Thread: No block heater? No start.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

No block heater? No start.

-31 no start for anything but with block heaters. Glad they said stay home.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Is your engine coolant good for that low a temperature?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

It's 5:45 in the morning here and it's 51 F.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Is your engine coolant good for that low a temperature?
    Hopefully.

Was that actual temp or wind chill?
    It was -6 yesterday morning when I had to start a car that had sat in an open-sided carport overnight. It cranked twice before it fired and caught on the 3rd roll. Sounded funny for a couple of minutes until it started warming up. I just made sure to drive slowly for about the first half mile, then no higher than 40 until the water temperature started to rise.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Hopefully.

You'll know for sure next time you drive it!
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

That oil would be a solid unless it's synthetic. 16f here and it really dragged the starter down first start, but after that it turned over normally once heated up./
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Was that actual temp or wind chill?
    It was -6 yesterday morning when I had to start a car that had sat in an open-sided carport overnight. It cranked twice before it fired and caught on the 3rd roll. Sounded funny for a couple of minutes until it started warming up. I just made sure to drive slowly for about the first half mile, then no higher than 40 until the water temperature started to rise.
    Actual, this is MN.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    That oil would be a solid unless it's synthetic. 16f here and it really dragged the starter down first start, but after that it turned over normally once heated up./
    I only use Amsoil in my vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    You'll know for sure next time you drive it!
    I just put a charger on it, 11.9V, My Plow Dodge also battery died. We had -30 for two nights in a row, think it killed both batteries.

Fully charged, started fine at 8 degrees, drove to work it sat for 10 hours at 14 degrees started fine. Apparently -30 was just too rough for the old battery. I'll check it with my tester later just to make sure it's all good.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Good Lord!
    -31ºF isn't a temperature, that's a math problem.

At the family homestead there's an old 'driveway' by the house for the truck and another beside the barn for the tractor.
    This was from back in the day when oil would turn to molasses in cold weather because it was non-detergent and nobody had thought up synthetic.
    Think of two concrete strips with a low spot in the middle that's lined with old plow discs. Tires go on the concrete and the engine and trans are centered over low spot.
    When it would get cold (usually no worse than single digits to the low teens.) you could get a shovel full of coals from the fireplace and throw it under the vehicle to heat up the oil pan, engine block and fuel lines.
    The plow discs were there in case of snow drifts or ice. Scrape them off first to keep the coals from going out as the ice melted.

Also been told that there was a drain cock on the side of the engine like the one on a radiator so you could drain it completely out at night and before the cold weather hit. They also (supposedly) used kerosene as coolant in the winter.

Some of you are going to roll your eyes at the 'single digits to low teens' as cold weather.
    In the summer? It can run triple digits (105ºF) for weeks at a time with a nightly low of 95ºF.