Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What kind of Load Bearing Vest do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by ready View Post
    That's a lot of freakin' bullets.
    Better to have and not need...Three of those mags were nothing but tracers, the other ten were regular 4 to 1 standad load.
    We will cut our enemies down in droves
    Our fires will be the substance of their nightmares
    The fields of the dead shall serve as evidence of our passing

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
    And I looked and behold, a pale horse
    And his name that sat on him was Death
    And Hell followed with him.

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post
    A combat vet told me years ago that water and ammo were the two things of which no soldier could ever carry enough.

Take all you can and then some more. When you need them the most they'll magically get lighter.

But then again, I've never been in the military and have no real experience.

Rage
    That is a very true statement rage....water and ammo, you can eat when your done. LOL!
    We will cut our enemies down in droves
    Our fires will be the substance of their nightmares
    The fields of the dead shall serve as evidence of our passing

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
    And I looked and behold, a pale horse
    And his name that sat on him was Death
    And Hell followed with him.

I think I might have to try some of this new Molle style gear out.

Did those of you who switched over to molle buy the entire kit, or just the vest and pieced it together to suit your individual needs?

Rage

I've spent so much money on gear over the years only to sell it because it turned out not to be what I wanted. I'd probably recommend that you get a molle vest that way you can save yourself the headache and make it exactly the way you want it. I would spend that majority of your money on getting a quality vest. Pouches, in my experience, don't have to cost 50 bucks to work. I've used some of the "cheaper" brands, Condor, Voodoo Tactical, etc., with good results.

swampdragon
    I think I might have to try some of this new Molle style gear out.

Did those of you who switched over to molle buy the entire kit, or just the vest and pieced it together to suit your individual needs?

Rage
    I set mine up piece by piece.
    I set mine up for an AK however.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
    My last outing to the cat box I never left the COP with less than 14 mags, along with every other gadget and doodad we had to carry. Now at home, in a SHTF scenario I would prolly go with 6-8 mags for my AR and a few for my pistol.
    That's how my "home" vest is set up right now too.
    4-pouches = 8 AK mags + 1 in the rifle.

4-pistol mags. 2 in a double pouch, 1-on the holster and 1 in the pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    That's how my "home" vest is set up right now too.
    4-pouches = 8 AK mags + 1 in the rifle.

4-pistol mags. 2 in a double pouch, 1-on the holster and 1 in the pistol.
    Well, they seem to come in all different types and sizes of kit.

If you get it all, including camelback, backpack, etc. Then we are talking major bucks.

OTOH, if you just buy the basic set up, you can find them for as low as 60-70 bucks.

Hell, one site had 2 sets for $100!

One thing that puzzles me about these "sets" of LBV w/ pouches is that they give you 3 double pouches and 3 single pouches. Why wouldn't they just give you 6 of each or the other?

I ask b/c I'd probably want to go with 6 doubles. Thought about doing the 2 sets for $100 gig and setting up two sets of gear, one light and one heavy. The light would go 6 mags, 2 canteens, 2 accessories pouches. The heavy would go 12 mags, a camelback, and 4-5 accessory pouches.

What's your thoughts?

Rage
    Last edited by American Rage; 07-26-2010 at 02:19 PM.

swampdragon
    Well, they seem to come in all different types and sizes of kit.

If you get it all, including camelback, backpack, etc. Then we are talking major bucks.

OTOH, if you just buy the basic set up, you can find them for as low as 60-70 bucks.

Hell, one site had 2 sets for $100!

One thing that puzzles me about these "sets" of LBV w/ pouches is that they give you 3 double pouches and 3 single pouches. Why would they just give you 6 of each or the other?

I ask b/c I'd probably want to go with 6 doubles. Thought about doing the 2 sets for $100 gig and setting up two sets of gear, one light and one heavy. The light would go 6 mags, 2 canteens, 2 accessories pouches. The heavy would go 12 mags, a camelback, and 4-5 accessory pouches.

What's your thoughts?

Rage
    My thoughts are only that the heavier you go, the more you will hate it in the long run.
    It really depends on what you think your mission will be...as well as the duration of it.
    I went with 8 mags because it kinda splits the difference.
    Everybody is different.

I figure if I find myself in a situation where I run through 8 mags, I'm probably already totally fucked anyways...
    Last edited by swampdragon; 07-26-2010 at 01:52 PM.

That's my thought. I carry 7 total rifle, 3 total pistol. If I go through that much ammo., it's time to consider a tactical retreat.

