Thread: Repeal Washington State Initiative 1639

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Repeal Washington State Initiative 1639

We need to repeal I-1639. Please take the time to find and sign a petition to repeal I-1639.

I-1639, while touted as a “common sense” step in the push for gun safety, has shown itself to be nothing more than a burden on law abiding citizens looking to own a firearm. Some of the changes in I-1639 that should cause us alarm (and remember, by Washington state law an initiative is supposed to address one change to a law not multiple changes as this one did):
    1. Defined all semi-automatic rifles as “assault weapons”. I recently acquired a semi-automatic .22 that was manufactured in 1940. It has a 10 round tubular magazine and it is classified as an “assault rifle”.

2. To purchase an “assault weapon” you have to give up your right to medical privacy for life. Medical privacy is the same thing used to push for legalizing abortion but to own a semi-automatic rifle made in 1940 I had to give mine up.

3. Adults aged 18-20 are prohibited from buying and owning “assault weapons”. This was pushed as “common sense” because the maturity level of young adults made their ability to understand that shooting people was wrong questionable. This was seen as “common sense” even though the large number of Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines aged 18-20 who stand guard armed and are serving armed in areas of conflict around the world do not engage in mass shootings.

4. I-1639 requires that local law enforcement departments conduct all background checks, use of the FBI’s instant background check system is not authorized. Prior to I-1639 Washingtonians who had a Concealed Pistol License (CPL) were allowed to be checked using the FBI’s instant background check system. To obtain a CPL requires an enhanced background check that includes fingerprints.

These are just some of the changes that were addressed in the text of I-1639. I would like to take a moment and address some of the consequences of passing this initiative that were not in the text.

Background checks are now required to be done by Police and Sheriff departments who staffs were not set up to take on the extra administrative burden of all background checks. This has resulted in background checks taking significantly longer than before I-1639 was passed.

Background checks are started by filling out an ATF Form 4473. The information on this form is only good for 30 days. If the background check is not completed within 30 days the background check must be started again. This is happening more and more frequently, because as discussed above, the staffing of law enforcement agencies in Washington did not take into account the extra added administrative burden of processing all background checks.

I-1639 requires a minimum 10 day waiting period from the start of a background check until the dealer is allowed to complete the transfer. If a background check is not completed within 30 days it has to be restarted which restarts the 10 day clock. This means that if the second filing of the background check paperwork comes back the same day the person buying the firearm has to wait another 10 days, or 40 days in all, before they can take possession of the firearm. I have recently had this happen to me.

While I-1639 was advertised as a way to make Washington residents safe from gun violence its real purpose was to make gun ownership harder for law abiding citizens. The end goal of make it so hard that people are discouraged from buying firearms. This violates both the US Constitution’s Second Amendment and Article 1, Section 24 of the Washington State Constitution which states “"[t]he right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired".

Please take the time to find and sign a petition to repeal I-1639.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

The problem is Washington has fallen. Once these laws are in place its over, they will never turn back without revolt.
    But did anyone in Oregon or Washington notice how its slowly gotten worse in the last 10 years?

Best bet is to get out!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

It appears that Washington is trying to outdo MD and is getting ahead of us now. MD isn't good, but it appears WA is well on the way to being worse.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    The problem is Washington has fallen. Once these laws are in place its over, they will never turn back without revolt.
    But did anyone in Oregon or Washington notice how its slowly gotten worse in the last 10 years?

Best bet is to get out!
    That is in the plans, but it is like giving up territory. We may well fail at getting this law repealed but there is a lot of anger over the unexpected or hidden consequences of this law, even among liberals. Remember, not all liberals hate guns and there are an awful lot of liberal leaning independents who see a need for firearms. Those people are unhappy that in order to buy a .22 semi-auto they have to sign away their right to privacy and they have to wait over 30 days to take possession. I think we have a chance to get this turned around in a real grassroots way, not the Bloomberg funded "grassroots" way.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    That is in the plans, but it is like giving up territory. We may well fail at getting this law repealed but there is a lot of anger over the unexpected or hidden consequences of this law, even among liberals. Remember, not all liberals hate guns and there are an awful lot of liberal leaning independents who see a need for firearms. Those people are unhappy that in order to buy a .22 semi-auto they have to sign away their right to privacy and they have to wait over 30 days to take possession. I think we have a chance to get this turned around in a real grassroots way, not the Bloomberg funded "grassroots" way.
    I remember hearing that exact sentence in California but in fact liberals will sell their souls to tow the party line.
    They complained a tad bit, then did what liberals do, that is let the government machine and popular media think for them.
    Good luck either way, its a cancer coming to all of us at some point I guess.