Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone still find pre '65 coins in circulation?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    So far I have a few Prospector 1 oz bars, a couple Krugerands, a few Maple Leafs, and a few Walking Liberty's. My next order will put me over two pounds. That's pretty modest, but not a bad start.
    Golds out of reach for me but nice if you can. Mainly Stock Market, ETF trading particulary, but been wanting to hoard Silver for a long time, have plenty of lead stocked away.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Golds out of reach for me but nice if you can. Mainly Stock Market, ETF trading particulary, but been wanting to hoard Silver for a long time, have plenty of lead stocked away.
    Most of what I buy, in gold, is in .10 oz. rounds. I can afford to buy gold that way. It may cost a little more than larger denominations, but it's still gold, and after a while, it does add up.

And, if ever needed, it's all ready to "spend" without having to cut a larger piece down....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Guns Network Contributor 01/2015 Altarboy's Avatar

Oh my Krugers are silver. No big gold purchases for this truck driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Altarboy View Post
    Oh my Krugers are silver. No big gold purchases for this truck driver.
    I thought you were talking Gold 1oz Krugers! LOL Internet, the best place to misunderstand. Me too Professional wheel holder for way way too long.

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Most of what I buy, in gold, is in .10 oz. rounds. I can afford to buy gold that way. It may cost a little more than larger denominations, but it's still gold, and after a while, it does add up.

And, if ever needed, it's all ready to "spend" without having to cut a larger piece down....
    Not a bad idea, I didn't even peruse the gold section till you mentioned it now.

Guns Network Contributor 11/2011 insider's Avatar

I got a silver quarter in my change last May, and once in a blue moon I'll get a silver dime, or dateless Buffalo Nickel. Haven't seen any wheat pennies in a long long time.
    I sold all my guns and ammo, now I live the quiet retired life.

In shtf, bars of silver and gold coins will be great for buying up entire city blocks and farms and factories but perhaps not so great for buying a loaf of bread, make sure you can make change.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    In shtf, bars of silver and gold coins will be great for buying up entire city blocks and farms and factories but perhaps not so great for buying a loaf of bread, make sure you can make change.
    This very reason, as well as Chinese fakes of Morgans, ASE's, silver bars, etc., is why I choose junk silver, dimes, quarters and halves.
    Last edited by Viking350; 03-06-2019 at 01:33 PM.

FYI - according to Monex ( https://www.monex.com/liveprices/ ), the gold coins I bought a couple of years ago - Canadian Maple Leafs - had a Bid price of $1299.10 and an Ask price of $1320.10 as of this time (10:25 pm CT). The Krugerrand Bid/Ask prices were $1286.20 & $1326.60.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

True, but lead will be worth more......

When you are shopping for silver, check this site out.

https://comparesilverprices.com

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    This very reason, as well as Chinese fakes of Morgans, ASE's, silver bars, etc., is why I choose junk silver, dimes, quarters and halves.
    You know that's interesting, how do you test or have some place test them?

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    Exactly, and if you come across any fakes, keep them so you can show what a fake looks like.

I have a fake coin I never noticed before, took the lot to a local coin shop, he picked it out immediately and wanted to buy it from me, showing me the case he keeps all the counterfeits in, and he had a lot of them. I take that fake and two real ones from the same era and show them to people, asking them to pick out the fake, they have so far not picked out the counterfeit, you have to weigh all the coins to determine wich is fake, the fake one is a few tenths ounces heavier. You can also drop them on a hard surface, the silver coins ring, the fakes thunk like the clad coins we use today.
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 03-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

You know that's interesting, how do you test or have some place test them?
    The simplest way, tho not absolute, is put a magnet on it. If it sticks it is fake. Also, weighing like 5.56 says. There is a Sigma tester that is more accurate. Most coin shops have one and usually will test your coins for you as long as your aren't bringing in too many. The Sigma tester costs around $600 so most collectors don't have one.

The fakes have gotten really bad on Ebay. You can buy the fakes from Wish.
    Last edited by Viking350; 03-09-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks Viking350 and so many others to name, why the site is still awesome after the crash.

Remember this isn't to profit from as in the stock market, but as shtf insurance. I mean you can profit from it if it goes high, sure, but if you view it as insurance you just might end up saving your kids and your kids kids with your prudence.

Remember this isn't to profit from as in the stock market, but as shtf insurance. I mean you can profit from it if it goes high, sure, but if you view it as insurance you just might end up saving your kids and your kids kids with your prudence.
    Just bought another 10 oz from JM. thanks guys. I got the @spot price one ounce rounds instead of bars this time, too bad it's only a one time deal.

All that being said, the bible has a passage that says in the end times things will be so bad that men will throw their gold and silver into the street. I assume this is after/during a global nuclear war but whatever, just something to keep in mind. Otherwise I look at metals as a cheap insurance policy, if the price goes down I don't care, if the price goes up, well I might be a bit better off than those who don't have metal. If the price never goes up....... great, that means water still comes out the tap, groceries still have food, people still have jobs, you get the idear.

Just bought another 10 oz from JM. thanks guys. I got the @spot price one ounce rounds instead of bars this time, too bad it's only a one time deal.
    1 Pat, almost every dealer has that one time at spot deal. Here is a page to help you know which do.

https://findbullionprices.com/buy-si...spot-deals.php

In 2018, central banks added nearly 23 million ounces of gold, up 74% from 2017. This is the highest annual purchase rate increase since 1971, and the second-highest rate in history. Russia was the biggest buyer. And not surprisingly, the lion’s share of gold is flowing into central banks of countries that are in the sights of America’s killing machine—the Military Industrial Complex that Eisenhower warned us about in 1958.
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...-becomes-money

I wonder where all this literal gold is coming from at the same time the price of gold barely rises?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast