Thread: Okay Krupski or other knowing people answer this please

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    You're missing the part that the wheels DO NOT move the plane. All they do is act as roller bearings to remove any friction the plane otherwise would have with the runway.

The thing that moves the plane is the thrust of the engines, whether in the air or on the run way.

Or look at it this way. If your car runs out of gas and you have to put it in neutral and push it off the highway, where does the power to move the car come from? You, are the power pushing the car.
    In a plane there is never any power to the wheels. The thrust is added to the whole plane, not the wheels. The wheels are just roller bearrings to allow the plane to move around on solid ground with greatly reduced friction. They work much better than trying to slide a 747 on its belly down the run way.

If you have a pair of roller skates sitting in the closet, they just sit there as nothing powers the wheels. Put them on and you become the power to move the skates.
    Climbed up on a regular treadmill and you can roller skate to your hearts content.

True, if you set the treadmill to match your normal speed of skating, you will remain stationary to your coach standing beside you, but if he reaches over and speeds it up, you get dumped off the back. If he slows it down you skate off the front.
    Try all that just scuffing your feet along the treadmill without skates. The skates are the roller bearings that removes the friction between you and the treadmill, nothing more. They have no more power on their own than the planes wheels do.

"But wait!", you reply, "you said that if the treadmill matched my speed, I would remain stationary?" Yes I did, but that is because you need something to push against to make yourself go forward on skates. That something is turning your feet sideways and using the friction of the skate wheels against the surface to push forward. Without that ability to push off, you couldn't skate.
    In this scenario, the treadmill works against how fast you can keep pushing off, or skating we call it.

In a plane, no work at all has to be applied to the wheels. All the work is applied to the plane and the wheels just free wheel down the treadmill. The same if you are on skates, just staying stationary with your coach and somebody comes along and gives you a push, a thrust that moves you up a little on the treadmill, even tho the turning of the treadmill and your skate wheels remained the same. To
    Last edited by N/A; 08-30-2019 at 08:27 PM.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR