Thread: 10 Ways to Keep Your AR and AK Running

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post 10 Ways to Keep Your AR and AK Running

After today, it's all historical.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunreference1 View Post
    Best thing I have found for the AR/M16 is don't go crazy with the lube. About 20 years ago when I was in basic they used to come by with a squirt bottle full of clp and hose the fucker down to where it would spray out of the back of the charging handle when you shot. Strangely enough I had problems with jams. When I started using the lube more sparingly, as I do on my personal guns, the problem went away. If you have a rifle with a few rounds through it you will know that points that require lubrication, a couple drops around the gas rings where the bolt rides in the carrier, a drop or two on the cam pin, a drop on each of the rails on the bottom of the carrier where it contacts the receiver and a couple drops on the top next to the gas key where it also rides in the receiver. That's about it, you can put a drop on the trigger pin and hammer pin if they look dry but if it doesn't need it it will just attract dirt. The bolt carrier doesn't need to be dripping with oil as a lot of people like to do, most of it doesn't contact anything, look at the wear marks.