Thread: The Bill Of Rights by Akhil Reed Amar

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

The Bill Of Rights by Akhil Reed Amar

Just finished “The Bill of Rights” by Professor Akhil Reed Amar and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The book traces the origin of the Bill of Rights from its beginnings during the writing and ratifying of the Constitution to how it was changed after the Civil War by way of the 14th Amendment.

Professor Amar writes in a very engaging style making relatively complex topics easy to understand. What I like best is his even handedness. By his own admission he does not support gun ownership and wishes that we could do something about the Second Amendment. After stating this he then goes on to say that the Constitution is pretty clear when it says the “right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed”. It is his ability to rise above his prejudices to deliver balanced exposition that makes his writing so good.

While this book is good by itself, I strongly recommend reading it after reading his book, “America’s Constitution: A Biography”. Reading both these books gives a great foundation for understanding our Constitution and how the 26 amendments have changed and modified it so that it is not a stale, 200+ year old document with no basis in modern thought but a vibrant and relevant document that is still our best hope for reigning in government overreach and protecting our natural rights.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Nice to hear someone who can rise above personal feelings and deal with the law as written.

Assuming the Constitution is maintained as the supreme law of the land, and no reason to think it won't, our government has gotten so out of hand that nothing less than a peaceful upheaval will bring it back to we the people.

As a child of a WWII vet, and a grand child of a WWI vet, I never dreamed we would get a government that would tell us how much water a toilet could use, what type of light bulbs we can use, etc, etc, etc. An article on TV this past week talked about the number of laws getting so bad that everybody at some time every day violates some statute. Pretty sad.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Nice to hear someone who can rise above personal feelings and deal with the law as written.

Assuming the Constitution is maintained as the supreme law of the land, and no reason to think it won't, our government has gotten so out of hand that nothing less than a peaceful upheaval will bring it back to we the people.

As a child of a WWII vet, and a grand child of a WWI vet, I never dreamed we would get a government that would tell us how much water a toilet could use, what type of light bulbs we can use, etc, etc, etc. An article on TV this past week talked about the number of laws getting so bad that everybody at some time every day violates some statute. Pretty sad.
    Check out your state's driving laws. The book is so thick, filled with so much crap, that you can't drive out of your driveway without breaking some driving law, somewhere. I learned this when I worked at a local resort police station years and years ago....I can imagine how much worse it has gotten since then.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

"Almost all of what [Trump] is saying is stupid," Akhil Reed Amar, a constitutional expert at Yale Law School, tells us. "Much of it is un-American. But some of it is constitutional."
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tutional-maybe

With a name like that I couldn't help bit to see if he was jihad
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 5.56NATO View Post
    "Almost all of what [Trump] is saying is stupid," Akhil Reed Amar, a constitutional expert at Yale Law School, tells us. "Much of it is un-American. But some of it is constitutional."
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...tutional-maybe

With a name like that I couldn't help bit to see if he was jihad
    He is definitely a liberal, but he does not let his liberal views cloud how he reads the Constitution. I think he would like to amend some of it, like getting rid of the Second Amendment, or at least restricting it, but he believes in following it and changing it via the processes spelled out in the Constitution, not via the courts.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member