Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: Question about West Virginia

  1. #1
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,883

    Question about West Virginia

    Hi all,

    I've been "researching" different states looking for the right one for me.

    It seems to me that West Virginia fits my wants perfectly. I just got back from spending a week there and I loved every minute of it. Everyone seems relaxed, laid back, completely conservative and unbelievably polite. There are gun stores and churches everywhere, and people are not afraid to have "Trump 2020" stickers on their cars or Confederate flags on their hats. They correctly call the "Civil war" the "War of northern aggression". Once the people realized that I'm no "damn yankee" they opened up and treated me like I "belonged there".

    I had a completely 100% nice time there.

    So... are there any reasons NOT to consider WV as a place to live? Are there any areas to avoid? Any areas to recommend?

    I want something rural that is near (but not too near) stores, malls and such. I want a nice quiet area where I can leave my doors unlocked and not worry. And, although I don't want "slums", I also don't want an area with wealthy snobs and $million plus homes.

    A place with a few acres and a house with 2 or 3 bedrooms is really all we need.

    Advice will be appreciated!

    -- Roger

  2. #2
    Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    480
    had a girlfriend from west-by-god. country as four rows of okra. my cousin lived there for awhile. she liked it. haven't been myself, but wouldn't pass up a chance to visit. only fault i know of, state income tax. you seem to like it. that is in your favor. if your family is good with it, go for it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    600
    Do your research Krupski, meth and Oxycontin seem to be a problem for WVa. and everywhere else for that matter.

  4. #4
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,603
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    Do your research Krupski, meth and Oxycontin seem to be a problem for WVa. and everywhere else for that matter.
    WV doesn't hold the title for meth and Oxy use. Like you said, it's everywhere.

    I've been there fossil hunting and I liked everything I saw. Planning on going back in the hear future.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  5. #5
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,883
    Quote Originally Posted by kuntryboy View Post
    had a girlfriend from west-by-god. country as four rows of okra. my cousin lived there for awhile. she liked it. haven't been myself, but wouldn't pass up a chance to visit. only fault i know of, state income tax. you seem to like it. that is in your favor. if your family is good with it, go for it.
    WV taxes are nowhere the near criminal rates I pay here. I have a 6.5% property tax vs 0.59% for WV. Sales tax here is 8.875% vs 6% in WV. Income tax in our bracket is about 6.6% and WV is almost the same at 6.5%. Gasoline in WV (what I saw) was about 25 cents per gallon less than here.

    At every point I would save on taxes which by itself is a big plus.

  6. #6
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,883
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    Do your research Krupski, meth and Oxycontin seem to be a problem for WVa. and everywhere else for that matter.
    Dope is everywhere. WV rates rather poorly for opiate related overdose deaths, but I don't trust those numbers. Some kid decides that heroin is less expensive than a hydrocodone prescription, buys some fentanyl laced poison from "Hector the local dope dealer" and dies of an overdose then suddenly it's the doctors fault and "the opioid epidemic" is born. The news media loves it. Next thing you know people who NEED prescription pain killers are treated like dope addicts, doctors become unwilling to write anyone a script and finally the chronic pain sufferers are sent to "pain management" classes. WTF? Thinking "happy thoughts" makes pain go away?

    Another one. Kids use those "E-cigarettes" and one day a kid gets the idea to vape a chunk of THC instead of vape juice. Kid gets sick and dies, next thing you know there is a "vaping epidemic" and the "so wise" politicians want to ban flavored (with no nicotine) vape juice. Lots of kids like to "vape" flavored juice for the fun (?) of it but don't want to get hooked on nicotine. Now, by law, their only choice will to be to stop vaping or else vape nicotine loaded juice and get addicted. Great thinking there Governor (asshole)!

    What's next? If a criminal is caught wearing a red shirt, we will have a "red shirt epidemic" and anyone caught wearing one will get a felony charge?

    Speaking of drugs, I wonder what kind of shit the legislators are on... because no sane person comes up with the kind of crap they do..

  7. #7
    Senior Member NAPOTS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,011
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    WV taxes are nowhere the near criminal rates I pay here. I have a 6.5% property tax vs 0.59% for WV. Sales tax here is 8.875% vs 6% in WV. Income tax in our bracket is about 6.6% and WV is almost the same at 6.5%. Gasoline in WV (what I saw) was about 25 cents per gallon less than here.

    At every point I would save on taxes which by itself is a big plus.
    Holy shit your property tax is that high? I live in CA and its only 1%

  8. #8
    Senior Member whiskeyman's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    600
    In Kermit, West Virginia—with just 392 residents—a single pharmacy received roughly 9 million pills over the course of two years. https://qz.com/866771/drug-wholesale...inia-pharmacy/
    Last edited by whiskeyman; 11-12-2019 at 12:17 PM.

  9. #9
    Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    44th "Free" State
    Posts
    11,603
    Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
    In Kermit, West Virginia—with just 392 residents—a single pharmacy received roughly 9 million pills over the course of two years. https://qz.com/866771/drug-wholesale...inia-pharmacy/
    Hummm, sounds like it's the place to retire to if you have a lot of aches and pains.....
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

    "Never say, "gun control" but instead say, "victim disarmament." - L Neil Smith

    Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

    Freedom isn't free.

    "Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

    My Spirit Animal has rabies.

  10. #10
    Senior Member raxar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Posts
    3,686
    The issue with WV is lack of jobs. I'd love to move down there since land is cheap but employment is a concern.
    "I didn't even expect him to come up here, thinking it was that sweet. Thinking it's that candy land like that," White said. "He wanted to pickpocket everybody. But people out here, they weren't going for none of that."

    Quote Originally Posted by Spambot
    We careered round and round for perhaps an hour, flying rather than floating, getting gradually more and more into the middle of the surge, and then nearer and nearer to its horrible inner edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by ROCK ME AMADEUS
    Then Use the motherfucking PURPLE ....

  11. #11
    Senior Member JTHunter's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,317
    IF I could upload a picture, I would upload one from AARP that I got a couple of years ago that lists what is taxed in various states. WV is one of those states that has taxes on both income and Soc. Sec. benefits but also a state sales tax. The other states in that category are VT, RI, CN, ND, MN, IA, MO, NE, KS, CO, NM, & UT.
    Only two states do not tax any of those - AK & NH.
    Seven states have a sales tax but don't tax either income of SS benefits - FL, TN, TX, SD, WY, NV, & WA. And WY is one of the lowest state sales taxes with TN being one of the top 3 in the country.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

  12. #12
    Team GunsNet Bronze 10/2014

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    tennessee
    Posts
    480
    tennessee has no income tax on most incomes. we do have a higher than some sales tax. that's fine with me. if i spend it, it might get taxed. if i don't, i get to keep it. i'm retired and haven't paid income tax at all in years. car tags are $29. no bullshit state inspection stickers.

  13. #13
    Senior Member tank_monkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kalifornia
    Posts
    5,867
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Holy shit your property tax is that high? I live in CA and its only 1%
    Thank heavens I'm still under Prop 13 protection or I'd be homeless (well, at least forced to SELL my home and move to another state, which is the plan, but not just now).

    I can't afford $30K in yearly taxes.

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Pa.
    Posts
    690
    Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    The issue with WV is lack of jobs. I'd love to move down there since land is cheap but employment is a concern.
    Same with Kentucky. I was stationed there for 4 years. Great place to live but no high paying jobs.
    Don't Let the Bastards wear you down. Gen Joseph "Vinager Joe" Stillwell.

  15. #15
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Hi all,

    I've been "researching" different states looking for the right one for me.

    It seems to me that West Virginia fits my wants perfectly. I just got back from spending a week there and I loved every minute of it. Everyone seems relaxed, laid back, completely conservative and unbelievably polite. There are gun stores and churches everywhere, and people are not afraid to have "Trump 2020" stickers on their cars or Confederate flags on their hats. They correctly call the "Civil war" the "War of northern aggression". Once the people realized that I'm no "damn yankee" they opened up and treated me like I "belonged there".

    I had a completely 100% nice time there.

    So... are there any reasons NOT to consider WV as a place to live? Are there any areas to avoid? Any areas to recommend?

    I want something rural that is near (but not too near) stores, malls and such. I want a nice quiet area where I can leave my doors unlocked and not worry. And, although I don't want "slums", I also don't want an area with wealthy snobs and $million plus homes.

    A place with a few acres and a house with 2 or 3 bedrooms is really all we need.

    Advice will be appreciated!

    -- Roger
    West VA is a great place to live IMHO. Been here for 15 years.

    If you totally want to avoid liberals you might want to avoid the Panhandle (Jefferson and Berkeley Counties). If you want access to high tech medicine at some point you might want to consider the Morgantown area. I live in Jefferson County and like it but this is the richest WV County and things are pricey. I am going to suggest an area to look, i.e., look at something just outside of Berkeley Springs. Possibly West of Berkley Springs towards Pa Pa West Va along the Potomac River. A very scenic area but not all that far from urban areas. As I am sure you know West VA is a Constitutional Carry State.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkel..._West_Virginia

    The Berkeley Springs area I mention is very scenic and the town is quaint, but not all that far from two cities, Martinsburg WV and Hagerstown (in the Peoples Republic of MD).
    Last edited by jet3534; 11-13-2019 at 11:14 PM.

