Thread: Password rant!!!!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Password rant!!!!

In a couple of days I will be celebrating my 17th year with Gunsnet. In that time I have had a small hand in developing the site.

Twice a year we are mandated to change our password. I use a set only for Gunsnet, and as such makes it very easy to remember. Regardless, when asked to change my password over the years there have been several times where I had trouble, but usually never like last night and today.

Last night I got my update mandate and entered my normal second half of the year password. I then entered a first half of the year password. I was rejected being told that my password was incorrect. Really??? I have used it many times in my administrative responsibility, but suddenly it isn't right???

So I went through the "forgot password" button and was emailed a link to go to that would bring me here to click on a link back to my email with a temporary password. When I went back last night, I sat by my email for an hour and never received the second email with the password.

Went back to this website and had no trouble moving around as always and figured it must have automatically updated and I was fine... WRONG!!!!

Turned on the internet this afternoon and was in the standard welcome to gunsnet screen. When I tried to log in I again was told my password was wrong. After just about giving up, I decided to try the "forgot password" button. Went to my email, got the link directing me back here, clicked on the send temporary password button and went back to my email. MAGIC! There was a new password.

Came back to this site, entered the new password and was told that my password was incorrect. Of course this was my 5th attempt and I had to wait 15 minutes for it to reset. Came back after the 15 minutes, re-entered the emailed password and amazing, here I am!

Then I went to try to find where to update my password. I have been on this site 17 years, set up many of it's operating rules and I CAN'T FIND THE UPDATE PASSWORD LINK!!!!!!!

Can you, my friends tell I am not happy!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    Last edited by imanaknut; 01-22-2019 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Math wiz, been here longer than I remembered!

Update, finally found the link to the update password section and amazingly, it worked!

I am so happy!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Funny, I've been here for 20+ years with the same password and username and have never got a notice to change my password.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Funny, I've been here for 20+ years with the same password and username and have never got a notice to change my password.
    Haven't been here as long but I've never had to either.
    Is that something for Administrators or something?
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Might be an Admin thing.

​Who do I complain to about being discriminated against???

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Might be an Admin thing.

​Who do I complain to about being discriminated against???
    Might be a thing to prevent someone from getting control of the board by hacking your account on another forum. A lot of people use the same password on multiple sites...or with very little variation.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

He is right guys. I had the same issue a little while ago so there is some kind of glitch or something going on. Like Nut I have been here almost 20 yrs so it is strange all of a sudden this happens.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

There be gremlins in the system....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

same here,

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    So I went through the "forgot password" button and was emailed a link to go to that would bring me here to click on a link back to my email with a temporary password. When I went back last night, I sat by my email for an hour and never received the second email with the password.
    Use the admin section to set your password. When it asks, change it to whatever. Then go to the admin section and set it back to your normal one.
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Same for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    Same for me...

Maybe only admins need to do it?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Maybe only admins need to do it?
    Guessing this is the case. While I don't mind having to change passwords every now and then, it is all too frequent on this site for it to tell me that my password is wrong.

Oh well, doesn't matter now, I have 5 1/2 months before having to go through it again. Woopie!