Thread: North to resign as NRA president

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Post North to resign as NRA president

https://www.foxnews.com/us/nra-presi...n-rights-group

Even though I’m a member I don’t keep up with much with regards to the inner workings at the NRA and have no idea if North is worth a shit or not but I’ve thought for years La Pierre should go. He’s been there a long time and something about his actions has always rubbed me the wrong way.

The NRA was never a gun rights group to begin with. AFAIK it wasn’t until they formed the NRA-ILA in 1975 that they got actively involved in lobbying for gun rights. Personally I’ve never thought they did as good a job at it as other organizations where the support of our gun rights is their sole mission.

I’ve always thought that 5,000,000 members is awfully low considering how many gun owners there are but if it was 50,000,000 I still don’t think they would be as effective as possible unless that was their only focus.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-27-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

The NRA was formed after the Civil War by Union officers to attempt to improve the shooting skills of men and boys who would be called for another war.
    The NRA was America's first Civil Rights group who tried to protect the right of southern blacks to own guns to fight off the KKK.

It remained a shooting and hunting organization until the gun control acts of the 1960's and we realized that we either got involved in politics or the 2nd Amendment was going to become nothing but a memory.
    THAT's when the NRA started fighting the gun banners. The ILA was formed years later to make it an official part of the NRA's job.

The NRA has done an excellent job of keeping the anti-gunners in at least partial check, and have stopped some really bad gun control laws from passing. For this they get little credit.
    All people want to talk about are the minor gun rights groups who you never hear a word about actually fighting some gun law proposal.
    About all they do is run the NRA down and stump for money. What they actually DO with the money is questionable.

Politics is not a clean game, and it requires steady attention to small details to keep up.
    I think the leadership has drifted off target when they started spending money on things like fighting illegal immigration and other very side issues not directly related to stopping gun control and protecting the 2nd.
    They've been spending too much money on TV ads not related to gun laws, and there are questions about La Pierre's activities with the NRA money.

People complain about the NRA "Selling us out" when as recently they didn't fight the bump stock ban.
    People just don't understand that politics is a deal making proposition.
    You can fight to the finish to protect a novelty toy few people ever heard of much less owned, OR you can have the gun banners trying to confiscate AR-15 rifles...... Your choice.... choose ONE.
    Politics is a dirty business and you either play the game as-is or you loose.
    The NRA has by necessity made some deals with the devil, but if not for them we'd have had our guns registered and confiscated back in the 70's and we'd be on these forums discussing the best loads for our flintlock muskets, IF they even allowed gun forums to exist.

NO other gun rights group has had or does have anywhere near the impact and effectiveness of the NRA.
    I tell people to judge this the following way....
    Go out on the street and stop the first person you see.
    Ask them about the "gun lobby".
    99% of the time they'll respond..."You mean the NRA"?
    They will have never heard of any other gun rights group, and would probably be surprised there even are other groups.

As for only having only 5,000,000 members, you can't force people to join.
    Most gun owners only care about their sport or their guns and don't bother to spend the money to join. They're quite content to let other people spend the money to support their constitutional right and many don't think they'd be affected by anti-gun laws.
    You may call them "Fudd's" but many are not, they just aren't concerned about some rumor of some gun law that they think they'll never have to deal with.

It never ceases to amaze and piss me off that some politician will talk about gun control and there'll be a buying panic when people will spend outrageous amounts of money for guns and ammo, but won't spend a few bucks to join the only effective gun rights group in America....the NRA.

I became a NRA Life Member back in the 70's. I was poor and had to use one of the payment plans to make it, but I did.
    Funny thing, I don't even remember how much it cost, and I sure don't miss the money, but I still own guns.

I completely agree. The NRA is the biggest pro-gun resource we have. I just wonder how much more effective they could be in that regard if it was their only purpose?

I’ve also read plenty of ads by the other gun lobby groups and would agree they tend to disparage the NRA as a recruitment strategy for new members rather than tout their own achievements.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    They would be more pro-gun if their leaders didn't cave in on things like bump-stocks and red-flag laws.

Just found out that Indiana passed protection against red-flag, that even though it is on the books there better be a good reason for firearm confiscation or the accuser will face legal issues. We also just got protection against being sued for lawful use of a firearm.

I don’t see where they caved on the bump stocks. Isn’t the ban an EO from President Trump? In order to cave the NRA must have had a bargain position in the first place, what was it?

Should they have mounted an attack campaign against Trump? Did they “cave in” or they they just not have a path to victory? I’m more inclined to put the blame on the President for what he did than what the NRA didn’t do.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

My understanding is the NRA didn't stand up and say NO to the bump-stock ban when it was first proposed. They just came out and said OK. Sorry, but we have argued this before and I believe a ban on anything to do with arms is a violation of the second amendment. Yes Trump did say he was for a ban and pushed ATF to adopt one. Not sure if it was a proper written EO or just his verbal statement.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    My understanding is the NRA didn't stand up and say NO to the bump-stock ban when it was first proposed. They just came out and said OK. Sorry, but we have argued this before and I believe a ban on anything to do with arms is a violation of the second amendment. Yes Trump did say he was for a ban and pushed ATF to adopt one. Not sure if it was a proper written EO or just his verbal statement.
    I’d still put the majority of the blame on Trump. If the NRA did stand up and say no would that have made any difference knowing President Trump? If they are going to get on the wrong side of the POTUS was this the issue to do that over?

It doesn’t look like there was an EO. The ATFE re-evaluated the regulations and decided to change the regulation which is what President Trump wanted. Pretty much the same with Bush and the 89 import ban. I blame Bush for that fuckup not the NRA
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 04-28-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    I’d still put the majority of the blame on Trump. If the NRA did stand up and say no would that have made any difference knowing President Trump? If they are going to get on the wrong side of the POTUS was this the issue to do that over?

It doesn’t look like there was an EO. The ATFE re-evaluated the regulations and decided to change the regulation which is what President Trump wanted. Pretty much the same with Bush and the 89 import ban. I blame Bush for that fuckup not the NRA
    Agree.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

All it would take is one call from the president to the ATF head with the NRA pushing back, knock the shit off. If they can reinterpret what a machinegun is to suddenly being the trigger reset after every round fired, NOTHING IS OFF THE TABLE IN THE FUTURE. The NRA didn't push back at all. Seriously starting to wonder at this point why I should keep renewing. I'm smelling a rat here and I don't think it's north either.

It appears to be what happens to most institutions..... Mission creep.
    An organization starts out with a specific task then tends to drift into other, non related things.

Remember when the Weather Channel gave the weather continually?
    Now it's about things often not really related.
    MTV used to show music videos.
    Now they're into "alternative lifestyles" reality shows.

I think the NRA has started getting into mission creep about cultural issues not related to the 2nd Amendment.

People may not like everything the NRA does, but it's the only horse in town.
    NO ONE likes EVERYTHING about a politician or an organization but you go with what ya got.
    The NRA is the most effective gun rights organization there has ever been. If you want to keep your rights and your guns you better back them.
    Don't like something, become a Life member and VOTE in the NRA elections for people who you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    It appears to be what happens to most institutions..... Mission creep.
    An organization starts out with a specific task then tends to drift into other, non related things.

Remember when the Weather Channel gave the weather continually?
    Now it's about things often not really related.
    MTV used to show music videos.
    Now they're into "alternative lifestyles" reality shows.

I think the NRA has started getting into mission creep about cultural issues not related to the 2nd Amendment.

People may not like everything the NRA does, but it's the only horse in town.
    NO ONE likes EVERYTHING about a politician or an organization but you go with what ya got.
    The NRA is the most effective gun rights organization there has ever been. If you want to keep your rights and your guns you better back them.
    Don't like something, become a Life member and VOTE in the NRA elections for people who you do like.
    You don’t have to be a life member to vote. Any member with five years of consecutive membership can vote and should be getting a ballot. Mine comes inside my American Rifleman before each election.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Richard - from the articles I have seen, North didn't "resign" but was not "renominated" to be re-elected to the presidential position. I wasn't happy with him in the first place because of his history with the Iran-
    Contra fiasco. Yes, he was "acquitted" but he is still tainted as far as I am concerned.
    LaPierre's bunch and their incessant fear-mongering requests for money have left me shaking my head in disbelief and disgust. Their vested interest in concealed carry (CC) instead of "Constitutional" carry does not please me either. I know they have a vested interest in CC because of the products they sell but that is another sore point. Then, their lack of fight over the "red flag" garbage really ticks me off.
    Over the last 20-25 years, I have gone from annual to Life and now to Endowment but my disillusionment (and tight finances) have kept me from upgrading further. Part of that reasoning is that I was a Life member of the North American Hunting Club for many years - until they folded and quit printing their magazine several years ago. That anxiety is another reason I am hesitant to upgrade. Not counting the several years of annual dues before I upgraded to Life, I have invested well over $1K in the NRA just in the upgrades. There have also been "some" additional contributions to the ILA over the years but not on a regular basis.
    I also remember the fight many years ago between Knox and LaPierre and their respective groups and the contentious nature of some of the information disseminated by BOTH sides.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    I'm curious; those who say they were not happy with Oliver North's selection as president of the NRA because of his involvement in the Iran-Contra affair....what do you concider his involment to be exactly? Do you concider him to be the ring leader, the main instigator, or what?
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Fuck the NRA and Bumpstocks too. Who needs either one. Davey Crockett never owned one or Sgt. Alvin York. Just saying. Ollie North should of had his ass sent to Leavenworth. People who did less got sent there. On a final note, I want to get in a 69 with Snowbird Brown.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    Fuck the NRA and Bumpstocks too. Who needs either one. Davey Crockett never owned one or Sgt. Alvin York. Just saying. Ollie North should of had his ass sent to Leavenworth. People who did less got sent there. On a final note, I want to get in a 69 with Snowbird Brown.
    Tell me exactly, what is your understanding of what North did to get thrown in Leavenworth. I'm curious what people know/remember from back then
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

https://m.facebook.com/1303869778/po...15&v=i&sfns=mo

This is an open letter from a former NRA employee, Andy Lander, to the NRA board of directors.
    Apparently, facebook will not let my phone copy any of the content to post here, but it is a good read for those who still retain an attention span.
    Last edited by N/A; 04-29-2019 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N/A View Post
    https://m.facebook.com/1303869778/po...15&v=i&sfns=mo

This is an open letter from a former NRA employee, Andy Lander, to the NRA board of directors.
    Apparently, facebook will not let my phone copy any of the content to post here, but it is a good read for those who still retain an attention span.
    Read every word. Thank you for the link.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

North is tainted because of cog, fema, garden plot, and cable splicer, as well as being a bush lackey. That being said, if the guy who looks like a hamster stole a hundred thousand from nra he should get booted.

https://www.sourcewatch.org/index.ph..._Cable_Splicer
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Garden_Plot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_84
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Wayne LaPierre Re-Elected NRA CEO, Survives Power Struggle

https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/nr.../29/id/913813/

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.