Thread: Life without desktop...interesting.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.

Life without desktop...interesting.

So nice to be back typing on my desktop instead of trying to hit the tiny letters on my pocket computer (iPhone).

Last Friday I woke up to find the power light out on my PC. Pushed the start button and nothing. Pulled the power supply and found no output voltage. Did a check online (so nice to have a pocket computer) and found one for $12 shipped! Yeah right, but took a chance and ordered it. Installed this morning, pushed the button and life returned!

Lesson learned, glad I have everything backed up, but what good are remote hard drives if you can't access them? Nice that I was able to download enough apps to my "phone" to be able to continue life without PC. Very nice to find that it was just the power supply that died!

Also very nice that it was a $12 fix and not a new computer, although since I am using Windows 7 and Microscrew is telling me that I will go to he$$ if I don't buy a new computer with Windows 10, I wouldn't put it past them to download some Trojan to force the purchase of their latest money maker.

Nice on the repair. Do a memtest too mebbe. Also, I'm gonna try this with a build soon as I'm not interested in win10.
    https://reactos.org/
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

ReactOS looks interesting. Was seriously considering another OS that still allows the use of MS Office as I have a ton of office files.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    So nice to be back typing on my desktop instead of trying to hit the tiny letters on my pocket computer (iPhone).

Last Friday I woke up to find the power light out on my PC. Pushed the start button and nothing. Pulled the power supply and found no output voltage. Did a check online (so nice to have a pocket computer) and found one for $12 shipped! Yeah right, but took a chance and ordered it. Installed this morning, pushed the button and life returned!

Lesson learned, glad I have everything backed up, but what good are remote hard drives if you can't access them? Nice that I was able to download enough apps to my "phone" to be able to continue life without PC. Very nice to find that it was just the power supply that died!

Also very nice that it was a $12 fix and not a new computer, although since I am using Windows 7 and Microscrew is telling me that I will go to he$$ if I don't buy a new computer with Windows 10, I wouldn't put it past them to download some Trojan to force the purchase of their latest money maker.
    That's why I have 6 PC's in the house, with another two spares

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    That's why I have 6 PC's in the house, with another two spares
    You build them? Alot of the PC tower owners I know custom build theirs.

Shortly after Win. 10 came out, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) came out with a warning about a "clause" buried in the EULA. That clause stated that MS could remotely access your computer when you were online and without your knowledge and peruse your "My Documents" folder. They could take (copy) whatever they wanted, use it however they wish - as long as they remove the PII (Personally Identifiable Information). The problem is that it is impossible to completely "scrub" that info.
    If I have to let this Win. 7 computer retire (it was custom built for me several years ago), my next OS is likely to be some form of Linux.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Shortly after Win. 10 came out, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) came out with a warning about a "clause" buried in the EULA. That clause stated that MS could remotely access your computer when you were online and without your knowledge and peruse your "My Documents" folder. They could take (copy) whatever they wanted, use it however they wish - as long as they remove the PII (Personally Identifiable Information). The problem is that it is impossible to completely "scrub" that info.
    If I have to let this Win. 7 computer retire (it was custom built for me several years ago), my next OS is likely to be some form of Linux.

Agreed. Not only that but all new hardware has a backdoor built in, a paralel computing component that can access all memory, drives, and network, and is completely invisible to the pc user, and cannot be stopped.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/minix-...rating-system/
    https://www.eteknix.com/nsa-may-back...md-processors/
    "And how we burned in the camps later thinking, what would things have been like, if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain, whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family?"

Totally agree that the idea of a non-Windows replacement is high on the probability list. Linux has been around long enough to have proven itself. Tired of Microsoft being able to get into your personal computer without overt permission.

There was one older OS that it was suspected that MS purposely infected it causing massive slow down to force the owner to "upgrade". Never was able to prove it but is was very strange that after their drop-dead date, things slowed to a crawl.

Quote Originally Posted by tank_monkey View Post
    You build them? Alot of the PC tower owners I know custom build theirs.
    Yeah I started building them just after the 486chip. 586 and on. The last couple though I bought are HP workstations Z420 and Z620, threw GTX 1070 cards in them, they suffice for my gaming and support both win XP and 7 and 10. I hate win10. XP and 7 are the best operating systems of the bunch IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    I remember having arguments on the intel site about their clipperchip until they threw me off their site..... Probably more than we know buried in every CPU today.