Thanks guys

Another question. These new Load Bearing Vest come packaged with a multitude of pouches. Am I correct in that the 3 mag "shingle" pouch is attached to the vest, and then other pouches (mag or grenade) are attached on top of the "shingle" pouch? If so, then the basic loadout would now seem to be 9 mags on the vest and 1 in the rifle. Can anyone confirm?

One more Q, is the molle buttpack as long/large as it seems?

Rage

swampdragon
    Thanks guys

Another question. These new Load Bearing Vest come packaged with a multitude of pouches. Am I correct in that the 3 mag "shingle" pouch is attached to the vest, and then other pouches (mag or grenade) are attached on top of the "shingle" pouch? If so, then the basic loadout would now seem to be 9 mags on the vest and 1 in the rifle. Can anyone confirm?

One more Q, is the molle buttpack as long/large as it seems?

Rage
    Shingle pouch holds 3.
    It attaches to the vest.
    Yes, you can mount pouches on it too.

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Shingle pouch holds 3.
    It attaches to the vest.
    Yes, you can mount pouches on it too.
    Are the vest padded at all? In some photos it looks like it. In other photos it doesn't.

Rage

swampdragon
    Are the vest padded at all? In some photos it looks like it. In other photos it doesn't.

Rage
    The belt is padded.

infidel.forever
    I've done some horse trading and bought a couple of these,

I'm in Australia and so its regular to "swap" gear when troops meet
    Attached Images Attached Images

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by infidel.forever View Post
    I've done some horse trading and bought a couple of these,

I'm in Australia and so its regular to "swap" gear when troops meet
    Welcome to the board.

What do you do with those ammo pouches?
    I thought you can't have guns in Australia?

infidel.forever
    Thy cut the heck out of what we could have thats correct but they did leave us with Bolt actions and light semi pistols ,

if you could pass background and police checks ( or a big campaign donator) you can get them

we have won some small rights back, some professional shooters can have semi auto rifles again , not many , but the way the wild animal control is causing all the issues here it'll grow

I have a Ruger semi auto on order

but for bug out times i'll find something to fill em with i'm sure
    Last edited by infidel.forever; 07-31-2010 at 02:46 AM.

swampdragon
    Thy cut the heck out of what we could have thats correct but they did leave us with Bolt actions and light semi pistols ,

if you could pass background and police checks ( or a big campaign donator) you can get them

we have won some small rights back, some professional shooters can have semi auto rifles again , not many , but the way the wild animal control is causing all the issues here it'll grow

I have a Ruger semi auto on order

but for bug out times i'll find something to fill em with i'm sure
    Well I hope you guys get your rights back one day.
    It's a sad thing to me.
    I wish you luck.
    Anything is better than nothing, but still...

You're a professional shooter?
    How are you getting the Ruger?
    Which Ruger are you getting?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just curious...
    Last edited by swampdragon; 07-31-2010 at 03:21 AM.

infidel.forever
    the gov set what type they could buy and you cant sell em you gotta sell em back to the gov

so i'm getting a mini 14 as thats 1 of 3 allowed and my choice for the job out of the 3 , also the cheapest

when working large animal culls for the government most are ex military weapons like L1A1's that the government supplies but the big culls dont work so its back to small possies of men doing what they can to cull off some of the billions of overpopulated critters we have here

swampdragon
    the gov set what type they could buy and you cant sell em you gotta sell em back to the gov

so i'm getting a mini 14 as thats 1 of 3 allowed and my choice for the job out of the 3 , also the cheapest

when working large animal culls for the government most are ex military weapons like L1A1's that the government supplies but the big culls dont work so its back to small possies of men doing what they can to cull off some of the billions of overpopulated critters we have here
    Ah.
    Now I get it.

infidel.forever
    but this being the survival forum, i posted what i'd use for survival/Bug out purposes.

I cross country hunt and hike , nice to be retired with a pension

for that i use a very different rig, i have a old style alice frame with a home made pack and a webbed vest with regular style belt pouches and water bottles bum pack etc

i've yet to play with the new ones yet i'll probaby replace a coupe of the mag pouches with basic style pouches for small gear items and have a collecting pouch for field stripping foods as i travel

just grabbing a hand full of berries or grains every so often add's up to a full meal in a lot less than a day and it all counts

food and water ( and keeping out of sight) in a survival /bugout scenario are most important to me

i'd have a weapon of some type be it rifle or flintlock at home, i just need to get a couple hundred miles through bush to a stash, and i'm sweet for the duration

i dont have rig's for everything, you can only plan for so much , and not being allowed "assault" rifle 's , well you make do with what ya got or can make in SHTF times

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast