Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Does anyone still find pre '65 coins in circulation?

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    I doubt that silver is worth enough for anyone to spend the time and material to make and silver plate a fake silver round.
    Maybe a 10oz bar or larger, but not 1oz pieces.

Do your due diligence and research companies on line. If they have a bad rep, you'll find out in an online review. Almost all major precious metal vendors will safeguard themselves and customers against fakes. It's their business on the line.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    I doubt that silver is worth enough for anyone to spend the time and material to make and silver plate a fake silver round.
    Maybe a 10oz bar or larger, but not 1oz pieces.

Do your due diligence and research companies on line. If they have a bad rep, you'll find out in an online review. Almost all major precious metal vendors will safeguard themselves and customers against fakes. It's their business on the line.
    That's kinda how I figure it, at least for Silver.

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Back to pre-65 coins, I picked up a 1941 penny a few days ago, and a 1940D penny this morning.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    How hard would it be to counterfeit a coin? It'd be about the same as a round wouldn't it? I just got the monument metals first buyer coins, how would I know they are any more real than rounds I bought elsewhere?
    I have an old counterfeit silver dollar with an late 1800s date. I take it and two real dollars and ask people to tell wich is the counterfeit, so far no one has picked the fake. The easiest way to determine if they're fake or not is to drop them on a hard surface (real silver coins ring, fakes thunjk like clad coins today do), or weigh them (fake is heavier in my case). I can determine a fake coin, but not a fake bar or round. I couldn't tell if a bar/round was silver or some other shiny metal. I also have a few books on hand that provide historical value, silver content, etc for US and foreign coins, everyone interested in silver should have similar books on hand.
    Last edited by 5.56NATO; 04-19-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    “The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
    -Thomas Jefferson

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2015 Nobeard's Avatar

Been awhile since I've gotten any pre-64 coins.
    Usually check my change and know what they sound like.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    If shtf I won't be trading in rounds or bars since I have no way of knowing if they're legit silver or not, or if they are, their content. For example, someone sold a mess of gold to China I think it was, and the bars were mostly zinc or some other metal with a layer of gold. With coins they're a known value.
    Heard something similar awhile back, except it was China that was producing counterfeit gold bars. Tungsten cores with a layer of gold around the outside so the size to weight ratio was correct.

There have been some counterfeit Morgan silver dollars going around the last few years. These are usually in excellent condition so they'll have the numismatic value collectors are after. There's a coin dealer at the Dallas area gun shows who let us know about this. He's got an electronic tester that will determine authenticity of gold or silver coins. Think it was made by Sigma Metalytics, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Anyone that's serious about getting into precious metals should get one. Web search shows they cost about 750$ which would pay for itself if it kept you away from one fake Krugerrand.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by Nobeard View Post
    Been awhile since I've gotten any pre-64 coins.
    Usually check my change and know what they sound like.

Heard something similar awhile back, except it was China that was producing counterfeit gold bars. Tungsten cores with a layer of gold around the outside so the size to weight ratio was correct.

There have been some counterfeit Morgan silver dollars going around the last few years. These are usually in excellent condition so they'll have the numismatic value collectors are after. There's a coin dealer at the Dallas area gun shows who let us know about this. He's got an electronic tester that will determine authenticity of gold or silver coins. Think it was made by Sigma Metalytics, but I'm not absolutely sure.

Anyone that's serious about getting into precious metals should get one. Web search shows they cost about 750$ which would pay for itself if it kept you away from one fake Krugerrand.
    Great info! Cost about $600 without wand, but even more with wands to test bullion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrHGqqr7v7c If I get deep into buying silver I might have to get one though!

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    How hard would it be to counterfeit a coin? It'd be about the same as a round wouldn't it? I just got the monument metals first buyer coins, how would I know they are any more real than rounds I bought elsewhere?
    The best way to check silver rounds is with the sigma tester. You can also do a specific gravity test but that is like calculus to me. If you know the specifications of the round you can check the weight, thickness and diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I don't "collect" so I don't buy coins with numismatic value. Numismatic value is derived from a loose combination of scarcity (mintage) and demand. There are mintage numbers known and published for all government minted coins. You have no idea how many generic rounds have been minted. While I do have a few generic rounds that I got from those spot deals from dealers, I have mostly junk silver bought from individuals. If you do buying on Ebay, enroll in their Ebay bucks. From time to time they send you an email offering between 8% and 10% Ebay bucks. Buying with that from the big dealers like Apmex and others will bring you very close to spot. Here is a link to a page that shows you what the cost is versus spot price if you key in what Ebay bucks percentage you are getting. https://findbullionprices.com/ebay-b...ver&discount=1
    I had one of those email offers of 8% EBay bucks so I bought the roll of quarters from Apmex. Very close to spot. That page I linked to in the quoted post said I was only $0.25 over spot.
    Last edited by Viking350; 04-24-2019 at 01:41 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345