Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still find pre '65 coins in circulation?

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Does anyone still find pre '65 coins in circulation?

I never seem to find them..It's been a while since I found a wheat penny.

I've bought a little silver from JM Bullion lately. I don't plan on stacking a huge amount, but I want at least a small collection.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Every once in a long while, I'll find a silver quarter, dime, or copper penny, but it's very rare. Since I dump all my pocket change into a container every day (I cash it all in every November to buy myself a Christmas gun), I tend to look at them closely just before I dump them. Seeing fewer and fewer as time goes on.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Very rarely but when I do find one the first thing that comes to mind is that the only reason it is in circulation is that it was stolen.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

For some reason when I swipe my card for everything, I don't get any coins. The silver is undoubtedly worth more than the coin. I've been thinking about buying silver bullion, is that a place I can send money to every month and have them send me bullion?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Only things I find '64 or before is an occasional copper penny, and rarely a nickel. Just got a 1959 nickel in change two days ago.

Not many people look at nickels.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    For some reason when I swipe my card for everything, I don't get any coins. The silver is undoubtedly worth more than the coin. I've been thinking about buying silver bullion, is that a place I can send money to every month and have them send me bullion?
    I have a friend who is heavy into silver and gold. One of the places she likes to buy is at, of all places, gun shows. Be advised it is extremely important to be up to the minute of silver and gold prices, and I would not be surprised if there is an iPhone app that gives instant spot market values.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Try www.jmbullion.com or www.providentmetals.com.

I've dealt with both of them and they are great companies to order from.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

I have some 40% silver half dollars I’ll sell at spot plus shipping if you are interested.

I belong to a couple groups on Facebook for coins. People post stories (I believe fictional) of buying boxes of halves from their bank and finding 90% and 40% coins.

Most of it ends up out of circulation once in, less and less every day is available. That being said, you can still find junk silver for around $28 an ounce shipped, check the local coin shops but be ready to be raped. Check the coin machines reject receptacle as you pass by, the silver coins don't weight the same as the clad coins and so the machines will reject them and some people never even notice that the coins they put in the machine have been rejected. Also, if you know any cashiers, let them know you'll buy whatever silver they come across. Also make sure to get dimes and quarters so you don't have to cut a dollar in half during shtf.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

Haven't seen any in a long while. They're probably all neck-bearded by now.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

If you are going to do that, find a LOCAL coin shop that also sells bullion. Getting bullion "sent" to you will eat you up with S & H charges. Ask the local shops who they use for their "spot" price, what their "premium" is above that spot price (per ounce), AND how much they deduct from the spot price when you go to sell your bullion.
    If your city is large enough, you may find more than one or two suppliers. So it advisable to ask around what the prices are at the various stores.
    Last edited by JTHunter; 02-28-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

JM Bullion has free shipping for orders over 99. Beautiful Krugerands and Walking Liberty's are less than 20.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Just picked up a 1955 plain wheat penny at the coffee store this morning. Someone pitched it in the "give a penny, take a penny" cup at the register.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 Hobe Sound AK's Avatar

Thumbs up

Not to get off the Penneys, but!, How is the Value of the 1972 Eisenhower Silver Dollars? I have always loved that Coin. With the Apollo 11 Patch on the back of it. Eisenhower, was my first President.(1956) I still remember him fondly as the Man who lead us to Victory! on Sunday the 6th of June, so very Long ago! Paul
    Honored Nephew, of RM2. Robert E. Truitt, CA-35, U.S.S. Indianapolis, 30-July, 1945.

In Loving Memory of CW4. Paul E. Truitt 22-September, 1929, 23-February, 2018.

In Loving Memory of Montell W. Truitt 8 March, 1933, 3 June, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I have some 40% silver half dollars I’ll sell at spot plus shipping if you are interested.
    Thanks but I'm more interested in buying bars.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Try www.jmbullion.com or www.providentmetals.com.

I've dealt with both of them and they are great companies to order from.
    Thanks, I got a hold of JM, they don't have any way to set up monthly account so I guess I'm just gonna have to make an effort to buy every month the hard way.

Lol. It ain't that hard Bro. They can keep your info, and it takes all of a minute and a half to order.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Lol. It ain't that hard Bro. They can keep your info, and it takes all of a minute and a half to order.
    I'd rather have it automatic, I have too much on my plate every month to remember. Just bought my first 10 one ounce bars though. A little spendy even paying by check, about $2 over spot with JM. I guess with the free shipping, It knocks it down to $1.75 over spot.

So far I have a few Prospector 1 oz bars, a couple Krugerands, a few Maple Leafs, and a few Walking Liberty's. My next order will put me over two pounds. That's pretty modest, but not a bad start.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast