Thread: Which revolver rto buy?

Which revolver rto buy?

IF the company I work for is still doing it I will be getting a (taxed) $1000 bonus for being with them foir 10 years.

I want to buy a new firearm. I have ben thinking about a pretty chrome or SS 6" barreled revolver, mainly looking at S&W.

But what caliber?? That's the question, and that is what I'm asking you.

BISHOP

Smith Wesson 686 .357 mag with 4 in barrel. Easy question

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

I'd say try a S&W Mod. 29, stainless or blue, with a 4"or 6" barrel. If you traverse the woods a lot and there are bears, etc., in your area, it'll make you feel safer.

If you're planning on hunting with it, a 6" barrel would be better.

If you don't like the recoil of a .44, you can shoot .44 Spl or load your own reduced loads.

A .45 Colt S&W would be another good choice. Factory loads don't recoil as much as a .44 Mag, but you can reload them hotter if you need to.

However, if you're mainly going to use it for target or plinking and you might want it as a CCW gun, then a 686 is a good choice. I wouldn't go any smaller than .357 Mag.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Good ideas. I am definately going 6" because I want something that when standing alone in a case or on the wall it will look impressive by itself.

Next year I am thinking aobut one of the new X95 in 7.62x51. Big caliber in a small package. I know 308 isn't HUGE but a battle rifle caliber in a bullpup should be fun.

BISHOP

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Smith Wesson 686 .357 mag with 4 in barrel. Easy question
    I have this in SS with the 6" barrel. One of my favorite, and most accurate, handguns. I highly recommend it.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I missed your interest in 6 in the first reading of your post 686 6in is a good looking gun, almost python esque with the full under lug without the python price

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    IF the company I work for is still doing it I will be getting a (taxed) $1000 bonus for being with them foir 10 years.
    I want to buy a new firearm. I have ben thinking about a pretty chrome or SS 6" barreled revolver, mainly looking at S&W.
    But what caliber?? That's the question, and that is what I'm asking you.
    BISHOP
    Bishop - What are the INTENDED use(s) of the gun? HD/SD, hunting, targets? All of these?
    Then go with a .44 Magnum.
    If you don't want to use it for hunting, stay with the .357 Magnum. Between these two calibers, I believe you will find a greater diversity of bullet weights and purposes than any other caliber. Also, they are more likely to be found in your LGS than other calibers. Even the .357 has more choices than the .44, but the .44 would be better for hunting (from the 6") or "bear protection" (4" or 6") than the .357.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Bishop - What are the INTENDED use(s) of the gun? HD/SD, hunting, targets? All of these?
    If you don't want to use it for hunting, stay with the .357 Magnum. Between these two calibers, I believe you will find a greater diversity of bullet weights and purposes than any other caliber. Also, they are more likely to be found in your LGS than other calibers. Even the .357 has more choices than the .44, but the .44 would be better for hunting (from the 6") or "bear protection" (4" or 6") than the .357.
    Yeah. It's better to be a little over-gunned than to be a little under-gunned no matter what the situation.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Yeah. It's better to be a little over-gunned than to be a little under-gunned no matter what the situation.
    629 classic in .44 mag. And its within your budget

Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

i was impressed with the colt king cobra at the nra convention in indy. around $900. i'm looking for a way to fund one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post

Seriously, just to have one... Its too big to carry, unless I'm camping or hiking. I'd just be shooting it at my steel targets a few times a year, but its imporessive as a stand alone gun on a wooden plaque on the wall.

We don't have problems with bears. Maine black bear is easily scared away by just yelling at it.

I'm liking the 686+ as its a 7 shot.
    Still not set on a caliber. Probably 44mag. Though I like the idea of 357mag because I can tone it down and shoot 38s too.

The more I search Gunbroker, the more I'm loving the 686+ in 7" 7 shot. It only comes in 357Mag. I think the 8" is too big, even for me where bigger is better.

BISHOP
    Last edited by BISHOP; 09-30-2019 at 03:10 PM.

.38 is cheap enough you can afford to buy 150 of them and plink away. Recoil is almost non existent in an L frame. You can always load up .357 mags for serious work. I have a 586 with 4 in barrel and love it. .44 mag is expensive as hell, yea you can shoot .44 special but have fun finding them and they aren't cheap

Quote Originally Posted by BISHOP View Post
    Seriously, just to have one... Its too big to carry, unless I'm camping or hiking. I'd just be shooting it at my steel targets a few times a year, but its imporessive as a stand alone gun on a wooden plaque on the wall.

We don't have problems with bears. Maine black bear is easily scared away by just yelling at it.

I'm liking the 686+ as its a 7 shot.
    Still not set on a caliber. Probably 44mag. Though I like the idea of 357mag because I can tone it down and shoot 38s too.

The more I search Gunbroker, the more I'm loving the 686+ in 7" 7 shot. It only comes in 357Mag. I think the 8" is too big, even for me where bigger is better.

BISHOP
    Good choice ! I have a Ruger GP-100 4" and it works quite well for me. I found it at a nearby pawn shop 7 years ago and while it was only a year old (according to serial #), it could have passed for new if it had the box.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    .38 is cheap enough you can afford to buy 150 of them and plink away. Recoil is almost non existent in an L frame. You can always load up .357 mags for serious work. I have a 586 with 4 in barrel and love it. .44 mag is expensive as hell, yea you can shoot .44 special but have fun finding them and they aren't cheap.
    Bishop - as Napots points out, if YOU reload, you can "soften the blow" with custom .44 Specials but the .38 Special & .357 have more choices, are easier to find, less expensive, and don't try to shatter your wrist..
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”