Thread: Range Report Colt 1911 and Ruger Super Redhawk

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Range Report Colt 1911 and Ruger Super Redhawk

Finally took my new Colt 1911 out for a test firing today. I have had it for over a year but work was taking a lot of my time, but I will post more about that soon. Part of the reason for going out today was because I was able to join the local range which makes shooting much more affordable.

Anyway, I put about 100 rounds of Winchester white box, 230 gr, FMJ through the Colt with no issues. The pistol shoots very well. Made me look like I knew what I was doing. The 3 white dot sights were much more user friendly than my Springfield's GI sight (though that should not be a surprise!). Very happy with that purchase.

Also took out my Ruger Redhawk. It is in .44 mag and I was shooting 230 gr, JSP ammo out of it. I only fired 12 rounds through it. Even though it has a 7.5" barrel it still had a healthy flip with fired. It took me a couple of rounds to stop flinching and when I did the gun showed itself to be pretty accurate. I need to practice with it some more. The front sight is a ramp with red capped by a stainless top while the rear sight is fully adjustable. The gun seemed to be shooting high, once I calmed down, so I probably need to adjust the rear sight slightly. Last time I shot a .44 mag (they were Ali's) the recoil hurt the webbing of my hand between my thumb and index finger. This gun did not do that, but each shot bounced the trigger guard off of my trigger finger, which was not comfortable. All in all, though, I am very happy with that purchase as well.

Now to sight in the red dot for my AR and the scope I bought for my .22!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Just curious, but do you hold the .44 with one hand wrapped around the grips, or do you grip it with both?

I found it's much easier to handle the recoil if you just hold the grips with one hand and cradle that hand in the palm of your other one. With the hand that's supporting the grip hand, I put my pointer finger under the trigger guard to steady, and aim, the gun. The recoil causes the gripping hand to move upward and back. The supporting hand follows the gripping hand in the recoil arc.

This allows the gun to follow a more "natural" recoil movement and doesn't jolt the rest of your arm. After the recoil movement ends, both hands are brought back down for another shot. It tends to smooth things out and allows for a quicker follow-up shot.

It sounds more complicated that it is, but it's the way that's easiest for me.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

That is how I used to support handguns, but I found it to be not very secure and slower to be ready for the next shot. I now place one hand around the grip and the supporting hand is over the top of the first. I will give it a shot though, for the more powerful round it may work better.

Do you do this for all handguns or just the .44?
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I use that grip on all my handguns. It works for me. I guess it’s a matter of what you get used to more than anything else.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars