Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What kind of Load Bearing Vest do you have?

Team Gunsnet Silver 02/14 - Moderator recon's Avatar

Good site for lots of different vest's.
    http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/cat-chest-rigs_all.cfm
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Original Member-July-1999!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014 sevlex's Avatar

I nabbed one of these when SPG had them in stock:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=680051

Telling the truth is treason in an empire of lies.

WWG1WGA

Nothing good ever comes from a pinched sphincter

For those of you with the FLC, have you worn it with a pack on? Will it work with something like a 72hr pack? Is it comfortable enough for hiking with it?

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post
    For those of you with the FLC, have you worn it with a pack on? Will it work with something like a 72hr pack? Is it comfortable enough for hiking with it?
    Ummmm...yes....lol
    I wore mine with a pack for years.
    The military type versions don't have a bunch of straps or buckles or anything on the shoulders at all.
    This is on purpose.
    It allows you to put on a pack, even with big nice padded shoulder straps, and not have buckles and other crap being pressed and shoved into your shoulders underneath it.
    Works pretty good.
    Be wary of vests with buckles and straps on the shoulders regardless of what you choose...(if you intend on carrying a pack)

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    Ummmm...yes....lol
    I wore mine with a pack for years.
    The military type versions don't have a bunch of straps or buckles or anything on the shoulders at all.
    This is on purpose.
    It allows you to put on a pack, even with big nice padded shoulder straps, and not have buckles and other crap being pressed and shoved into your shoulders underneath it.
    Works pretty good.
    Be wary of vests with buckles and straps on the shoulders regardless of what you choose...(if you intend on carrying a pack)
    That's what I figured. The shoulders looked great to me, but I wasn't sure about the belt area. My pack has a belt on it as well, and I didn't know if they interfered with each other. My pack is the Rush 72 from 5.11 if that helps.

On these deals you guys are finding for 2 of them for $100. It looked like they were preset up with some pouches. Do they fit AK mags ok, or am I better off buying AK Specific pouches? I've never used this type of system before and have usually just used either an East German or a Polish Mag pouch on a sling. This is all new to me and I'd like to not buy things I later find out don't work for me.

swampdragon
    That's what I figured. The shoulders looked great to me, but I wasn't sure about the belt area. My pack has a belt on it as well, and I didn't know if they interfered with each other. My pack is the Rush 72 from 5.11 if that helps.

On these deals you guys are finding for 2 of them for $100. It looked like they were preset up with some pouches. Do they fit AK mags ok, or am I better off buying AK Specific pouches? I've never used this type of system before and have usually just used either an East German or a Polish Mag pouch on a sling. This is all new to me and I'd like to not buy things I later find out don't work for me.
    The "kit" vests are for M4/M16s.
    For an AK, you are better off to buy an empty vest and get AK specific pouches.

The "kit" vests are for M4/M16s.
    For an AK, you are better off to buy an empty vest and get AK specific pouches.
    Thanks, I like saving money.

I use the enhanced load bearing vest, and I also have an 1980's issue Alice pistol belt and H-harness setup with mag pouches, holster, and fanny pack. I have a TacForce Molle vest, and frankly, I hate it. It's very utilitarian with it's modularity and all that crap, but it is hot and uncomfortable to wear. If you had to wear a nylon "blanket" that covered most of your torso while you ran, crouched, and then ran a little more in summer heat, you might appreciate obsolete load bearing technologies a little more.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Scary View Post

I use the enhanced load bearing vest, and I also have an 1980's issue Alice pistol belt and H-harness setup with mag pouches, holster, and fanny pack. I have a TacForce Molle vest, and frankly, I hate it. It's very utilitarian with it's modularity and all that crap, but it is hot and uncomfortable to wear. If you had to wear a nylon "blanket" that covered most of your torso while you ran, crouched, and then ran a little more in summer heat, you might appreciate obsolete load bearing technologies a little more.
    LOL....

I had one of those for several years actually.
    They were issued to us.
    We had a choice of either those, or a standard pistol belt and suspenders.
    The snaps on the ammo pouches used to come off.
    I had to DX 2 or 3 of those.
    Usually when you were soaked and wet, that's when the snaps would pull out.
    When dry, I never had a problem with them.
    It was weird.

swampdragon
    Thanks, I like saving money.
    My 2 favorite AK specific pouches are the Tactical Tailor and the Blackhawk STRIKE pouches.
    They are totally different from each other though, so it just depends on what you want.

The STRIKE pouches are much faster to pull mags out of while reloading.
    But the TT pouches are super secure (but way slower) and you never have to worry about losing your mags....like almost never!
    You'll find something you like I'm sure regardless.
    There are a lot choices out there for MOLLE gear.

My only advice is to stay away from snaps.

My 2 favorite AK specific pouches are the Tactical Tailor and the Blackhawk STRIKE pouches.
    They are totally different from each other though, so it just depends on what you want.

The STRIKE pouches are much faster to pull mags out of while reloading.
    But the TT pouches are super secure (but way slower) and you never have to worry about losing your mags....like almost never!
    You'll find something you like I'm sure regardless.
    There are a lot choices out there for MOLLE gear.

My only advice is to stay away from snaps.
    By snaps, are you talking about the metal button type snaps? Yeah I hate those. I've never had them stay closed, and they always pop at the wrong damn times. Like when you are leaning out of a tree stand and drawing back on your bow... Deer hear them really well and then run the wrong way...

swampdragon
    By snaps, are you talking about the metal button type snaps? Yeah I hate those. I've never had them stay closed, and they always pop at the wrong damn times. Like when you are leaning out of a tree stand and drawing back on your bow... Deer hear them really well and then run the wrong way...
    Yes.
    The round snaps like in this pic.
    They are really nice when they are BRAND NEW, but they wear out, get bent out of shape, pull out, and all sorts of things once they've been used for a while.
    Avoid these if you can.

Yeah, that was already in my thought process. Those types always piss me off eventually.
    I was able to find a New FLC on Ebay for $10, so that will be a start for me.

swampdragon
    Yeah, that was already in my thought process. Those types always piss me off eventually.
    I was able to find a New FLC on Ebay for $10, so that will be a start for me.
    Cool.
    What did you get?

Cool.
    What did you get?
    The FLC II that we've been talking about. I saw one for $10 and figured might as well get started with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sevlex View Post
    I nabbed one of these when SPG had them in stock:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=680051

Looks like there getting these in again on mar.14.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

Uncle Scary/Swampdragon: This is no shit. Plus, going prone or crawling with torso-mounted pouches is a real bitch and damages shit you might need to live/work in the coming days/hours. Never a problem if your web gear was set up right, or you popped your pistol belt open...

Then again, I don't know how much folks go prone or crawl anymore. Which controller button combo is that on "Black Ops" or "Modern Warfare" anyway?

That said, the current "FLC" vest/harness is pretty flexible in set-up and fits over body armor. Chest rigs and vests work OK getting in and out of vehicles and in MOUT.

The nice thing about those LBVs is that you could adjust the pouches low and to the outside... Wish I'd have held on to mine, but figured I ought to keep up with the jonseses.

BDG
    Last edited by BigDumbGerman; 03-03-2011 at 01:29 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345