Thread: I was gifted a Beagle!

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I was gifted a Beagle!

Got her through my Vet. Her names, Lucy. She's a little over a year old. Really nice little dog, she seems (so far) to be house broke and doesn't make a lot of noise like some Beagles do.

The main reason I agreed to take her is because I've been wanting a rabbit dog for quite a while.

Her field training starts tomorrow.

Returns June 3rd.

I had some roomates once that had a Beagle.
    There's still time to shoot it before you get attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomluck View Post
    I had some roomates once that had a Beagle.
    There's still time to shoot it before you get attached to it.
    Ah man, no way, I've been wanting one for rabbit hunting. I don't want to only have an easy time of it when there's fresh snow, and even then they need flushed from the brush piles.
    Returns June 3rd.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Lucky Lucy to have come to you. Dogs love the hunt. Hell, they just love to "patrol" with you - that's take a walk...

Congrats! She's a looker
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Ah man, no way, I've been wanting one for rabbit hunting. I don't want to only have an easy time of it when there's fresh snow, and even then they need flushed from the brush piles.
    She looks like she's already drawing a bead on one someplace out there
    For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Nice dog Jefferson.I hope she works out for you.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Thanks Guys.

Holy cow! So I've taken Lucy and Dookie on several short walks today in the small woods behind our house. And even tho she's acted real interested in the few thickets and limb piles back there, I've kept her away from them because I don't know as of yet how she'll be off leash. Well dang, not 20' from our back door here just a few minuets ago, we jumped a rabbit in the yard, *bang* she freaked, she let out a yelp and instantly was trying to find it's scent. I ran along behind her holding on to the leash with her hot on the trail of the rabbit and she dove into some tall grass and flushed it again! I let her track it to a thicket and then decided to end the session. I did tell her how good she was and gave her a dog treat. It was pretty cool, she obviously knows what they are and how to find them, it looks like she has a good nose, she didn't bark much, I'm hoping that will increase in the field. After what I saw today out of her I'm definitely going to take the shotgun with me tomorrow. It should be interesting and I'll report back on how it goes.

Returns June 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    After what I saw today out of her I'm definitely going to take the shotgun with me tomorrow. It should be interesting and I'll report back on how it goes.

Good plan. You won't miss her with a shotgun. :up:
    See how she does off the leash hunting up something to run down.

Good luck with her. I've read that Beagles need a LOT of patients when training. Sounds like you're off to a good start though.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Always liked to hunt with beagles, but never owned one. Something primal gets triggered when you hunt with a dog.

Just a couple of things about beagles in general. For one thing they are very single-minded when it comes to cottontails, and unless they are very well trained to come when called they will run a bunny or themselves to death before giving up.
    Number two, in general beagles love everybody, and they have no problem hopping in a car with a friendly stranger. Just something to keep in mind.