Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Raspberry Pi 3 B+

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    4,541

    Raspberry Pi 3 B+

    Well i just got a new one. Retired the TV Raspberry pi 2 to use as a game console and the one I was using as a computer Pi 3B is now my TV box. Im currently using the pi 3B+ It has quad core 1.4ghz cpu and 512 mb or memory. using the Raspbian OS it is very comfortable with my tasks. Which include shitposting on facebook, shilling 4chan and of course lurking here. very pleased with it. Just an idea if anyone is looking for an inexpencive project.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

  2. #2
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,761
    I build my own computers usually, but I've never understood what that was all about.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    13,545
    As a member of the PC GAMING MASTER RACE I look down upon the likes of console players with much disdain, however using pis for geek stuff is highly rated in the nerd community.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,761
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    As a member of the PC GAMING MASTER RACE I look down upon the likes of console players with much disdain, however using pis for geek stuff is highly rated in the nerd community.
    We're brothers at the top!

  5. #5
    Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    4,541
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I build my own computers usually, but I've never understood what that was all about.
    its a $50 computer that is the size of an altoids tin that has a large amount of support software and a number of different operating systems for different uses, they are a lot of fun and cheap.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

  6. #6
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,761
    Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    its a $50 computer that is the size of an altoids tin that has a large amount of support software and a number of different operating systems for different uses, they are a lot of fun and cheap.
    What kind of operating systems and practical uses?

  7. #7
    Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    under your bed
    Posts
    4,541
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    What kind of operating systems and practical uses?
    Then main regular computer OS is Raspbian which is Debian but customised for the pi. The second most popular is RISC OS. Which was originally on the BBC Micro. It has continued to live and progress since then surprisingly and the version for the pi is very modern. I tried it and it is very functional. You can also put old versions of Mac OS on it for fun but not for function.

    Using it as a TV box there are two main operating systems which the names are slipping me. They are simply a dvr with access to all those streaming sites like solarvid and openload. If you want to pay money you can also have the cable channels work. It's through IPTV and mostly British channels. I did that for a while. The brit commercials are neat.

    Lastly is setting it up as a retro video game console. The os is Retro pi and once installed you use USB game controllers... you can download packages of Roms which are essentially all the games ever produced for the NES, Sega Master System, Atari 2600, commodore 64 and the other game systems of that era. I am currently working on this with one of mine.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

  8. #8
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,761
    Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post
    Lastly is setting it up as a retro video game console. The os is Retro pi and once installed you use USB game controllers... you can download packages of Roms which are essentially all the games ever produced for the NES, Sega Master System, Atari 2600, commodore 64 and the other game systems of that era. I am currently working on this with one of mine.
    Now you've caught my attention, What kind of resolutions can this mini computer work with? I bought a neat little adapter for my Super nintendo that displays on a big screen TV 1080P/I . I have a commodore 64 and floppy drive sitting in the closet/ might be advantageous to have the games without having to bring out the big keyboard and floppy drive for the C64, or does the Raspberry need a keyboard?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •