200FPS with the 165s.
    Glock 20- my son's
    Taurus PT 709S 9mm
    Mossberg 500 12 ga.
    Beretta Ninty-TWO .40sw, i think they quit making this model after i bought mine.

I'll set up 12" shoot-n-see targets at 15 yds. and be shooting from a rest. No beard is right, success hitting the target is the fun part.
    We're going to try and make this as memorable as possible, might be the first and last time they get to shoot a gun.

The big problem is going to be language, my Mandarin chinese is a little rusty . My daughter-in-law speaks american but with a heavy accent. Sign language will be the rule of the day i think.

The folks that shoot at Ben Avery are great, everyone loves to show newbies how to shoot, specially kids. Sunday is the day most of the guys i shoot with show up so there will be a bunch of happy gun nuts around.

I was successful (surprisingly) in turning my other son's "chuck shumer-new york jew" relatives into gun enthusiasts, at least when they come to AZ. You wouldn't be surprised to know that they, 3 men, 3 women, were most worried about all the gun nuts they would be around, they were pretty sure the cigar chewing,pot bellied rednecks out here would be the assholes they were told they would be.
    NOT.. my friends treated them like guests in there own home, by the end of the day(bout 1000 rnds later) everyone was best buddies and exchanging e-mail addresses. On the trip home the jews were "absolutely astounded" by how "normal" gun owners were ( i shit you not). One of the guys was an engineer and he and my bench rest shooting friends got into some serious ballistics theorizing.

I'll let you know how it goes, Thanks