Thread: Windows 7 Updates

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Windows 7 Updates

FYI, I read that tomorrow is the deadline to get updates if you want to keep getting them thru Jan 14. Supposedly, if you miss this deadline then you won't get any more.
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

How are we supposed to sign up for them?
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Considering how many computers are still running 7 I would love to see someone stand up to Microsoft's bull and force them to continue servicing 7. I will have to dig it up but I believe I read that 40% of Windows based PCs are still running 7.

7 is the new xp.
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I use both exclusively 7 and XP. I haVe 10 on a dual boot with 7 but hardly ever use it. I hate it. I wouldn't have minded if they required a new payment for good upgrades to XP or 7. This designed obsolesce is getting on my nerves when it's not fully backward compatible. And don't tell me 7 is fully backward compatible with XP and 10 with 7, they're not. Compatibility mode doesn't work for plenty of the software I have and still use. Haven't gotten emulators to work half the time either and so much trouble to setup.
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 03-31-2019 at 08:05 AM.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Had no idea about the issue, thanks for the headsup. Making sure all mine are updated. Don't know why they needed to put a deadline in. Should have made the new algorithm and everything before it downloadable with the old algorithm and make future ones only available if you download the new one......
    Last edited by 1 Patriot-of-many; 03-31-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Had no idea about the issue, thanks for the headsup. Making sure all mine are updated. Don't know why they needed to put a deadline in. Should have made the new algorithm and everything before it downloadable with the old algorithm and make future ones only available if you download the new one......
    That is microscrew's way of letting you know that they are in charge. Sort of a computer 1984.

Great, in three days I'm getting a reconditioned PC with Win 7.

My buddy is an electrical engineer and said to get Win 7.
    He said 10 is a dog and 7 would continue to work for some years yet.

Weirdly, he built a new XP machine because a lot of engineering data was written under XP and won't work on a later OP system.
    The companies don't want to spend the money to rewrite old data systems even though everyone uses them today.

My feeling is that I will continue using my 7 filled PC and when it finally gives up, I have a feeling there will be an expensive Apple in my future.

I did some reading from Microsoft and they say that Win 7 will be fully supported until 2020 and will continue to receive security updates for some time.

I couldn't find anything about any deadline????

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

The last security update for Windows 7 is scheduled for 01-14-20.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/366610/st...te-is-critical

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    I use both exclusively 7 and XP. I haVe 10 on a dual boot with 7 but hardly ever use it. I hate it. I wouldn't have minded if they required a new payment for good upgrades to XP or 7. This designed obsolesce is getting on my nerves when it's not fully backward compatible. And don't tell me 7 is fully backward compatible with XP and 10 with 7, they're not. Compatibility mode doesn't work for plenty of the software I have and still use. Haven't gotten emulators to work half the time either and so much trouble to setup.
    Ditto !
    Between work and myself, I've used everything from 3.1 through 7. There is an old program called Cool Edit 96 that worked with 98 & XP that allowed me to record audio from my VCR so I could later (with a different program) burn it to a CD. Cool Edit also enabled me to "cut & paste" audio tracks, combine different tracks, either sequentially or concurrently, alter volume, etc.
    It doesn't work with 7.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    My feeling is that I will continue using my 7 filled PC and when it finally gives up, I have a feeling there will be an expensive Apple in my future.
    Screw MS !! Rather than go to the next MS boondoggle, I'll try Linux first !!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    I did some reading from Microsoft and they say that Win 7 will be fully supported until 2020 and will continue to receive security updates for some time.

I couldn't find anything about any deadline????
    https://www.pcworld.com/article/3341...his-patch.html
    Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

If you don't go to pcworld, it says that as long as you have auto updates enabled you are ok.