Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Gov Shut Down Is Over

  1. #21
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I’ll admit Trump is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t but if he couldn’t get the wall built when Republicans held the majority in both houses of Congress how’s it going to happen now? The President can only do so much. Too many members of Congress are more worried about getting re-elected than they are doing the right thing for the country.
    Is it possible he couldn't get it built when the Republicans held the majority because he never intended to build it? That is until Ann Coulter and Rush put the heat on him. They gave him a backbone for a month or so.

  2. #22
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm not rushing to judgment on this as of right now. I believe Trump is simply trying to exhaust every other option before declaring a national emergency to get the wall built.
    Trump knows and all of us know that a national emergency declaration will be stopped in court. The only hope of a wall being built was to maintain the shutdown until the Federal teat actually ran dry.

  3. #23
    Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    4,179
    Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Trump knows and all of us know that a national emergency declaration will be stopped in court. The only hope of a wall being built was to maintain the shutdown until the Federal teat actually ran dry.
    I suspect he has already planned for that nonsense. If they get a Hawaiian judge to order an injunction this will get expedited to SCOTUS. He will win. It's just a matter of time.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

    WWG1WGA

    Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

  4. #24
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,019
    The Art of the Kneel.
    https://www.breitbart.com/entertainm...-of-the-kneel/

    What a disgrace.

    I know I have started to rant on this subject. In my defense I am devastated by the sell out. This will be last comment until the 3 weeks of the CR are up. Then I will be back here to either point out that Trump did nothing or eat some crow.

  5. #25
    Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    4,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I’ll admit Trump is damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t but if he couldn’t get the wall built when Republicans held the majority in both houses of Congress how’s it going to happen now? The President can only do so much. Too many members of Congress are more worried about getting re-elected than they are doing the right thing for the country.
    Sad but true! Since he is not a politician and doesn't fit into the good old boys club he is a outsider. They don't like that one bit. Hopefully in 3 wks something good happens. I hope!

    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...ays-if-no-deal
    Last edited by recon; 01-26-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

    Original Member-July-1999!

  6. #26
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,237
    Don't you just love how Jet increases his post count by replying to single posts only instead of using the multiquote button?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  7. #27
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,436
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Don't you just love how Jet increases his post count by replying to single posts only instead of using the multiquote button?
    It's called, "The Art of the Spiel."
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  8. #28
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,237
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    It's called, "The Art of the Spiel."
    Is that anything like that lower GI problem that requires something like Pepto or Kaopectate?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  9. #29
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,436
    Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Is that anything like that lower GI problem that requires something like Pepto or Kaopectate?
    Nope. Just a play on words. Although a beer or two might help with that problem....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  10. #30
    Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Back in the Pacific Northwest!
    Posts
    7,840
    Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    Is it possible he couldn't get it built when the Republicans held the majority because he never intended to build it? That is until Ann Coulter and Rush put the heat on him. They gave him a backbone for a month or so.
    This question shows how little you know of the workings of Congress, specifically the Senate. Having a Republican (or any party majority for that matter) does not guarantee anything until you have a 60 vote majority to get past the bastardized filibuster (cloture) rules currently in place in the Senate.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

    "HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

    I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

    Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

    NRA Endowment Member

  11. #31
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    This question shows how little you know of the workings of Congress, specifically the Senate. Having a Republican (or any party majority for that matter) does not guarantee anything until you have a 60 vote majority to get past the bastardized filibuster (cloture) rules currently in place in the Senate.
    He always had the ability to veto a budget he didn't like.

    Would you care to explain why when Trump lied last week it wasn't a lie.

    Just in case you forgot, on Thursday he said he would not sign a 3 week CR without a down payment on the wall.

    On Friday he signed a 3 week CR that did not provide funding for a wall.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Justin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,080
    Alright, it looks like Trump went with the National Emergency route. What's everyone's thoughts now?

  13. #33
    Administrator imanaknut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Posts
    10,503
    Funny that the constitution of the United States of America mandates only three main things in federal government control, one of which is to secure the borders. Since most feel the constitution is nothing more than old toilet paper, I can understand their inability to do their assigned jobs and worry more about violating other statutes.

  14. #34
    Senior Member NAPOTS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    2,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Alright, it looks like Trump went with the National Emergency route. What's everyone's thoughts now?
    The president asked for $5B, democrats finally offered $1.5B, Trump said thats nice I'll take your $1.5B and make it $8B.

  15. #35
    Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    4,065
    Just another fight coming probably thru the courts! Seems to be the norm when ever he does something they don't like.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

    Original Member-July-1999!

  16. #36
    Administrator imanaknut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Posts
    10,503
    Quote Originally Posted by recon View Post
    Just another fight coming probably thru the courts! Seems to be the norm when ever he does something they don't like.
    There are many in the government backed by the news media who hate to see Trump succeed at anything. I would say that would normally be called treason but thinking back to King Barack, there were those in the government that did it to him although he had unquestioned backing from the news media.

  17. #37
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    TrumpLand
    Posts
    4,502
    Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    He always had the ability to veto a budget he didn't like.

    Would you care to explain why when Trump lied last week it wasn't a lie.

    Just in case you forgot, on Thursday he said he would not sign a 3 week CR without a down payment on the wall.

    On Friday he signed a 3 week CR that did not provide funding for a wall.
    Guess you're sorry Hillary or Bernie didn't win in the last election. They certainly would have been doing a better job of upholding our US Constitution and in particular ceasing the tidal wave of illegal invasion over our southern border. Not to mention championing the 2nd Article of that Constitution.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

  18. #38
    Senior Member Justin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,080
    I'm honestly pretty satisfied with the outcome over this budget battle. Trump managed to get $1.6 AND he declared the national emergency and is at least willing to fight it out in the courts. Hopefully it will go to SCOTUS, and SCOTUS will run in his favor. I feel like that's the only way the wall was ever going to be built anyway.

  19. #39
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,237
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    Guess you're sorry Hillary or Bernie didn't win in the last election. They certainly would have been doing a better job of upholding our US Constitution and in particular ceasing the tidal wave of illegal invasion over our southern border. Not to mention championing the 2nd Article of that Constitution.
    Don't worry. Jet will get another chance to "feel the burn". If Sanders, by some miracle wins, he would be the OLDEST President ever inaugurated at 79.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  20. #40
    Senior Member Full Otto's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I'm honestly pretty satisfied with the outcome over this budget battle. Trump managed to get $1.6 AND he declared the national emergency and is at least willing to fight it out in the courts. Hopefully it will go to SCOTUS, and SCOTUS will run in his favor. I feel like that's the only way the wall was ever going to be built anyway.
    I wonder if there could be some kind of private fundraiser nationwide and using private contractors on land owned by private landowners that want it using the type of wall that has been found most effective using those specs......
    That would keep the stretches shorter for the funds available when they come up
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •