Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 86

Thread: Does anyone still find pre '65 coins in circulation?

  1. #61
    Senior Member Viking350's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Yeah DOOH... About 5 minutes after I messaged you I searched troy ounces Fucking french. Always screwing things up. Damn. I thought I got more than I paid for. Ordered a scale that has all the proper measurements. LOL What a dumbass sometimes. Thanks for letting me know. One of my pet peeves about sites like this, Not enough room for all your messages. I hate deleting them and yeah I try to save them, but who remembers where you saved them on your computer and how to access them in a good manner except the NSA
    Yeah, if you can’t find one of your emails just file a FOIA request with .gov.

  2. #62
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,105
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Yeah, if you can’t find one of your emails just file a FOIA request with .gov.
    Not sure that would get any results. After all, they couldn't find Hitlary's emails. (Maybe the Russians can find them...)
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

  3. #63
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,825
    BWAHHAAAAA.... You guys are too much!

  4. #64
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,129
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Not sure that would get any results. After all, they couldn't find Hitlary's emails. (Maybe the Russians can find them...)
    Maybe they did and are hiding them to protect her and the Clinton Family (Crime) Foundation.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  5. #65
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    13,727
    BIS General Manager Outlines Vision for Central Bank Digital Currencies
    As the furore of Brexit gained in intensity last month, BIS General Manager Agustin Carstens gave a speech at the Central Bank of Ireland 2019 Whitaker Lecture. Under the heading, ‘The future of money and payments‘, Carstens mapped out what has been a long standing vision of globalists – namely, to acquire full spectrum control of the international financial system through the gradual abolition of what Bank of England governor Mark Carney has called ‘tangible assets‘ i.e. physical money.
    https://stevenguinness2.wordpress.co...al-currencies/
    the bis is who central banks get their orders from
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  6. #66
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Posts
    5,284
    I'm glad ya'll started this thread. I haven't found any silver, but I have received more old coins in change lately than in a long time. I chalk it up to this thread. Picked up a 1940 nickle this morning.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

  7. #67
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,825
    Next question for the heavy metal guys, Why are coins worth a big ass premium than minted rounds? To the point of ridiculousness like twice the price of an ounce of silver......... Paying for the prettyness?

  8. #68
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Posts
    5,284
    Some of them are legal tender, thus fall into the collectible category.
    Others are just bullion put out by private mints, and are just metal with a design.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

  9. #69
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,825
    Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    Some of them are legal tender, thus fall into the collectible category.
    Others are just bullion put out by private mints, and are just metal with a design.
    Yeah but who would use a legal tender coin 40 times what it's legal worth to buy some Popsicles or beer?

  10. #70
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Posts
    5,284
    No one, except those having a nicotine fit,....but it's just the idea they are "collectible" coins. I haven't bought anything in a long time, but "American Eagles used to be only a couple of dollars over the price of generic 1oz rounds.


    Just looking at Kitco, and their site says spot price is about $15 at the moment, 1oz generic Buffalo round is about $17.50 and US mint American Eagles are about a dollar higher. Not a bad price for American Eagle over spot.


    https://www.kitco.com/
    Last edited by N/A; 04-13-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

  11. #71
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    530
    "Does anyone still find pre '65 coins in circulation?" Yes a few. I like to walk/hike in the national forest,premitive campgrounds,trout streams. I find wheat pennies on almost every walk. Lately the campgrounds have produced lots of Eires, Shillings, Centavos and Francs. Tourists?!

  12. #72
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,825
    Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    No one, except those having a nicotine fit,....but it's just the idea they are "collectible" coins. I haven't bought anything in a long time, but "American Eagles used to be only a couple of dollars over the price of generic 1oz rounds.


    Just looking at Kitco, and their site says spot price is about $15 at the moment, 1oz generic Buffalo round is about $17.50 and US mint American Eagles are about a dollar higher. Not a bad price for American Eagle over spot.


    https://www.kitco.com/
    I suppose collecting is in the eye of the beholder but those coins aren't exactly rare, I still don't see any actual benefit for me anyway in paying $2 over the cost of the silver for a legal tender.

  13. #73
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,825
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    "Does anyone still find pre '65 coins in circulation?" Yes a few. I like to walk/hike in the national forest,premitive campgrounds,trout streams. I find wheat pennies on almost every walk. Lately the campgrounds have produced lots of Eires, Shillings, Centavos and Francs. Tourists?!
    That's interesting. Would be cool to walk around old mining camps,see if you find something even more out there!

  14. #74
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    530
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    That's interesting. Would be cool to walk around old mining camps,see if you find something even more out there!
    All the old mines in this area are on private property so that's out. One trip thru a camp site near a trout stream produced a rod & reel a neck knife in the sheath 2 eire's 5 wheat pennies 2 silver dimes a cast iron griddle 2 stainless pans and a Number 6 Opinel.
    Last edited by whiskeyman; 04-14-2019 at 04:41 PM.

  15. #75
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Posts
    5,284
    You're never going to pay spot price for silver; there will always be a dealer mark up per ouce. If you want to just buy small amount at a time, with the least mark up, I'd suggest 10 oz generic bars. On line companies will usually have free shipping if you buy a certain amount. You'll just have to search on line for different companies.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

  16. #76
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,825
    Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    You're never going to pay spot price for silver; there will always be a dealer mark up per ouce. If you want to just buy small amount at a time, with the least mark up, I'd suggest 10 oz generic bars. On line companies will usually have free shipping if you buy a certain amount. You'll just have to search on line for different companies.
    Actually you can, check out Vikings post previous in this thread.

  17. #77
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    harms way
    Posts
    13,727
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Next question for the heavy metal guys, Why are coins worth a big ass premium than minted rounds? To the point of ridiculousness like twice the price of an ounce of silver......... Paying for the prettyness?
    If shtf I won't be trading in rounds or bars since I have no way of knowing if they're legit silver or not, or if they are, their content. For example, someone sold a mess of gold to China I think it was, and the bars were mostly zinc or some other metal with a layer of gold. With coins they're a known value.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

  18. #78
    Senior Member Viking350's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Next question for the heavy metal guys, Why are coins worth a big ass premium than minted rounds? To the point of ridiculousness like twice the price of an ounce of silver......... Paying for the prettyness?
    I don't "collect" so I don't buy coins with numismatic value. Numismatic value is derived from a loose combination of scarcity (mintage) and demand. There are mintage numbers known and published for all government minted coins. You have no idea how many generic rounds have been minted. While I do have a few generic rounds that I got from those spot deals from dealers, I have mostly junk silver bought from individuals. If you do buying on Ebay, enroll in their Ebay bucks. From time to time they send you an email offering between 8% and 10% Ebay bucks. Buying with that from the big dealers like Apmex and others will bring you very close to spot. Here is a link to a page that shows you what the cost is versus spot price if you key in what Ebay bucks percentage you are getting. https://findbullionprices.com/ebay-b...ver&discount=1
    Last edited by Viking350; 04-18-2019 at 12:30 PM.

  19. #79
    Senior Member Viking350's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    If shtf I won't be trading in rounds or bars since I have no way of knowing if they're legit silver or not, or if they are, their content. For example, someone sold a mess of gold to China I think it was, and the bars were mostly zinc or some other metal with a layer of gold. With coins they're a known value.
    I agree. If it ever comes to that it seems logical that government minted silver coins will be more readily accepted than generic silver due to the certainty of their content.

  20. #80
    Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    6,825
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    If shtf I won't be trading in rounds or bars since I have no way of knowing if they're legit silver or not, or if they are, their content. For example, someone sold a mess of gold to China I think it was, and the bars were mostly zinc or some other metal with a layer of gold. With coins they're a known value.
    How hard would it be to counterfeit a coin? It'd be about the same as a round wouldn't it? I just got the monument metals first buyer coins, how would I know they are any more real than rounds I bought elsewhere?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •