Thread: Korean AK47 drum mag issues

Korean AK47 drum mag issues

Hey,

I looked through some of the threads earlier about the Korean drum mags for the AK47. Found some positive and negative feedback. I bought one a while back and finally got to try it this past Tuesday. It would go through about 4-5 rounds before it jammed. I would clear the jam, then the same thing would happen 4-5 rounds later. Have any of you had similar experiences? Is there anything that can be done to fix it? I would really hate to count it as a total loss and don't want to sell it to anyone if it doesn't work. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The onl KCI mags I have is a beta mag copy and that ran perfectly.

I would have to have it and shoot it and see HOW it’s jamming

BISHOP

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

They are basically a Chinese drum copy. I've run all my ChiCom drums with great success.

Are you getting three full turns winding it? The only times I've had Chinese drums fail to feed are when they are under wound.

What rifle are you using it in? Euro patterns sometimes have a problem with Chinese drums. If it is fitting loose in the mag well this could be a problem.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

I am doing three turns to get the tension up, then a bit more. Could it be I am over tightening it? I am using it on a Polish underfolder from CAI. This rifle has offered no problems on any magazine I feed it, ever. The mag fits tight in the well, hardly any jiggle.

This may be a bit late to the discussion but I have a Norinco AK with a milled receiver, not a stamped sheet metal one. I also have 4 - 40 rd. bananas and 2 - 75 rd. drums and all 6 are metal, no polymer/plastic parts. I don't know their brand or origin as they were bought at different times in the '90s.
    When I shoot the drums, I wind the crank until it doesn't go any more (I don't force it !) and the only time I fired one of the drums, I had no problems, even with the mixed ammo in it. By mixed I mean the green-cased milsurp in both FMJ & HP and some brass-cased PSPs. I also had to stop 3 times as the barrel was getting too hot and I didn't want to burn it out but I got about 20-25 rounds out rapidly, then had to wait about a minute before resuming the rapid fire test I was doing.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”