  16. #16
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    The issue with WV is lack of jobs. I'd love to move down there since land is cheap but employment is a concern.
    Jobs are not an issue in the WV panhandle IMHO. There are plenty of white collar jobs and good paying blue collar jobs if you can pass a drug test. In the Panhandle there is a commuter train that runs into DC where one can feed at the public trough.

  17. #17
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,883
    Quote Originally Posted by alismith View Post
    Hummm, sounds like it's the place to retire to if you have a lot of aches and pains.....
    Actually, my left leg is a mess. Playing hockey too enthusiastically I tore ligaments in my knee. Another hockey mishap ruptured my rectus femoris and vastus medialis muscles (the two inner muscles of the quadraceps). The loss of part of the quadraceps reduced the tonus (muscle tone) in my left leg so that if I'm not careful the leg will "give out" on me and make me stumble.

    Because of my totally fubar left leg, I have chronic "medium" pain and often acute pain of the "close to passing out" level.

    So to be able to function, my doctor gives me Hydrocodone/Acetominephen (opiate and Tylenol) which works a miracle on my knee pain.

    Thank goodness my doctor isn't a prick, because NY state wants to control all opiate prescriptions, treat pain patients like criminals, do urine tests, pill counts and refer patients to "pain management" doctors... but my doctor doesn't do that crap.

    All of this "opioid crisis" crap started with a kid named Michael Israel and his dad Avi. At age 12 Michael was diagnosed with Chron's disease (an autoimmune disease which attacks the intestines and colon causing extreme pain and lots of "pooping problems"). For the pain, he was given an opiate (probably hydrocodone or oxycontin). The kid realized that he was "addicted" to the pain meds (i.e. he needed them to kill the pain... DUH) and went into a detox and rehab (yeah THAT will help the pain Mike).

    Due to his depression over his illness, the withdrawal and of course the pain of his illness, he swallowed a shotgun and killed his pain for good.

    Sad story, but then his father, blaming it ALL on the pain meds, became a one man crusader trying to save all of the people with chronic pain by begging Congress to demonize, vilify and reclassify opiate containing pain meds to Schedule II (DEA highly controlled drug).

    Gee thanks Avi. Now people who NEED high power pain meds are treated like addicts and doctors who prescribe opiate pain meds are treated like dope pushers. Because of all the new paperwork necessary to prescribe these meds and the new stigma of "opioids", many doctors are saying "hell with it" and stopping writing opiate prescriptions. Plus, although common pain meds like Lortab are generic, they sell (legally at the pharmacy) for around one dollar per pill. A common prescription is 5 pills per day, for 30 days. Do the math. That's $150.00 per month if you don't have health insurance!

    So, doctor stops writing $150 per month scripts, heroin is a great opiate pain killer and it costs less. So, chronic pain sufferer has no choice but to get his pain meds from "Hector the local dope pusher".

    One day the herion is laced with something like Fentanyl and the user dies. Guess what? The overdose death is blamed on prescription pain meds and doctors who "give out pills like candy" and you have the new "gripe of the month", the (drum roll.....) OPIOID EPIDEMIC!

    The tragic deaths are not blamed on the fucking doctor-wannabe legislators who think they are qualified to meddle in the affairs of REAL M.D. doctors, they blame valid prescriptions given to people who need them. It's almost impossible to overdose on prescription opiates, yet the HEROIN overdose deaths are blamed on the prescription meds. Go figure.

    So, if WV writes out a lot of pain med prescriptions, that's even more reason to move there!

  18. #18
    Administrator Krupski's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    ┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
    Posts
    14,883
    Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    Holy shit your property tax is that high? I live in CA and its only 1%
    I live in a "viliage" which is a suburb of a town. So my property tax is double... one for the town and one for the viliage. It's the price I have to pay to live in a neighborhood that's 99% white and the worst crimes are parking tickets.

  19. #19
    Senior Member El Duce's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,968
    I live in Southern WV. I came here in 93 with the thought to only be here a year. I stayed. I wish that I knew you were going to be down this way. If you were close. We could have shot several machine guns.

  20. #20
    Senior Member jet3534's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    West VA
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Because of my totally fubar left leg, I have chronic "medium" pain and often acute pain of the "close to passing out" level.

    I have some medium level pain issues and my AM regime is 800 mg of Ibuprofin, full spectrum CBD oil, and and this product which to me is as effective as hydrocodone.

    https://www.amazon.com/Terry-Natural...qid=1573857695

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •