Thread: Okay I smell a lot of hokey in this story

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Okay I smell a lot of hokey in this story

Anyone else find a lot of BS or terrible reporting here? https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...lfb-nSckqz3Eu0

What it sounds like is an engineering student got enthralled with the notion of building stuff himself and didn't think about the stupid law. I love HOW the article has to end with the flourish of talking about MASS SHOOTERS when it's a technical crime. The kid was a mechanical engineer who figure out how to make a semi auto firearm select fire. Just being curious about technology (and being rather clueless about the law and the consequences) is not the same as being a mass killer. I love how the media immediately makes the two identical in nature.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    According to the article, he knew the law, knew they were illegal, and said he didn't like laws. He knew what he was doing...except he didn't know the part about keeping his mouth shut, as someone dropped a dime on him.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

"BS or bad reporting"? No, not really.
    As Tank and N/A opined, a budding engineer with the ability to do metalwork and decided to "experiment", regardless of the law. And, as N/A said, too stupid to clam up.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

I have a hunch a 3D printer was involved
    bet the school has a pretty nice one
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

I want to know what his 19 round burst trigger group looks like ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    What it sounds like is an engineering student got enthralled with the notion of building stuff himself and didn't think about the stupid law. I love HOW the article has to end with the flourish of talking about MASS SHOOTERS when it's a technical crime. The kid was a mechanical engineer who figure out how to make a semi auto firearm select fire. Just being curious about technology (and being rather clueless about the law and the consequences) is not the same as being a mass killer. I love how the media immediately makes the two identical in nature.

Converting a rifle to full auto (especially the AR and AK types) is, as we all know, super easy.

DOING it, however, doesn't at this moment make much sense, and TALKING to police NEVER makes sense.

The kid deserves some jail time for being too stupid to not KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT.

NEVER, EVER talk to police or believe their lie that "if you talk we can make things go easier" or "why do you want a lawyer if you're innocent?".

And, police will try all kinds of tricks... goading the person, trying to intimidate, trying the "I'm just trying to help you" crap, whatever.... no matter how scared or angry a person gets, they MUST say NOTHING. NOTHING!

Remember the Miranda warning: "Everything you say has already been used against you".
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

N/A
    I think that 'lightening link' is a nickname for the DIAS that need the full auto trigger parts and bolt carrier to work. It just replaces the military style auto sear and fits into a commercial lower. Years ago there were dealers at the Dallas gun shows who had them but it required an approved form 4 and tax stamp to transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    The kid deserves some jail time for being too stupid to not KEEP HIS MOUTH SHUT.

NEVER, EVER talk to police or believe their lie that "if you talk we can make things go easier" or "why do you want a lawyer if you're innocent?".

And, police will try all kinds of tricks... goading the person, trying to intimidate, trying the "I'm just trying to help you" crap, whatever.... no matter how scared or angry a person gets, they MUST say NOTHING. NOTHING!

Remember the Miranda warning: "Everything you say has already been used against you".
    Here's a better one:
    Silence may be golden, but duct tape is silver.

Any time you're being questioned by anything attached to a badge, there are only two answers they need to hear.
    1) "I want to contact my attorney."
    2) "I want to contact my attorney right fucking NOW."

Full Auto for Any AR: How a Lightning Link Works
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...nnector-works/
    Commonly known as the “Lightning Link” the S.W.D., Inc. Auto Connector is a rarity to see these days. With fewer than 900 manufactured and registered in the NFA registry, the Lightning Links are a novel way to convert a semi-automatic AR-15 into a fully-automatic firearm. While the conversion is two-way (meaning can be installed and removed without issue), the Lightning Link will turn the firearm into full-auto only as installed.

Its physical operation is interesting for those looking at weapons design. Rather than require modified hammers and other full-auto parts, the Lightning Link was designed for off-the-shelf commercial AR-15 rifles without the sear block. It normally consist of two parts, the main link and the sear.
    I'm not familiar with the bolt in the video maybe because it's 9mm
    The one in the diagram is what I'm used to seeing but it should give you the idea
    It's different from the DIAS
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Actually, no, nobeard, what is originally known as the dias is not a lightning link. Completely different.
    This is a drop in auto sear.

All things considered, this isn't what the well regulated patriot wants, as you would also need all the full auto parts on hand. Quite a ways to get in trouble.

Having been thru one period of Clinton/Reno style of government, I think I'm safe to say we would have plenty of warning if the .gov were going to turn on citizens who own guns. Thus, with some warning time, all a person needs is the plans for a swift link. It requires you keep no full auto parts on hand, and would be easy to make in a few hours. Also, you would need to make a wedge to fill in the bottom rear of a semi-automatic bolt to make it like a full auto bolt.

Thus, you could stay legal and still be prepared. There would be no reason to poke the man with a sharp stick to make him come after you.
    Last edited by N/A; 02-04-2019 at 07:18 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

The "lightning link".

My understanding that by using it you have full auto only, not selective fire with semi-automatic also. Thus, not worth the trouble, ...and certainly not worth getting in trouble over. Forget this one.

In the link I gave in another Post, you can find the "swift link". All you need to keep on hand is the knowledge of how to make one if that day ever comes. Otherwise, you're as legal as the day is long,...or until the ATF finds a "typo" in their regs and outlaws legal weapons.

If the ATF doesn't make us criminals, then they won't have to deal with criminals.

Last edited by N/A; 02-04-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Anyone else find a lot of BS or terrible reporting here? https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...lfb-nSckqz3Eu0

Florida’s recently-enacted ban on so-called bump-fire stocks, which convert semiautomatic firearms to mimic fully-automatic weapons, prohibits the possession of any device which alters the firing rate of a gun to replicate automatic weapon fire.

Does that mean index fingers and belt loops are banned?
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Does that mean index fingers and belt loops are banned?
    I hope they don't ban bump stocks on muzzle loaders. That would be terrible.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    I hope they don't ban bump stocks on muzzle loaders. That would be terrible.
    you mean one of those machine gun conversion kits that allow it to fire continually as long as the trigger is pressed until it runs out of ammunition?

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    you mean one of those machine gun conversion kits that allow it to fire continually as long as the trigger is pressed until it runs out of ammunition?
    Yea, i have one of those, unfortunately it runs out of ammo after one shot.....dammit, should have kept my mouth shut, now i'm on "the list" because as we all know, it isn't what you do, but what you might intend to do even if it's physically impossible.
    Last edited by davepool; 02-01-2019 at 09:58 AM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Damn. My muzzle loader does empty itself with one pull of the trigger. Does that mean it's on the BATFE list as a machine gun now?
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

You guys missed he had a DIAS and a Bumpstock along with 6 round magazines.......... Why would you need a bumpstock along with the DIAS? Smells like BS to me, and where do I get all those lethal 6 round magazines?