Well, I have read the executive summaries of the Mueller report and some specific sections so I could understand what was in it. First, I think it is very interesting that President Trump did not invoke executive privilege during the investigation. As I read and skimmed through it a lot of what people will find questionable was in discussions about how to act. In the work I do we call this “sausage making” because sausage making is never pretty. Had Trump invoked executive privilege a lot of what people are concerned about, but did not actually happen, would not be an issue, only speculation. Now, to be sure, the discussions before Trump became president would not be included in executive privilege, but those after most definitely would have been.

I was interested in the findings about General Flynn and was disappointed in the information provided. The report provided the information on why General Flynn was charged with lying to the FBI but it did not include information, at least that I could find, as to why the FBI changed their mind. From other things I have read the FBI agents that interviewed Flynn knew of the inconsistencies in his answers but attributed them to memory lapses and to trying to prevent leaks of sensitive discussions, they did not feel he had lied to them. The decision to pursue these charges was made later, I would like to understand the rationale.

The discussion about obstruction was interesting. As I read the information and then the conclusion it seemed to me that Mueller and his team felt that Trump had obstructed justice but that they didn’t find conclusive evidence. For them to not make their decision based on the information they had is disappointing.