Thread: I have seen Hell and it's name is Windows 10

Angry I have seen Hell and it's name is Windows 10

My daughter needed a laptop for college so I got her a nice Dell. It came with Windows 10 (something _I_ would never use, but she needs Win10 to be compatible with the school's software. And, it's not my computer, so my hands won't be too badly soiled with Microshit software (or so I thought).

So, laptop arrives and daddy goes to set it up for his princess.

OMG!!!! The damn "first run" setup software wanted my email address, my home address, my phone number, my age, gender, political choice (i.e. dim or republican), my race, a list of languages that I'm "fluent" in, my religon (if any) and of course a credit card number. A credit card??? WTF I already paid for the damn computer!

Of course I wanted to skip most of that crap... because it's none of their damn business and has nothing to do with a computer anyway.

Uh... nope. "Cortana" would have no part of that. THEN, additionally, it informed me that "activating" trial versions of Office 365 and McAfee virus-ware was also "required" (with credit card info of course). No problem though, I could "cancel at any time" by email or telephone. Yeah, right... after the cancellation request gets "lost" a few times and my card gets charged each month (THAT never seems to be overlooked). So THAT was what the CC was for..

Well, too damn bad for me because those fields were "required" and would not allow bypassing them.

OK fine, you want my email? It's "nobody@nowhere.com". Nope, that silicon bitch Cortana thinks that "nobody@nowhere.com" is not a real email address. Same with .net, .edu, .org and even .ch!

Fine, how about "h_8_you.microsoft.com"? Nope. Miss silicon bitch argued with me.

At this point, I'm wondering whether an AR-15 or a Remington 870 would be more likely to convince Cortana that my email addy is none of her or Microtrash's f--king buisness.

Still haven't figured out what to do about this... maybe erase the whole SSD and install a copy of Windows 7 "Ultimate" on it. I've only installed the same DVD on 4 or 5 computers. Microshit shouldn't mind..

Am I pissed right now? Yeah, just a bit....
    Gentlemen may prefer Blondes, but Real Men prefer Redheads!

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    What scares me is that my desktop is running Windows 7, which is a really good system, but in January Microscrew is going to stop supporting it. My take is that one of the last "updates" will drop a Trojan horse in my system so that is slows the system down, forcing me to "update" to 10 which is a system I want nothing to do with.

I can't believe they mandate all those questions with no way to say no. I also can't believe there isn't a class action suit against microtheft to force them to offer an accept or pass to those question.

Another issue is that I am happy with the mess called Office 2010 and don't want the greater mess of 365. As for McAfee, I get it free as part of my AT&T bundle.

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    What scares me is that my desktop is running Windows 7, which is a really good system, but in January Microscrew is going to stop supporting it. My take is that one of the last "updates" will drop a Trojan horse in my system so that is slows the system down, forcing me to "update" to 10 which is a system I want nothing to do with.

I can't believe they mandate all those questions with no way to say no. I also can't believe there isn't a class action suit against microtheft to force them to offer an accept or pass to those question.

Another issue is that I am happy with the mess called Office 2010 and don't want the greater mess of 365. As for McAfee, I get it free as part of my AT&T bundle.
    Frankly I would be surprised if MS didn't cripple Win 7 at the end of support date.

I have all internal switches turned off so there would be no updates.
    Of course it keeps updating, failing to load then uninstalls.

Last week my computer stopped working because of another secret upload. Files are still there but the computer is working it’s an X prompt and won’t recognize c:/ at all.
    Nothing I can do will bring it back. None of its internal restore systems work either.

Isn’t Windows grand!!!

BISHOP

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Agree my friend. I rarely use the 10 I have on one computer. Frankly XP was the best IMO and 7 is okay. I hate the designed obsolescence, If it came down to paying every 10 years to keep XP or 7 updated, I'd rather do that.

Shortly after 10 came out, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) came out with information that MS had buried in the EULA a section that said that MS had the right to come into your computer remotely, without your knowledge, without notifying you, and peruse your "My Documents" folder, take whatever they wanted to be used however they pleased - as long as they removed all the "personally identifiable information" from your files. Most of you probably know already that this statistically impossible to do.
    I am also using 7 and I'm already considering what my next OS will be. It will most likely be some version of Linux with Open Office to replace MS Office. I'm currently using Office 2000 that was previously loaded on my XP machine and now on this 7 machine. The one piece of software I will lose is the Photoshop 6 that I have been using since 2001. There are other programs out there like GIMP but I don't know much about it or how it compares to PS 6.

Krupski - good luck with your daughter's computer.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

Been thinking about biting the big one and going Apple. Tired of having microsoft threaten my personal computer with their covert systems.

Quote Originally Posted by JTHunter View Post
    Krupski - good luck with your daughter's computer.
    Thanks!

Been thinking about biting the big one and going Apple. Tired of having microsoft threaten my personal computer with their covert systems.
    I suggest giving Linux a try (specifically Debian). In the "old days" Linux was only for nerds who didn't mind having to compile any program they needed.

It's very mature now... and it has everything most people need (such as a full featured "Office" suite that's compatible with MS Office, etc..)

It will cost though... $0.00 plus tax

Most people don't realize that Linux runs almost everything. Android is Linux. MacOS in BSD (basically the same as Linux).

Most websites run a LAMP server (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP). Gunsnet server is Linux.

NASA uses Linux.

The only niche Windows has is the clueless home office users and corporate IT people who don't know any better.

Thanks for the heads up on Linux Debian. Looks like my next system if Micro screws my 7.

Thanks for the heads up on Linux Debian. Looks like my next system if Micro screws my 7.
    There is a "live disk" version of Linux available. You simply burn the image to a DVD (or copy it to a USB stick) and boot directly into it.

It doesn't touch your existing OS or install anything - it runs right off the DVD or USB stick.

You can run it and try anything you want safely. Then if you decide you like it, you can install right from the same DVD or USB.

Or, to ease the transition, setup a dual boot and boot up into Windows or Linux as desired.

When I first started with Linux, I dual booted. After a short while, I realized that I was not booting Windows anymore. So, bye-bye it went and good riddance - no more blue screens or bloatware.

Now when I have to help someone with a Windows problem, it takes a while to remember how do it.

Didn't take long for me to forget how to fix Windows...