Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbits

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Rabbits

What gauge shotgun do you gentlemen prefer and what shot.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I use a 12g and used same shot as I use with doves.As a kid just my 10/22.
    Last edited by AKTexas; 01-09-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

I use a 12 gauge. 5 or 6 shot on rabbits. 7 1/2 or 8 on doves.

Rabbit hunting is much easier if there's snow on the ground, good dog helps too.
    Returns June 3rd.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

remington express in the yellow and green box, high brass 12ga, 6 shot.

use it for squirel, rabbit, phesant, and grouse. there are better sizes for some of those, but thats the best compromise without having to switch out all the time, imo

Team GunsNet Gold 03/2014

Cottontail rabbits, 12 ga. #6 shot. I have taken them with .22 rifle or pistol.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Savage single shot 22 rifle or S&W M41 22 pistol up till now. Never thought about using shotgun till this year but haven't gone out yet. Been thinking Great Grampa's old single shot 12 gauge and some #7 1/2 trap loads. Not moving as good as I used to and I think I could use the extra edge.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

I've always just used a .22 for rabbits so as not to tear up any meat.

22.250 Varget, topped with a 40gr Ballistic tip.
    If I weren't supposed to shoot guns, why did God give me trigger fingers?

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee!

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    12 ga. #6 shot works best on jack rabbits for me. I've taken them with center-fire rifles too.

Cotton tails? Never hunted them.

Hollow point wolf .223 can turn them inside out.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by btcave View Post

Hollow point wolf .223 can turn them inside out.
    Nothing like firing for effect!

There's a point in your life when you get tired of trying to fix everything and trying to make everyone happy. When you finally decide to quit, it's NOT giving up. It's realizing you don't need certain people and the bullshit they bring to your life.

Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post
    What kind of recipe do you have for rabbit hash?

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

16 Gauge with number 6's.

If I couldn't use a 16, I'd use a 20 with the same shot.

Rabbits are natures quitters. I've seen more than one killed by just a bb or 2.

the only time i went i used a single shot 410,dont remember shot size as it was 20+ years ago....they stink too much for me to skin em agaim

Quote Originally Posted by 63DH8 View Post
    So you like the pink mist huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Integratedj View Post
    So you like the pink mist huh?
    Spent eight years as an artillery mechanic. I like watching total destruction of targets.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    What kind of recipe do you have for rabbit hash?
    Running the rabbit over with a brushhog leaves bigger pieces. 22.250 leaves too small of pieces for hash.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Lightbulb

12 ga. 6's or 5's. 7-1/2 if you have no other choice but get closer, but not too close or you'll have Pâté de rabbit.

I found that 6's penetrated the meat and 7 1/2 went under the hide but didn't penetrate. I skin them and the shot falls out and just a few left to pick out of the meat with the tip of my knife. Shock must have done the killing and dead is dead.

Have to admit though that I still favor the 22, 40 years of shooting them that way has become a habit.

THUCYDIDES.

A few years back, my younger daughter raised rabbits. While doing a brake job, I noticed one bunny escaped. About that time, an apple fell off the tree next to my driveway and rolled next to my feet. Without thinking, I scooped up the apple and threw it at the rabbit. About the time I let loose with the apple, a thought entered my head, "I bet, against all odds, I'm going to hit that rabbit, it'll scream bloody murder, and there's going to be some old couple staring at me from the end of my driveway. Well, the apple did hit the bunny, but it fell over without a twitch! The moment I touched the bunny, it sat up and started screaming at the top of it's lungs! I looked back to the end of the driveway to notice two young ladies gawking at me like I just whipped it out and raped the rabbit. I felt like a committed a self fulled prophesy/atrocity!

btw.. normally, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn if I threw by hand!

First time I ever heard a rabbit scream I nearly wet my pants. My boxer had caught a jack rabbit, it got away, she caught it again, wrapped her big paws around it and licked it. Then the scream. My dog caught that rabbit 3 times before it finally got to its hole, it screamed twice. Glad I didn't have to hear it a 3rd time because I would have shot my dog to make her from catching that rabbit again. One thing about being in the middle of the desert was there weren't any witnesses.

THUCYDIDES.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast